I talked to John Glenn!!!

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

I talked to John Glenn!!!

Post by Benji »

I just talked to John Glenn. Okay, not the John Glenn, as far as I know. The story:

I'm at school editing a video for the Governor (The President's bro). Mrs. Otterness (my online school's lead teacher) stepped out and the phone rang. So I picked it up, standard procedure. The guy said he was John Glenn and I took his number in case Mrs. O didn't have it. Then I asked him his name again. His voice sounded like the John Glenn, and I wondered about that for a while. He'd said he wanted to set up a call and I'd seen a charity auction item for a 15 min call with John Glenn. I didn't know Mrs. O was into all the space stuff (she's a skydiver, which is cool).

Anyway, she came back a few minutes later and confirmed that it was indeed not John Glenn. At least not the John Glenn. Oh well.
Ad astra per aspera.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Speaking of John H. Glenn (The John Glenn, today is the 82 anniversary of his birth.
Ad astra per aspera.
Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Mdanner423 »

Also speaking of Mr.Glenn, if you write him a letter he will freely send you a personlised autograph. Speaking of astronauts sending autographs, Mr. Buzz Aldrin.... WoW, talk about making money off your fame, I sent him a letter telling him how I go to space camp and have been interested in the space program for so long yadda yadda. I asked for an autograph photo and his assistant says "Dr. Aldrin will gladly sign a photo for you for a charge of $350 dollars plus 20 dollars per any word you would like inscribed to you"
Last edited by Mdanner423 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matthew
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

haha thats awful, sending a letter back saying haha itd cost 350 for an autographed picture.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

You ask my mom who Buzz Aldrin is and she wouldn't have a clue. He's really just a pain in the butt. Example: First Moonwalk. He wanted to be first. Of course, anybody would, but he made way too big a deal out of it. I'd be happy just to be there.

At least people know who John Glenn is (even if they do think he was the first person in space, or on the Moon, or whatever these idiots think up). Plus, I don't think being stuck up would help his political career. Aldrin doesn't care what you think, you don't matter to him.

And another thing, $20 a word!?! Who does this guy think I am, Bill Gates? I'm trying to save up enough money to put my ashes on the Moon! I wonder if he would write: "To Benjamin, you are my personal hero and I hope to get the great honor of meeting you sometime soon."

That'd be $750, but it'd be worth it if I could afford it. I'd also throw in something like antidisistablishmenttarianism. Why not, it's $20 all the same? Plus, if he spelled it wrong, I could send it back and ask for a refund.
Ad astra per aspera.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

John Glenn Spoof

Post by ApolloXI »

:x Someone who does not like John Glenn returning to space made this.http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_d ... 682,00.asp
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

Hmm well obviously someone is a party pooper!
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I wasn't opposed to John goin' back, but I think it's kind of funny.
Ad astra per aspera.
AstroGirl
Camper
Camper

Post by AstroGirl »

LOL even if it wasnt him, that's pretty cool

I actually did talk to THE John Glenn this June, when I went to the Hall of Fame Weekend in Florida. We had tickets for the ceremony and the dine with an astronaut luncheon, with Glenn as well as Scott Carpenter and Gordon Cooper. There was a question and answer session thingy and I asked him a question about whether or not he thought the government supported space exploration (an idiot question to ask, but I was nervous at the time). So I didnt actually get to meet him persay, but I did see him in person and ask him a question. Scott Carpenter lives near my friend, but I've never met him either (I love living in Colorado, lol). While I was in Florida, I also met a handful of shuttle astronauts as well as Barbara Morgan, the educator astronaut who is going to fly ... eventually. It was all very exciting :-D

Oooh, and I guess Buzz Aldrin is kind of an aft (aft! tehee), which is a shame. I used to idolize him after I read "The Return to Earth," but my boyfriend has met him and says he was kind of a jerk. A shame. When I go to the moon, I will not come back as a jerk LOL
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I almost went to that, but I wasn't able to leave here :( . I will be down there next Tuesday, though, for the National Space Club Florida Luncheon. The director of KSC will be the speaker.
Ad astra per aspera.