amusing physics problem

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

cheshire
Camper
Camper

amusing physics problem

Post by cheshire »

Okay, I'm probably revealing my completely geeky sense of humor by posting this, but I don't care. My AP Physics teacher gave this "problem" to us for the heck of it.
Use prefixes to express the following.
(a) 1e6 phones
megaphones
(b) 1e-6 phone
microphone
(c) 1e1 cards
dekacards
(d) 1e9 lows
gigalows
(e) 1e12 bulls
terabulls
(f) 1e-1 mate
decimate
(g) 1e-2 pede
centipede
(h) 1e-9 nannette
nanonannette
(i) 1e-12 boo
picoboo
(j) 1e-18 boy
attoboy
(k) 2e2 withits
2hectowithits
(l) 2e3 mockingbirds
2kilomockingbird
"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Haha. Thats moderatly amusing. I never get anything amusing like that in my homework...
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

On a similar but different note, do they still use the 'Martian Madness' problem at ASA? It is a math problem to figure out whether or not you can get your crew safely back to Earth from a mission 'failure' on Mars. The MSs did it when I was there in 1998. We didn't use it in 1999, but have they used it since? It is really simple, but people make it so complicated.

I have given it to a few of my teachers over the years and they liked it too. I think my technical college teacher uses it in his problem solving class now.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
cheshire
Camper
Camper

Post by cheshire »

I haven't run into a problem by that name at ASA ever.
What is it?
"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE!!
PM me with your answers and I will let you know if you are correct or not.

MARTIAN MADNESS

You and a fellow crewmate have landed on Mars while two other astronauts remain aboard the Mars Orbiter. You have been on the surface for a couple of days, performing exploration, research, photography, and sample collection. Both of you have done EVA's together for a total time thus far of 5 hours and 50 minutes. After a long stretch of work, you both settle down in the Mars Lander to enjoy a meal. Suddenly, an alarm goes off and an indicator light is glowing. Much to your dismay, some of the Lander's oxygen tanks have lost all pressure. There is enough pressure in one tank to provide 50 minutes worth of oxygen to the Lander! In addition, the Lander's propulsion system (that you need to leave Mars) has failed! Time is of the essence!

The following is a list of information you are able to obtain from the Lander computer's memory banks. Use this information and your creative thinking skills to figure out a solution that will keep you and your crewmate alive!

•Earth to Sun distance: 150,000,000 km Orbit: near circular
•Mars to Sun distance: 228,000,000 km Orbit: near circular
•Speed of radio signals: 300,000 km/sec
•Earth is at inferior conjunction with Mars (Conjunction means that two or more celestial bodies appear to be very close together in the sky. Inferior means the planet is on the same side of the Sun as you are.)
•Lander propulsion system status: Malfunction
•Engine repair: Instructions erased - must receive from MOCR
•Estimated time for MOCR to locate instructions: 3O min
•Estimated engine repair time: 2 hr 15 min EVA
•Next launch windows for orbiter rendezvous and dock: 1.5 hrs, 3.0 hrs, 4.5 hrs from now
•Estimated time from launch to dock with Mars Orbiter: 2 hrs 20 min
•Total suit EVA capability: 10 hrs with 30 min O2 reserve
•Suit prep time: 20 min
•Suit don time: 1O min

Hints: Make a timeline beginning with 00 hrs 00 min. This will be the time of the first thing(s) you will begin doing. Remember that you must dock with the Mars orbiter before you run out of oxygen! Also, remember that you are using up Lander oxygen for as long as you are not wearing suits. Once you have donned the suits, you are using up suit oxygen and conserving Lander oxygen. Even though you may spend 15-20 minutes on this problem, do not count this time in the solution. We will assume that your astronaut training was so thorough that it took you virtually no time at all to devise a solution.

Questions:
1) How many minutes of oxygen do you have left when you dock with the Mars Orbiter?
2) Would you be able to make it if Earth was at superior conjunction? Why or why not?
3) How long, in total, does it take you to dock with the Mars Orbiter?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017