The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: 2018

Postby gt0163c » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 am

Sadly I'm not going to be making it to camp this year either. I did a few days at Universal Orlando in the spring and that ate up a good portion of my travel budget for the year. But I am going to the Cosmosphere in Hutinson, KS in August. I'll also be spending a lot of time on space related activities this fall and into the winter. I'm coach a FIRST Lego League team and our theme this year is, "Into Orbit". So we'll be doing all sorts of fun space related things. And once my team narrows down their research project topic, be on the look out for posts requesting people to correspond with the team and act as experts and help us out.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Postby majtom7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 pm

I am debating a camp this year because I know people attending in September yet I am disappointed in the sample schedules. Camp time and more importantly to me, mission time, keeps shrinking in comparison to the good 'ol days. Sure, it keeps the price down yet I would rather pay to play. Of course, I have a few other things I'd like to do, like go to the Delta museum and book time in their simulator, Mario Andretti Racing Experience, etc. Plus there are some health concerns in the household that I need to consider..

P.S. and my gut tells me that another recession is coming...
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Postby Feuerfresser » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:07 am

Did you realized, that registration for 2019 is open, now?

Did anybody knows the sence of "Chaperone-Expeditions"?
ATX Astronaut Training Experience / Oct. 2015 / KSCVC / Shuttle Commander
Adult Space Academy / May 2017 / USSRC / Shuttle Pilot
Discovery Mission / August 2017 / Euro Space Center / Shuttle Commander
p51
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby p51 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 am

majtom7 wrote:I am debating a camp this year because I know people attending in September yet I am disappointed in the sample schedules. Camp time and more importantly to me, mission time, keeps shrinking in comparison to the good 'ol days.
I've heard this from others as well, that back in the day, there was more sim time. After going a few times with new people to SC, I get the impression that generally, most 'normal' people want more than just sim time, based on conversations I've had with SC staff.
I also would rather the sessions be filled mostly with sim time, but they gotta go with what seems to work with most of the people who show up. We have to face facts that people like us (the ones who want to keep going back) are in the minority.
Feuerfresser wrote:Did you realized, that registration for 2019 is open, now?
Yes, I noticed that as well. I don't know how realistic it is to schedule well over a year in advance, though (unless it's in conjunction with a large trip before or after the camp session).
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Postby majtom7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm

p51 wrote: After going a few times with new people to SC, I get the impression that generally, most 'normal' people want more than just sim time, based on conversations I've had with SC staff.

One would think that a weeklong camp means appreciably more mission time than a weekend camp. However, the weeklong has even less mission time proportionally than the weekend ones (based on the sample schedules without meals) - 20% versus 40%.

I suppose that's more in tune with the type of mission astronauts fly these days.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby p51 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:50 pm

majtom7 wrote:One would think that a weeklong camp means appreciably more mission time than a weekend camp. However, the weeklong has even less mission time proportionally than the weekend ones (based on the sample schedules without meals) - 20% versus 40%.
I haven't measured it, but I also wouldn't argue against your numbers. I did the week-long 'Hoot Camp 2' in 2016 and other than the 12-hour LDM, it didn't seem like we spend a huge amount of time in the sims, proportionally to the duration of the time we were there.
All that said, I know that not everyone loves the sims. At that week-long camp, there were first-timers in the group and a couple of them were sort of 'meh' about the sims. In earlier 3-day sessions, I knew a few who really didn't care about them one way or another. My very first time, I was PLT on a 2-hour "LDM." Once we were done, the CDR said that initially, she didn't care about the sim at all. She added that my enthusiasm rubbed off on her and she wound up enjoying it more than she thought she was going to (a moment I'm quite proud of today). I've been to SC four times and all but one time (Team Disco 2014, the team you and I were both on, Majtom7), I've encountered at least one person who didn't care about the sims.
You, I, and many who'd post here love the sims. But not everyone does.
For example, I could live the rest of my life without ever seeing another model rocket. I got that out my system in my teens. But many people love making them as for a lot of them, that's the only time they'd make and fly one. So I go along with it every time with smile on my face.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Postby majtom7 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:09 pm

p51 wrote:For example, I could live the rest of my life without ever seeing another model rocket. I got that out my system in my teens. But many people love making them as for a lot of them, that's the only time they'd make and fly one. So I go along with it every time with smile on my face.

I've made plenty of them, too yet I like doing them at camp. I try things that I would never try at home, e.g., like a 3 stage with maxxed out C engines, because there's no time to get attached to them so if they turn lawn dart or early Christmas ornament, oh well <shrug>

BTW, she weathercocked and all 3 engines lit. We found the first stage at the frontage road, never did find the rest. My guess (hope?) is that she made it across the interstate. OOPS LOL
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Hotdog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:07 am

Speaking of rockets, Space Camp will attempt the Guinness world record for the most model rockets launched on July 16 of next year as part of their Apollo 50th anniversary. The goal is to have a million rockets fired off around the world, with each time zone launching their rockets at 9:32am, the same time as Apollo 11. Time to start building your rockets now!

Return to “The Hab”