Fun things to bring to camp?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I cannot see a problem with digital cameras. A camera is a camera in my eyes. I don't think they would prevent someone from capturing memories of camp on film or digital media. Video recorders would probably be a different story though.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Alright... another question... they don't tend to have much theft from locked lockers, do they? I mean, the only way someone could get in is knowing how to crack them (which, apparently, you can learn more easily than you'd think) or looking over your shoulder...
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

Drumrollz wrote:Its like saying that its the law that you can't jaywalk in New York City, but the cops aren't gonna cart you off just because you jaywalked. In fact, they'll probably ignore you.
in saint paul, they are giving tickets for jaywalking. i was given a warning and they said the next time, its 300 dollars.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

i don't want this to sound like its attacking...it is not attacking people, its complaining about the rules...that said...
SpaceCanada wrote:1. No non-essential electronics, such as computers, PDAs, personal radios, video games, etc. Most places I go don't even let you bring electronic toothbrushes, it's just one of the rules...
okay, that's not cool. cause i have an electric toothbrush. and that's not right if they go that far.
SpaceCanada wrote:2. People travel with mobile phones, but when you arrive at camp they must be turned off and stowed. If you are going to use them, call your parents at night but keep it short. Then, promptly return the phone to your locker. Never bring it anywhere else; that's just rude.
while yes i agree walking through rocket park while talking on your cell phone is rude, i don't think it should be that we aren't allowed to have our cells. i have friends who need to and want to keep in touch. and as long as i don't offend anyone, i don't think its a problem.
SpaceCanada wrote:3. Music devices should be stowed in your locker when you get to camp. They stay there until you go home. Vocal chords, a few good jokes, and some stories will be just as entertaining.
i can't sleep unless i have music. the noises of people running in the hall coming back from missions, the people in my room who snore and talk in their sleep, and some *ahem* counselors bouncing their bouncy tennis balls off the walls in the hab...lol...prevent me from sleeping. i can't possibly get to sleep without music. again, if im not listening to it while im in briefings, then why is it a problem? plus, i know a multitude of counselors that bring their pdas into missions so we can listen to music.
SpaceCanada wrote:Sure some of those things could be fun, but they aren't necessary and they have a good chance of creating tension between people who didn't bring things and those who did.
personally, i don't see how bringing a cd player to listen at night can destroy your friendships made at camp.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I totally agree. I had my cell with me the whole time at AC and it never bothered anyone at all. I never talked on it during inappropriate times and as said by many people; it is so much easier to talk on a cell to your parents in your room than to wait in line at night... even though this means i cant look out the phycadelic window... darn:D
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

coffeediver wrote:It not whether you like it or not, it's the rule.
I don't really think most of us are trying to say that we don't like it. I think we're just saying at times it seems illogical. If that's the rule then I'll stick to it, but in the past I've not known it was an actual rule. From what I remember (and it appears I'm not the only one), it was simply strongly advised against and counselors seemed to have no problem with people using their cell phones to call home during appropriate times.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

just like she said, we're not going to break the rules to be delinquents, but we are just trying to ask why can't we do things that would make things more comfortable and easier for us.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I'm not necessarily just thinking of myself either, I'm also trying to think of the other trainees (those younger who do not have cell phones and want to call home) and counselors. Here are a couple of examples examples:

music to sleep-this helps maintain team cohesion and prevents fights between two people who are cranky because of the noise (granted the noise doesn't bother me usually, but I live right next to an airport and am used to it) it also helps prevent sloppy mistakes during the missions. Counselors also don't have to deal as much with people falling asleep during briefings. To some people music is to them what my teddy bear (yes I'm 17 and have a teddy bear) is to me.

cell phones: allows other campers to use the scarce phones so more people can call home at the same time so more people get to bed on time which makes life easier on the counselors when it comes time for lights out
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

nice!

plus, since counselors cannot go into our rooms, how would they know if we have a cd player hidden in our lockers?
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I'm not talking about hiding it. When I say the counselors were ok with it I mean, they would stand right there and talk to us while we used our cell phones and stuff.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

i know, but im meaning others who don't necessarily go up to certain floors that are having issues with it, how would they know we have those things? grey shirts don't go into rooms. counselors can't go into rooms. so how would they really prevent people from having a cell or cd player in their room?
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Isn't there something that says they can randomly search rooms as long as we're not in there?
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

where does it say that?!?
i was always told they can't go into our rooms. maybe that's just when we're there.
but if they think there are drugs or something, then they would go in. so maybe they can search our rooms. freaky... :oops: ...maybe ill keep my area a little cleaner. :wink:
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol, lindsey, i swear im going now.
ZZZZZzzzzzzzz!!!
stupid retreats. lol, jk!
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Well im just gonna let ya'll know, i will be bringing an mp3 player to sleep to... it wont be loud lol. But i can see arguments for and against the rules, however, i have never known a counselor that had a real big problem with any of them as long as they were used appropriately. A kid last year brought a cd player and small speakers to listen to during the edm and in thier room in the morning, nobody had a problem with it.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

My other thought was, what about the people who bring mp3 players, cd players and cell phones for the plane ride and the airports. I had to take my cell phone to contact my mom when i arrived back in detroit, i also brought my mp3 player mainly for my plane ride. I also keep it locked in my locker when ever im not using it. I just dont see how they can ever completely ban these items because people take them for the long travel periods on the way to camp.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

Guys, think about this logically. People who are going to space camp, especially those who go multiple times, are geeks. And I mean that in the good way.

However, there are a LOT of us who are very posessive of our electronics. You would think, at Space Camp, people would appreciate that. [/u]
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

"Happy New Year! OH WAIT, IT'S NOT THE NEW YEAR YET."
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Yeah, but the fewer things they allow, the fewer number of things trainees will actually bring, leading to fewer instances of expensive electronics getting lost, stolen, broken, etc.

And though they're not responsible, a week of Space Camp wouldn't be quite as fun if you dropped your digital camera on the ground the first day.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

...which is exactly why my parents bought me a nice case for mine with a neck strap when they purchased my digital camera. I highly recommend it if you're going to be bringing one.

But I still understand your point, Vincent... just thought I'd throw that recommendation out there.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.