FINALLY I can tell you about when I met Bruce Springsteen

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

WesL
Camper
Camper

FINALLY I can tell you about when I met Bruce Springsteen

Post by WesL »

Ok... At the Sprocket it is pretty well understood that when a celeb is at the museum or at camp the staff doesn't say anything to anyone! Well two weeks before my departure from the center I had the honor to meet Bruce Springsteen. His child was at camp and he came for graduation and I had a 2 second hello nice to meet ya but it was awesome!!!!!

AL.com has a article that was published this morning about celebs that have been to camp as well as Springsteen. I will post the text in a few.

:D
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

'The Boss' and family add excitement to Space Camp

01/04/04

By CHRIS WELCH
Times Entertainment Writer, [email protected]

Cathy Christa, director of reservations for the U.S. Space & Rocket Center's Space Camp, wasn't expecting a call that evening. Not from the wife of The Boss, anyway.

She was giving her son a bath one night around 8 when her cell phone rang. She glanced at the number and didn't recognize it, but answered it anyway.

"'Cathy, this is Patty Springsteen, Bruce's wife, just calling to make sure everything went OK today,'" Christa remembers of the call this past summer. Patty plays guitar and is also a member of Springsteen's E Street Band.

"It was wild because I could hear Bruce in the background. She talked a little longer and then said, 'Just tell Evan we love him.' Talk about having your priorities straight and grounded."

Christa's job probably isn't always this exciting, but every now and then she gets to mingle with some of the celebrities who either visit the Space & Rocket Center or send their kids here for Space Camp. During the six years she's been on the job, she's helped celebrities like Barbara Mandrell and Denzel Washington make arrangements for their kids' visits to Space Camp, along with any other non-celebrity's kid who needs help.

But she has to admit, her experience with The Boss was something special, especially for a lifelong Springsteen fan.

Springsteen's director of security called Christa to discuss details of Bruce and Patty's visit to see their son graduate from Space Camp. Christa offered a limo to pick up Springsteen at the airport, but the security director said the family wanted to be discreet about their visit, not wanting to detract from their son's experience.

Christa has come to realize most celebrities want to minimize distractions and maximize their kids' Space Camp experience. So, when Christa offered to pick up Springsteen in a van, the security director quickly accepted.

"I found myself nervous," said Christa, who said only one or two other people at the Space Center knew of Springsteen's visit. "I didn't want to get too excited and pass out right there.

"Bruce got off the plane carrying his own luggage, and I found him to be extra gracious. He kind of surprised me by getting in the front seat of the van. He rolled down the window and asked a lot of questions about his son and Space Camp."

Christa took Springsteen to the Huntsville Marriott, then left to help coordinate a meeting with another big Space Camp supporter, IGA. After the meeting, she brought some IGA clients over to Otter's, a bar at the Marriott, and who was sitting at the bar? None other than Springsteen in a baseball cap.

"I thought, this is a rock legend and there's not one bit of pretentiousness," Christa said.

Trying to preserve Springsteen's privacy, Christa took her clients to another booth. She figured if Springsteen saw her and wanted some company, he'd come over. And he did, sitting and chatting with Christa and her guests for several minutes before going to his room.

"All the women respected his privacy and didn't ask for a picture," Christa said. "Of course, when he left, all the cell phones came out."

The next day, Patty and other members of the family arrived and Christa gave them a tour of the center and let them try some of the Space Camp equipment. Springsteen was especially interested in the Saturn V restoration project and there is talk of getting him back here for a fund-raiser.

The Springsteens also said they'll probably be back at Space Camp this year because their youngest child, Sam, also wants to join Evan here.

"When Patty left she said, 'I'll call ya next summer,' " Christa said.

Christa pointed to a special place on her cheek where The Boss planted a thank-you peck.

"This is an exciting place to come" for a visit, Christa said of the space museum. "But the celebrities make it even more exciting. That was amazing."
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Huntsville's star power

Famous faces shoot for the moon alongside other 'astronaut' campers

01/04/04

By CHRIS WELCH
Times Entertainment Writer, [email protected]

The list sounds like a who's who of a star-studded Hollywood premiere. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a vision of the California governorship just a gleam in his eye, was here in 1990. So was "NBC Today Show" weather guru Willard Scott in '89.

The Olsen Twins, Mary Kate and Ashley, were in Huntsville when they were just tiny, cuddly kids in 1995. So was Lt. Uhura of "Star Trek" fame, Nichelle Nichols, in 1992.

Producer/director Ron Howard, Academy Award-winner Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Lea Thompson, Kate Capshaw, Martin Sheen, Barbara Mandrell and boxer Evander Holyfield have also visited throughout the years.

Many stars have sent their kids, including Denzel Washington, Pierce Brosnan, Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. Bruce Springsteen sent his son, Evan, here last summer and Kris Kristofferson and Charlize Theron visited with their kids.

So what could attract this kind of star power?

Space Camp at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.

And it's not just stars of the screen. Space Camp has caught the imagination of some of the most influential families in the world, including heads of state.

President George Bush was here and so were Vice Presidents Dan Quayle and Al Gore. Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter sent their daughters, Chelsea and Amy, respectively, while Gore sent his daughter, Karena.

Many of the actors have come here to shoot movies and train on the Space Camp equipment, but for the kids it's pretty simple: they, like other kids, enjoy the experience Space Camp presents. It's obviously more than just an overnight summer camp. It's like taking Space 101 at Six Flags.

Slip in quietly

It would be great publicity for Space Camp, but the celebrities like to keep their kids' visits here under the radar of the local news media. And so far, other than former astronaut/former U.S. Sen. John Glenn, none of the celebrities who have visited have endorsed Space Camp. But Larry Capps, CEO of the Space Center, says Space Camp still benefits from the visits of such high-profile stars and their kids.

"We don't get that much exposure from the celebrities as a result of the celebrities that send their kids here, but what it speaks to is the level of confidence from all walks of life that people have in our programs and facilities," Capps said. "Like in the case of Bruce Springsteen, we knew who his son was, but we have a lot of practice in dealing with this. We don't fuss over them and don't tell the other kids unless the kids themselves tell.

"We haven't gone out to seek endorsements. We believe our program rests on its own merits and the satisfactory experience kids have here."

Media and public relations manager Al Whitaker added: "Ours is not a facility merely for the rich and famous." In fact, Space Camp has cut the 2004 tuition from $999 to $749 now through March 15. "It's a place where children of all ages and backgrounds are taught nothing is impossible unless they believe it is. And at Space Camp, anything is possible."

The visit by Chelsea Clinton, like many by celebrity children, was supposed to be secret. But her reservation was scheduled in conjunction with 1993's International Space Camp, and visiting media were quick to recognize the 13-year-old daughter of President Clinton.

In May 1997, 16-year-old Austin O'Brien finished shooting the final episode of the CBS series "Promised Land." He already had 24 commercials to his credit, a leading role in the hit movie "The Last Action Hero" and guest appearances on "ER" and "Touched by an Angel." He was also on his way to Space Camp for his third time.

"I've always been interested in becoming an astronaut," O'Brien told reporters at the time. "If I could get the opportunity to go up in space, I'd leap at that in a second."

Many of the actors came to the Space Center and Space Camp to do just that - act. Before Ron Howard shot the movie "Apollo 13," he brought many of his cast to crew to Space Camp for research, including Hanks, Bacon and Paxton. "Apollo 13" wasn't filmed here, but "Space Camp" was with Thompson and Capshaw.

The Olsen twins, stars of the ABC comedy "Full House," also produced one of their movies, "The Case of the Space Camp Mission," at the Space and Rocket Center.