Space Camp Alumni Association?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

esftripod
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Space Camp Alumni Association?

Post by esftripod »

I know that they have been collecting a lot of data about Space camp alumni, however do they actually have some sort of alumni group?

The other camps that I have been to and worked at all have them, and they are pretty useful for the camp. Often times it is run outside of the normal camp, however it is affiliated, but run totally by alumni and friends, and they can do a lot for fund raising, and local promotions, ect... Also it allows for old timers to keep in contact, keeps the camp spirit alive, and also take an active roll in archiving the history of the camp.

i just think that an group like that would help out, especially with the turmoil that Space Camp Has been going through. (which i did not have any clue about until this year)

any thoughts on this? and do you think that we as alumni should formalize this loose association that exists ?

I just feel like there is soo much potential that is not being realized by Space Camp (such as I have not seen any promotions, or any advertising) that i feel that as an alumni, and having the camp give so much to me, that i need to give back somehow.

There is already this amazing website, that I wish i knew about sooner so the key component is there. this might just the ramblings of pulling an all-niter working on an endless GIS project, or it might be something more, or it might already exist. I have no idea
SC Florida '94
SA L1 '96
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

As of yet, there is no official Space Camp alumni association. AlumniAndi has a myspace website set up for alumni, and I'm sure you can find a link for that on Hab1 somewhere.

Otherwise, it looks like Space Camp is honouring its alumni a bit more in recent years with the alumni camps and events. They may be working towards some sort of alumni association but there is no hard evidence yet.

I agree with some of the benefits to having an alumni group, but with nobody to head it up, it may remain one of the many wishes we have for Space Camp that never materialise.

Here's hoping...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I suggested to Andi just a day or two ago the idea of a yearly Alumni Day at the Rocket Center. One day out of the year, in the spring perhaps, set aside for Camp alumni to catch up with old team mates and meet new people, and see what is new at Camp and the Rocket Center. It wouldn't have to be a big flashy production like the anniversary events, but maybe have a dinner or guest speaker.

I agree that an alumni association is very, very long overdue. I think there would be a lot more return visits (which means more $$$ in the bank for the Rocket Center) if we had some sort of organisation. If only I lived in Huntsville, I wouldn't mind heading it up (with the help of great people like Andi and Vincent).
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner