What do you do?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

What do you do?

Post by SpaceCanada »

In response to Sam asking me 'what do you do?', I figured I would start a thread for people to write down either (a) what they are studying or (b) what they do for their career.

We all know Vincent is a Space Camp counsellor for his summer job, and many of us wish we could be working alongside of him, but what is he studying in school?

So... Sam, in response to your question, I am an engineering designer/draftsperson. I work for a company that designs metal panels that cover the exteriors of buildings. They look really cool. We put panels on all kinds of buildings, like jails, schools, apartment buildings, etc.

What I specifically do is look at the architect's drawings for a buiding, find out where the want our metal panels to go, and then I have to design the panels to go on that part of the building. I make drawings of the panels, get them approved by the architect, and then make an order form so that the guys in the back can make the panels the way we want them.

Any questions?

So, what does everyone else do for their jobs? What will everyone be studying in college/university/technical school?
Last edited by SpaceCanada on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
SamM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by SamM »

wow that actually sounds like a lot of fun!

i'm going to study aeronautical/ aerospace engineering in college (hopefulyl at MIT)....i can't wait!
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

This fall I will study Computer Systems Networking. More specifically networking with Novell. That way I can afford to go back to college for my next degree in psychology :). But yeah to pay for the first one I lifeguard at a pool behind my house.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
spacebarfie
Camper
Camper

Post by spacebarfie »

i want to study aeronautical/aerospace engineering in college.
~Katie

SC August 1999
SA June 2001
ASA July 2003
ASA 8-day July 2004
ASA 12-day June 26th-July 8th 2005
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I start Conservation Biology in the fall.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

I wanna do aerospace... big suprise there for me yeah i know

oh and vincent majors in something to do with computers.....he told me what it was at camp and i was not at all suprised
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

well, i work at billings farm and museum which is a working dairy farm and museum of vermont's agricultural history in the late 1800's...i also work at pizza chef which is a very busy local resturant.
and in six days i'm leaving for Clarkson University where i will major in aeronautical engineering with a minor in physics.
we'll see where that takes me.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

im a high school senior! woohoo! lol.
though, next year...i want to double majour in mechanical engineering and biology with a possible minour in dance. (i know, suicide, but it sounds like fun!) :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I too am a high school senior! YAY!
Next year I'd like to major in aerospace engineering with a minor in physics and/or spanish. I'd also like to participate in a co-op program. I'd double major in aerospace and mechanical engineering, but I've been told that if i want to co-op it's not gonna happen.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

im still co-oping.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
.: Pj :.
Camper
Camper

Post by .: Pj :. »

I'm studying medecine
ISC 2004 ( Belgium ), Shepard-team
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, it sounds like everyone has some really interesting jobs. I am sure they are all fascinating. Then again, I find everything fascinating. I can be amazed by anyone's job, really, because every job is so unique, and they all take so much talent. Wow!

I wish I could tase every job, but for now, I'll stick with what I am doing. When I was in my last year of secondary school (Form 6/Year 12) it was so tough for me to make a decision on what to do next because I had so many options available to me: culinary arts, photography, engineering, francophone education, nursing, and agriculture were all things I wanted to do!

I tried the whole Mechanical Engineering thing at the university for a year, but coming from a small town, the HUGE (50-500) class sizes and individual competition were extremely overwhealming! (I had never had a class size more than 20-24 before!) Thus, I opted to attend a technical school for two years. It was a lot more what I wanted, heaps more hands-on work, more realistic problems, and I got a lot more out of it than I think I would at university. (Not to mention they let us build models, blow things up, and have open-textbook exams!)

I also applied for ROTC straight out of secondary school. I wanted to become a Flight Navigations officer. However, something to do with my eyes (and it was nothing to do with my eyesight, as my mate with 20/10 vision had the same problem) held me back. They offered me any position I wanted with the exception of Pilot and Flight Nav. I was so upset! Oh well, I denied their offer. I think I managed fairly well with what I did.

Oh, and on Saturday mornings from September to May I teach swimming and springboard diving lessons at the local (indoor) swimming pool. I started that job the summer between Form 6 and university. I cannot give up that job because it is just too much fun - the town pays me to have fun for 4 hours every Saturday and I get free access to the pool whenever I want, so I am happy!

In the end, I am very happy with where I am. All I need to do now is get married so I can move away from my parents and into a place of my own; hopefuly that won't take too long. So, everyone must know me pretty well by now. That's my novel for today. ;-)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
SamM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by SamM »

hah it seems like everyone knows pretty much what they want to do

ok i really want a double PhD in aerospace engineering and aeronautical engineering from MIT (it's crazy i know..but it's part of my goal to be an astronaut) then i want to major in astrophysics and get a minor in either french and/or russian...all the while i'll be flying a lot because wahoo i'm within 4 months of soloing! it's gong to be sweet ..i love flying...my favorite airplane to fly is the diamond eclipse..it's so much fun..haha i haven't been up in like 4 weeks because of music camp so i'm really looking forward to getting to the airport tomorrow!! anyway i don't really know how i got talking about this so it might be smart for me to stop now :lol:
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I am an end user support technician in the corporate headquarters for an industry leader in customer support solutions (i.e., when you call Microsoft and talk to someone in the Philipines who you can't understand, you could be talking to a Sykes agent; I fix computers for Sykes here in Tampa). I also run tblightningentertainment.com and I'm going to USF for business.
Ad astra per aspera.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

haha see I would want to do aerospace but definately have the minor in spanish if at all possible just to not waste all the years ive put in to being good at spanish.
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

i either want to go to A) the air force academy, which is cool cuz when i went to the AFA tennis camp this June i talked to the tennis coach and she said she might be able to get me in through my tennis! go me! fly jets! woot. or B) go to Johns Hopkins or Washington University St.Louis(my daddy went there) and go to med school and become a pediatric cardiologist.

im definitly leaning towards choice A since playing college tennis would be mega cool at the USAFA and the opportunity is open to me.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
SamM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by SamM »

haha that's so sweet that you might become a pediatric cardiologist...that's what i wanted to be when i was younger..and then i realized that i really wanted to be an astronaut!
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

yea.. but thats my 2nd choice my first is engineering at the USAFA
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well primarily i am a student at Christopher Newport University studying history for my bachelors then i'm going to get my Masters in secondary education. I also work as a museum educator for the Virginia Air and Space Center teaching their educational programs to school kids and doing public demos as well as summer day camps during the summer months.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador