A Newbie's Semi-Long list of ?s

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Mina
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

A Newbie's Semi-Long list of ?s

Post by Mina »

Hi, I'm new here and I guess quite lucky to find this board two days before I go off to ASA. I've been scouring the HabForum and have learned the value of duct tape and extra blankets, but there's a few other questions that I still have, such as:

- Is it true that they have food for vegetarians, or do they just tell you to take the meat out of your burger, etc.?

- Sorry for being very general, but what do you do at ASA? Could someone explain in a few words about briefings, missions, Area 51, etc.?

- Yes or no on cellphones? If I take one I plan on keeping it in my locker all day and perhaps take it out at night to call home a few times.

- What does a pilot do? Hehe I signed up for that track only b/c I didn't want to scuba (I can hardly swim :( )

- Do you really get college credit?

- And most importantly, is anyone leaving for camp in like two days for a six-day stay? lol

Sorry 'bout this - I always like to know what's coming off before it happens :wink: . And thanks for reading :).
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

welcome!

they do have vegetarian foods (im one too) though its mainly garden burgers (the gross ones, not boca) every day. sometimes there is a vegetarian version of the main meal like vegetarian lasagna. there is a salad bar and veggies at every meal. its not that hard to find food if you dont want the burgers. my advice! take crackers at every meal. you'll be hungry later on and the meal times are so varied.

at asa, you go to briefings like solar physics, systems, crew, russian space history, radio telescopes, etc. area 51 is a team building activity where you do hands on things. its something you have to live through in order to understand. lol. missions are broken into four practice (two at a time for two hours each) and one extended duration mission (edm) for six hours. there are positions in mission control (mocr), the internation space station and the orbiter. you choose your position for the edm, but the counselors place you for your practice in order to give you a chance to do each area.

cellphones...up to you. most people bring them. though they ARE against the rules. (stating that so i dont get yelled at again. lol.) most counselors don't care as long as you dont use them during a mission or briefings. i say they're okay for calling home. plus, if you're flying, it makes it easier.

pilots fly as commander or pilot (clever, huh? lol.) in orbiter, flight engineer in station, and capcom, flight director or whatever else needs to be done in mocr. you also go over to aviation challenge (the sister program training people to become fighter pilots) and fly their mach I simulators.

yes, you do get an hour college credit from university of alabama huntsville (uah). it is transferable so you dont have to go there to get the credit. you may receive up to three credits.

i hope you have tons of fun. im sure you will. everyone leaves knowing more than just about space. its fun to make friends from all over the country and the world! have fun and tell us how it went when you get back! have fun!
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

That pretty much covers it! Have lots of fun! Of course we know you will lol.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Mina
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Mina »

Thanks, you two. :D
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

The counsellors are all awesome and will help make your week a great experience.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
spacemusician
Camper
Camper

Post by spacemusician »

there is one thing that you might wanna watch out for and that is that some sessions have it where pilots scuba also. the people including me who could not or choose not to scuba eaither did a project with mission specilists or usually repeat the same activty that they did earlier that day with their own track. but i mean thats only a couple hours where the rest of the week is going to be the week of your life as long as you are open to having fun :D
The thing that drives me most is that people tell me that ill never be an astronaut. My love and passion for space will lead me to new heights, hopefully back to the moon or mars.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

oh! bring flip flops! (for the showers!!!) you'll be glad you did! lol...
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

the sodas are kind of expensive. so, buy one at the beginning of the week and use that bottle to fill up with soda from meals. dont do it at the machines (they get really mad.) fill up a glass with soda, no ice and pour it in once you get back to the table. it saves tons of money. especially if you're addicted to caffeine like i am! lol.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

:-D you are le-brilliant, meg.
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

"Happy New Year! OH WAIT, IT'S NOT THE NEW YEAR YET."
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol, i am! lol.

kinda makes me feel badly for calling you a dork in your user thread. lol. eh. you know we love you! :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

Plus you got me addicted to Hot Action Cop.
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

"Happy New Year! OH WAIT, IT'S NOT THE NEW YEAR YET."
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol. shhhh. dont tell anyone that! :wink:
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
Mina
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Mina »

Some more last minute questions, eep:

1. Is it a good idea to bring a hair dryer? What are the bathrooms like?

2. I know this is a general airport question, but is it best to put film in checked luggage? If you bring it in a carry-on and have to go through security and tell them you have unexposed film in your bags, is it worth the hassle?

Eh, I think I'm just jittery...
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

you'll be fine!

i never use a hair dryer only because you usually only have an hour to get ready, both at the end and beginning of each day. the bathrooms are set up where there are individual stalls for showers, sinks, and toilets. there are three different bathrooms on the forth floor. the side with two bathrooms (to your right when you walk into the hab. also where the elevators are located. (use them on move in and out day. it makes it a whole lot easier!)) the bathroom on the side with the elevators are the best to take showers. they are usually the first filled, so take your pick on the other two. its not bad, but shower quickly! lol. always wear shoes! (i know thats a rule, but actually, you could just wear socks around. dont! lol.) wear flipflops or something into the bathrooms. they tend to get a little gross. lol.

film should be put in your carryon. if its slower film (200/400) it will be okay with xrays for carryon security. at hsv (the airport in huntsville) they don't use xray machines which is nice. so you dont have to worry about it on the flight home. i go through minneapolis/st paul's airport with incredibly tight security and im fine. so dont worry!

since we are on the topic of film...im no where near the knowledge that some people are on the hab, but i suggest if you have a real camera, also take a disposable one. its perfect for inside/flash pictures. it is much more useful.

you'll do fine. its tons of fun. and im the type to worry before i go and i have everything i need. if you do forget something and discover you need it, tell a counselor, they always are more than happy to run to walmart for you!
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

meg wrote:i never use a hair dryer only because you usually only have an hour to get ready, both at the end and beginning of each day.
there are hand dryers in the bathrooms. you can use those to dry your hair if you are in a rush. otherwise, others tend to bring theirs if you decide you can't live without it.
Last edited by meg on Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
spacebarfie
Camper
Camper

Post by spacebarfie »

i'm sure that you will do fine. you'll have such a great time that it will go by really quickly and the counslers are always great fun. have a great time.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

A little delay in reponse, but whatever...

Hairdryers: I never bring one. In fact, even though my hair is down to my mid-back, curly, and extremely thick, I don't even own one. heck, I don't even know how to use one! Braids work. ;-)

Film: Anything ISO 800 or higher should not be exposed to the X-ray machines. I usually put my film in my carry-on and take out the film (put it in the tray with your keys) so it bypasses the x-rays. It really doesn't matter unless you have to go through security more than twice. If you are like me, and have to go through security in Huntsville for the local flight, and again in Houston for an international flight, film gets subjected to four or more security checks, which can fuzz up your film. Oh, and for us International people, they appreciate it if you bring 8 or less rolls of unprocessed film with you. Some customs requirement. I'll give some of my film to my friend so I don't go over the limit... hahaha... I'm such a nerd!

PS - Does anyone know the Houston IAH airport well? How far is it from the Continental/Delta local flight terminal to the Continental/Delta international flight terminal? I only have an hour between flights, and that includes an international flight security check. I hope that's enough time!! (I'll have to keep a snack packed for the return trip, because there will definitely NOT be enough time to stop for food.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

the airport isnt that bad. things are easily accesible and it doesnt take very long to get across the airport. there is a food court in the middle by security with a mickey d's, a pizza place, etc...theres more of a sit down food place located in most terminals. there is a cool train that takes you around. if you have time, take it! lol, its cool it takes you through the marriot and stuff. anyhoo, have fun!
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I had 20 minutes to run through the Houston airport and made it just in time to board my plane.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol, its a nice airport though! great gift shop! lol.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.