NASA TV

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

NASA TV

Post by Benji »

I'm watching NASA TV now, an earlier recorded interview for CBS News. Edward Lu was just playing the theme to Peanuts on the piano (in the ISS) and is talking about conserving water and making sure not to throw away any wet towels or sweaty clothes until they are dry. You know, the stuff you learn in the shuttle systems lecture, if you're awake. Yuri Malenchenko is being pretty quiet. They're preparing to record personal messages.

Technology is amazing. From right here on my computer, I can not only see and hear people 240 miles above the Earth, but know what temperature they're experiencing inside (24.2 C) and what the pressure is (14.4 psi) and more.

You probably think this is so dull, but I'm inftuated with it. It isn't new technology (as technology goes), but it is still amazing. I'm always struck with what computers can do.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I also love NASA TV either on the net or on tV at the space center. And your right computer technology has come along way i mean look we flew to the moon with a computer with less memory than some peoples cell phones have now. Heck you dont even have to go back that far just look at how far computers have come in the last 20 or for that matter even 10 years.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

It was Bill Gates who said that there would never be computers in peoples' homes. The person who was really on top of the ball is the IBM guy who said that precessing power would double every 18 months or something like that.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

True Benji and i can only imagine what computers will be like when i have kids. Heck when i went to space camp the first time i think the only time we even used a computer was during the shuttle mission now they are a regular part of the porogram. Heck i didnt even have the internet till the third time i went to camp and at that time it wasn't anything special to me now i'm on it all the time.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

False, Benji.

Bill Gates, along with his friend, Paul Allen, had a dream that some day every home would have on every desk a computer. It was this that caused Bill Gates to leave Harvard and start Microsoft.

Further, it was Gordon Moore of Intel that came up with "Moore's Law" which says (roughly) that the power of microprocessors doubles every 18 months...
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Actually it was an IBM (YUCK...grrrrrr....) executive who said that computers would never catch on.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Alright, alright! I can never get the details straight, I know that. Believe me, I know people a lot worse than me. Thanks for the corrections.
Ad astra per aspera.
Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Mdanner423 »

You have to love Nasa TV, im so glad it comes free with Dish Network!
-Matthew
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

I miss my NASA TV. It isn't coming in on digital cable again.......
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00