First step the board... next step improvements?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

First step the board... next step improvements?

Post by coffeediver »

Read this exciting news:

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ ... 154141.xml

Well, it's the first step in the right direction. Now if the powers that be would only sweep down, cut Capps' (and the rest of the excess fat upstairs) salary in half, kill his car stipend, and downsize a lot of the cheifs running around, maybe things will start getting done.

There is nothing "disruptive" about the board getting the can. In the three years I've worked/volunteered at the Center, the board has done nothing. They take up all the good parking spaces, and get to make decisions regarding a program that:

1- None of them have ever attended
2- None of them have ever worked
3- None of them really give a rip about

It's going to be interesting to see what the next few days hold upstairs. Will keep you posted as best I can.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Well, the article seems not to indicate this is a sweep of the board...he could simply legally appoint them all back to the board after they "resign."

At the same time, while I do not feel they have been particularly effective, they haven't managed to screw things up as bad as things were a few years ago.

Still, change would probably be a good thing.

Only time will tell, I suppose.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

So I just got back from the post office having Express-mailed my own point of view to Governor Riley. With a bit of luck, it will make it up the food chain to him.

if you'd like to write him regarding this matter, you can send mail to:

Governor Bob Riley
State Capitol
600 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36130

or there's a form to email the governor here.

It goes without saying that any correspondence sent to the governor should be calm, courteous, and respectful.

To give you some idea of the direction you would perhaps like to take, here's a snippet from my letter:
Having just read from The Huntsville Times that you have asked all of the board members of the Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission to resign, I am drafting this letter in an effort to help restore to the board that which it needs most: spirit.

<more letter stuff was here>

For quite some time, there has been a general sense of resentment by those who love Space Camp against those who run it. It often feels as if they have been quite out of touch with why Space Camp is such a remarkable thing. By forcing the Commission to resign, you have created a unique opportunity to correct the mistakes of your predecessors and make a real difference to such a special place. It is my hope that you seize this moment.

I thank you for your time, and look forward to reading more as the story unfolds.
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

Noble effort Vincent, but your letter will probably never make it to the Gov's hands. Instead it will probably be read by some volunteer in his office and promptly "file 13'd." No harm in trying though....

Ok, here's an update:
http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ ... 119310.xml

This is one thing I do agree with the Governor on (I didn't vote for him). There is a need to get rid of all the old blood in order to make improvements to the Center as a whole. By forcing the board to resign and resubmit applications you create an opportunity to allow new, and more qualified, persons to helm this great place (As many of you forget, there is more here than just Camp). I've always questioned the qualifications of the members of the board, and hopefully as a result of this purge people with the correct qualifications will start to run things.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

That's fine. I would actually be shocked if he read it himself.

But it is my understanding that the way most politicians keep track of the issues people care about is by how many letters they get regarding a matter (or, more correctly stated, how many letters their staff get regarding a matter).

So one letter represents x number of people that feel the same way (since most people don't actually write to their politicians, but still have opinions nonetheless).

If a staffer were to read enough letters like mine, the issue would certainly be brought to the Governor's attention.

Either way, I'm just trying to do my part.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I wonder if letters from people who are from other countries will be recognised in this effort. Either way, I will fill in some comments on their online form to help out the USSRC! I believe in fighting for things that I care about, and this deserves a good effort by all...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I just changed my right about the "being shocked" part of the last post.

He'll get to read it. :wink:
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Well... my letter has been submitted. While I doubt letters from foreigners will be taken with any weight, I hope this one will help. Who knows, if they get a letter from a foreigner, maybe they will realise just how important this situation is. And so... my letter follows for those who may be interested in reading it:
Good Day Sir:

I have recently read an article in the Huntsville Times stating that you have requested the 14 members of the Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission to resign. I think this is a grand move that will benefit the US Space and Rocket Center and it's residing US Space Camp.

While I am not a resident of Alabama, nor the United States for that matter, I have visited the US Space and Rocket Center (USSRC) when I attended the US Space Camp. I think both of thes organisations are truly wonderful and deserve government officials who respect both the organisations and the people they inspire.

Your request for the resignation of this Commission can be used to benefit the future of the USSRC and US Space Camp. The past members of this Commission have made some uninformed decisions. I feel that replacing these old members with more competent members, people who better understand how the USSRC and US Space Camp influence and inspire youth, will greatly benefit not only the State of Alabama, or the United States of America, but the world itself.

Local, Interstate, and International patrons, such as myself, experience life-changing events while visitng these facilities. It would be such a shame for this opportunity to revolutionise the Commission to be wasted. I hope that you will make the right decisions with this matter.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Nicely done!
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

While doing some research I found this little snippet:

http://www.billingsgazette.com/region/2 ... reg01.html

This speaks volumes as to the members of the board. Granted, they have wonderful backgrounds (do the research yourself), but if any of the others on the board have skeltons like this in their closet, are they really fit to head an organization that manages the largest dedicated space museum in the world and one of the top childrens camps in the world? Granted, this was a long time ago (2000), but this man is still a member of the board. Well, at least until tomorrow. :lol:
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I e-mailed the governor with quite a long message urging him to take care in selecting a new board and choose members who were passionate about space and educating people about it. I tried to tie it in with his legacy as governor and how the USSRC was where people really learned about Alabama's contribution to the country's space program. That'll always get political leaders, they want to make their consituents look good becuase it reflects on them.

And, hey, with a big enough write-in campaign, I bet we can get him to rename the center 'Enterprise'. :lol:
Ad astra per aspera.
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Greetings all.

I have no idea what is going on in Montgomery, but I am so glad to see that the Governor is taking measures to take care of such an important state agency.

In the past people who have more than likely never even made a paid visit the U.S. Space & Rocket Center have been board members. It was a political game. I hope that Governor Riley will place some common sense on this next board and have people that want to make sure that this agency is able to continue to inspire young and old visitors from around the world.

I have more... but I think I have said enough.