good ol' times...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I have never gone to camp with out ending up in sickbay once (not including dive stuff). First year i think i just needed tylenol. The second year i almost cut my finger off during the egg drop construction, they wouldnt let me play with the scissors any more after that. The next year i was there for two weeks and i jumped off the net thing on the AC obstacle course and screwed my foot up for like 3 months. Then i just get random bloody noses (right before a dive) and an infected knee that the counselors flip out about. The problem with sickbay is that you go in there with a tiny cut and you leave missing apendages. I swear they make giant mountains out of molehills there. But if it wernt for the nurses i would have seroius problems lol.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Benji wrote:Every night, I had to unbandage it to shower and then go back to sickbay to have it redone. I got pretty friendly with the nurses...
OMG...
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Yeah. I don't remember what my problem was the year after that, but I had to go to sick bay a few times that week, too.
Ad astra per aspera.
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Had to remember those friendly times with the nurses again..
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I've been to sick bay 3 times not including for dive stuff. The first 2 were both in 91. I was a victim of bad scheduling when we had the MAT right after a lunch of Chilli dogs. Never threw up but wasnt feeling so hot. Keep in mind back then you had alot fewer choices of what to eat than you do now. All they had me do was lay down for a while and later i was back with my team going to MSFC. The next time was the last day of camp in 91 when i woke up with a monster headache and ended up in sickbay but they wouldnt give me any tylenol they just had me lay down with a washcloth on my head. Now both of these were in the old sickbay that use to be on the upper floor of Hab 2. I know later it was moved to the lower floor. Heck i dont even know if they have beds in the one on the lower floor. The only time i ever went to the one on the lower floor was in 96 when my dad had written on my health info that it was ok to give tylenol or aspirin for any headaches i might get. Which i got somewhat frequently. And the medical people wanted to know if i had brougyht any with me. I had just showered and gotten ready to relax for the night when they made me go from the barn at AC all the way over to hab 2 to let them know i dint have any with me. The only other sickbay visit was for dive stuff in 98.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Last year I was on antibiotics for some reason or another so I was at sick bay 4 times a day, and then there's my migraines which are affected by changes in the atmosphere(when fronts come in and stuff). Also last year, on the last night, we were out by the vending machines and go figure I tripped over the sidewalk on the way inside and landed flat on my face, (well my knee took most of it actually). About 15 minutes later I realized there was blood running down my leg and had to go to sickbay to get it bandaged up. I had to take the bandage off to take a shower later that night and that was when I notice it was swollen almost to the size of a softball. So, the counselors made me go back down to sickbay to get ice for it. It was still swollen 2 1/2 months later when school started and is still tender if I land on it wrong. Anyway, that's my sickbay story. The nurses know me on sight every year, b/c of my meds and b/c I'm such a klutz.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Oh yeah, and Meg the time I got sunburned was about a month before I was supposed to go to camp at a track meet (I was a manager). I was outside all day (8-10 hrs. or so) w/o sunscreen holding a clipboard with white papers and a metal clip which reflected the sunlight right back onto my face. I missed a day and a half of school I think before my mom took me to the doctor. I had really bad sun poisoning and was on an antibiotic and told to use at least spf 50 for the next two months. My face peeled for weeks, and it wasn't your normal peeling either it was pretty gross.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

It suprises me that i never got sunburn at space camp. Especially since of my 4 trips were in July. And with as much time as we spent outside at aC its a real feat that i never got sunburn especially since i dont think i ever used sunscreen even though i did alot of swimming in the lake that week.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
spacemusician
Camper
Camper

Post by spacemusician »

once they kicekd me out of sickbay because my fever was down from 101 to 99.9 so technically it wasnt a high grade temp anymore even though i was still throwing up
The thing that drives me most is that people tell me that ill never be an astronaut. My love and passion for space will lead me to new heights, hopefully back to the moon or mars.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I hope you ran...I hate being in that place so much.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well noone likes to be in sickbay. I mean who wants to be stuck there when you should be out their with your teamhaving fun and learning about space exploration. Thankfully my only experiances in sickbay were at the end of the week.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

Heh. For some reason, I'm always sick the day we go to the lake. It must just be the [darn] eggs they feed us. :-D
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

"Happy New Year! OH WAIT, IT'S NOT THE NEW YEAR YET."
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Eggs? did we have eggs at space camp? Maybe thats what that yellow runny stuff we had in the mornings was. I never used the lake except at AC for camp and Academy they were still going to a nearby pool for water activities. I know when i was at AC we didnt like smurfs as we called the space campers coming over and using our lake though.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

idk where they got it but the boys in my group got a hard boiled egg last year. and they peeled it cuz theyre dumb. then before the edm we kissed it in like cool runnings. but it was gross. cuz the got it the night before and it was all peeled and in their room. i dont think they served eggs though so idk where they got it. i never paid much attention to what they served though cuz i never ate it, the hot stuff.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Every time I've been there (yes all three times, i know that's not very impressive to some of you) they've served eggs.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

okay wait i think i win for the worst sick bay experience....i got dragged in there against my free will...i had a really high fever and they made me stay there the last night and until it was time for me to leave for the airport. they called my mom at 2am to tell her that i was there and she was mad at me like it was my fault...god i hate sick bay
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

LB206 wrote:I know when i was at AC we didnt like smurfs as we called the space campers coming over and using our lake though.
Oh yes, the Smurf/Leprechaun jokes... If you take a look at the flight suits, you'll know which was which. The rivalry led to some funny jokes in 1998, although nobody knew who smurfs and leprechauns were when I went in 1999 except my counsellor Jeremy. I guess that joke died off sometime between 1998 and 1999. It still lives on in my world, as I still blame the little green alien leprechauns for everything, from computer glitches to my voice mail messages...

As for sick bay, I was fortunate enough to never be institutionalised in that place, but a fellow camper of mine was. We were playing four square during some waiting time. One guy went to go get the ball as it bounced off and *WHAM* right into the air conditioning unit of the portable classroom nearest to HAB II. (I wonder if the dent is still there, does anyone know? The A/C unit has a noticeable dent!) Anyway, because we were so close to sick bay one of the nurses came out to see what the commotion was all about and forced him to go to sick bay for a check up to see if he had a concussion or not. Then, every hour on the hour he had to go to sickbay for orange juice and some sort of eye test. He spent the night there where tehy woke him up every hour for more orange juice and more of this crazy eye test. Poor guy, after 24 hours of visiting that place he ran out of that place so fast!

I'd rather be sick and dying and learning about space stuff than be lying in sickbay being fed orange juice! Then again, who ever wants to sit in sickbay when you are missing out on the biggest reason you came to camp!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

The year I went to AC (i dont even know the years anymore lol) we were out playing capture the flag and i had the joy of witnessing one of the worst injurys i have ever seen with my own eyes. I was sitting on the ground after a small injury of my own and it was getting dark (we probably shouldnt even have been playing with no light). I watched a kid come over with a flag to our pole and he got almost there when he hit a kid on our team. He went airborne and landed with his full body force on his arm. Everybody on the field heard the crack and thought it was a stick. Little did we know that his arm was bending in more than one direction it shouldnt have been. I felt really bad he had to go home in the middle of the week and we all had to sign a t-shirt for him, it was really bad. I think he wins the worst camp experience ever award. lol
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

oh no, mine beats that. last summer, my friend kevin decided he wanted to run around the grassy area near the foursquare boxes. some of us decided to play volleyball and kevin eventually mosied on over to the court. he decided, though dark, it was the perfect opportunity to just be crazy (if you knew our group, you would understand. we were all pretty crazy and we had soooo much fun!). he started doing dance like jumps on the sand and apparently didn't see the volleyball net. he ran right into it and got soooo incredibly hurt. he wears glasses so the nose pieces dug into the area near his eyes and he cut his throat. i felt so bad but it was so funny. arlisa drug him off to sickbay. i have a picture! :D

ahhh, i think that was one of my favourite camps!
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ok i think i have you all beat with a medical story thankfully it didnt happen to me. Aparently one night one of the guys in my room from another team Gagarin i believe it was had a heart condition act up and had to be taken to the emergency room. We didnt know about it till the next evening when we asked his teamate aboiut him. He was back a couple days later after some observation time in the hospital thankfully he was ok. He had left the room that night and i guiess found one of the counselors on duty for help.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008