the book, Space Camp: the adventure for nasa hopefuls

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

spacemusician
Camper
Camper

the book, Space Camp: the adventure for nasa hopefuls

Post by spacemusician »

omg so i was looking throgh my box-o-old-stuff yesterday in the basement and i found this book about space camp where it follows a kid through her week long experience and tells everything cool that she did. i used to read this book eevery night after i found out that i was going to sapce camp fro the first time and then everynight when i came came home to remind me of how wicked awsome it was. does anyone else have this book or even clsoely as obsessed with it as i was?
The thing that drives me most is that people tell me that ill never be an astronaut. My love and passion for space will lead me to new heights, hopefully back to the moon or mars.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I'm not familiar with that one i do remember one called The Space Camp adventure or somethijng like that but it was pretty generic as far as details. They had pictures from several of the programs included but it really didnt seem to be following someone day by day like the one you described. I'll have to see if i can find that one.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I was equally obsessed with various other books and such with space camp in them. I had a copy of discover kids with some pictures from space camp and an eyewitness book (space transportation or something like that) which i looked at constantly before going to camp. I also watched the Bill Nye the Science Guy tape about astronomy cause it had clips from camp on it :oops: . And then i watched space camp the movie like every day after ordering it. Speaking of which in the credits for Apollo 13 space camp is credited! I was just a little obsessed with anything to do with space camp before my first trip... not that anything has changed lol.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

It isn't a book, and I am slightly off topic, and for that I apologise in advance...

The day before my first trip to ASA my family and I went to see 'Armageddon' in theatres. I think a lot of people got really upset with me because I would see something (like the NBL) and go nuts. I'd point at the screen, tell my family "I get to do that at camp" and what not... Funny thing is that I hardly remembered what actually happened in the film. I was too excited about space and camp that I guess I wasn't paying too much attention to the plot!

Anyway... back to books... I have never seen a Space Camp book exactly, but they did feature Space Camp Spatial Canada on Popular Mechanics for Kids (a television show). I was jealous because the hosts of te show got to wear royal blue flight suits instead of the light blue ones.

I still look through my binder of Space Camp stuff often. I flip through the Program Guides, the worksheets, the pictures... If anything, camp gave me a strange mental condition: spatial obsession. Anyway, I'm just as weird as most of you!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Hmm... you know that extremely old school Space Camp video that shows in the museum on that light-up orbiter when it's not talking about the engines and whatnot? Yeah... I used to have that on video... I have no idea where it went... but I used to watch it all the time back before I was old enough. But I don't think I watched it when I was hyped up for my first time at Camp.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i remember going to camp the first year we drove down there. I spent alot of the 16 hour drive reading and rereading the 1991 program guide. I couldnt wait to experiance everything it described and gave me a look into my future going to the other programs i went to. As for videos i've seen 2 one i actually have a copy of is from 1985-86 time frame it features the old training center andt is alot diffrent then when any of us went to camp. This video shows only 2 camp programs Space Camp level 1 and Space camp level 2. the equivelant of the current space camp and space academy. The other video is from sometime in the 90s but i dont know what happened to my copy of and its the camp we all know and love. It featured all the current programs at the time and had some basic info on each.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

MNathaniel wrote:Hmm... you know that extremely old school Space Camp video that shows in the museum on that light-up orbiter when it's not talking about the engines and whatnot? Yeah... I used to have that on video... I have no idea where it went... but I used to watch it all the time back before I was old enough. But I don't think I watched it when I was hyped up for my first time at Camp.
omg that is seriously the greatest little movie ever. ever ever. last year i watched it so many times. its so addicting. thats incredible that you had a copy. now i need to find one.
i have the dumb mary kate and ashley go to space camp movie. and another one called someday i want to be an astronaut where there are 2 kids and sc/ac.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

just dug this post up b/c i saw on one of the old newsletters an ad for the book...

is this the book everyone is talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Camp-Great- ... 46&sr=8-23
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

that book is at my school library!
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong