Space Camp Video

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Space Camp Video

Post by Boomerang »

Well i went to the local space museum today and i finnaly made a copy of the old space camp prompotional video they have. I knew this thing was old but i didnt realise how old. Its definately early to mid 80s. The video says the camp has 2 shuttle cockpits. The cockpit they show as the advanced one is the one we know as Discovery. In the background of some scenes you see Columbia. Also its prior to 1987 because its definately the old training center. The flight suits all have the old black rectangular space camp patch. Although the insignia we're all familiar with is on the mannuals.And Ed Buckbee thats seen on the video has one of the round patches on his flight suit. The video has teams named for the shuttles. Academt Level 2 doesnt exist yet in this video. And both programs are called space camp either Space Camp level 1 or Space Camp Level 2. The Habs arent yet built but you do see some of the sleep bays but its not clear where they are located. And although its not clear which one it is one scene shows Ed Buckbee showing some trainees a much more advanced sim than either Discovery or Columbia. I'm guessing its probably Atlantis before it started being used for programs. You only see some of the mid deck but its too detailed for columbia and i believe Atlantis was built before the enterprise sim. They show some of the pool activities as well and back then they seemed to do alot more. They had Tetrahedroin building stuff and film canisters that had to be worked with underwater. And although some of thse stuff that looks like they may be props from the movie are seen in the video i personally think it was made prior to the movie. They also show some stuff that i never saw at camp. Their is one part that shows a camper sitting in a chair hanging from the sealing that gets spun around. Unlike the MAT it only spins either to the front or back depending on how the person is pushed. The MAT from the movie is also seen. It has the hand controler but the campers donat appear to do anything with it. Its intresting to see space camp as it once was.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Thats very interesting LB206 where did you find this video again?
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i made a copy from a tape at the NASA Langley Educator Resource center. Other center's Educator resource centers may have it but i dont know. But ussually you need to be an educator to use its resources. I work for the museum so i have access. The video really shows its age though not just in whats shown but the quality of the video is pretty low. Its obvious ly old. /The sound quality isnt verry good and the picture jumps a bit sometimes. I've known about the video for years and had seen it their before but just recently remembered it.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Looking at the video again i'm starting to narrow down when the video was made. One of the campers in the movie has a mission patch on her flight suit from STS-7 which flew in 1984. So it would have been fikmed sometime after that. I'm beginning to think 1985 because i saw some t-shirts in the video with the space camp insignia seen in Space Camp the Movie. So they mau have been left over from the movie, or the insignia was actually used at some point or its possible they may have been extras for the movie. So i'm narrowing the time frame down now. I'm going to try and rerecord it this weekend since i messed it up accidently and ill remember to watch to the end of the credits and see if they have a year it was made.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Anyway of getting other copies of this? 8)

I'd love to see it myself.
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Sure send me a blank video tape and the money for shipping it back and ill make you a copy. Also watching it today again trying to catch more detail i'm beginning to think that it wasnt just filmed with 1 or two teams but several. Also i noticed that they were beginning to make some changes. The round space camp patch is seen on a few flight suits but most are still the rectangular black ones. And Space Academy is refered to in the credits but the rest of the video still calls it space camp. And Buckbee is wearing a round Space Academy patch on his flight suit. But everything is still filmed in the old training center and some in the museum, dorms and rocket park. It's a verry diffrent looking space camp back then but still somewhat recognisable.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

One other thing i noticed on the video that you would never see happen at camp anymore takes place either in the space station or space lab module. You see campers doing a finger prick to get a blood sample from one of the campers. And to show it was in the 80's they werent wearing any rubbar gloves and i saw no place to dispose of biohazard materials. Obviously thei was before these things were common place like they are now.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008