Split: SCUBA talk / Physicals / etc.

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Benji wrote:Back on to the topic of SCUBA, do you know which famous engineer helped design the UAT at the USSRC?

The answer: Rocket Boy/Coal Miner/Author/Engineer Homer "Sonny" Hadley Hickam Jr. helped design the UAT shortly after serving a brief stint helping the STS-51L investigation.
I could be wrong but I think Smiley helped with the latest version of the UAT. He has some computer images in a portfolio he brought to camp once.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
AC_Shrek
Counselor
Counselor

Post by AC_Shrek »

ok....Hickam came up with the idea for the tank to help train the astronauts and all that good stuff. From what Smiley has told me (maybe he will see this and say so for himself) he designed and built the thing IN the tank. The mock up in the tank was his design from what he told my kids and I once.
Former and maybe future AC/SA Counselor
ethlar04
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by ethlar04 »

is there anything in particular it is supposed to be? I remember when i first saw it, it looked like a sort of messed up LEM possibly, that was my take on it three years ago.
Ethan

Rensselaer Class of Whenever I Decide to stop Taking Classes!

Space Squirrel
Twinky
George Carlin
Render Your Face!!
Goddard Count off! (the special one)

Week 40 AC Mach III Jolly Rogers
Week 41 ASA Goddard Pilot
AC_Shrek
Counselor
Counselor

Post by AC_Shrek »

He never really said and i never really asked.
Former and maybe future AC/SA Counselor
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The SCUBA experience at camp is great! They give you a crash course on land for all the what to do/what not to do stuff, as well as how to use everything and what to do if you have problems. They verse you in SCUBA sign language. If you're lucky you might get the SCUBA instructor who uses the "happy turtle" hand sign to mean "things are going absolutely awesome!"

A good trick when you are in the UAT and ther are tourists peering through the window is to go under a porthole and blow lots and lots and lots of bubbles, then stand up and do the "happy turtle" hand sign. When the bubbles clear the person will probably be really close to the glass, and when they see you they will probably freak out. Or, at least, some kid did when I was there; nearly dropped his space dots as he ran away... Oh yum... space dots...

As for the doctor's appointment beforehand, what's the big deal, all they do is look at your medical charts, fillin the blanks on the forms, and ask you a few questions before they sign the forms. They'll check you out again at Sick Bay at camp - take your temperature and pulse before and after SCUBA to make sure you are not going to have problems.

I took my SCUBA certification after attending Space Camp, and they go over much the same information as you learn at camp. You learn a few more things, but the basics are esentially the same. If anything, my SCUBA experiences at camp made my SCUBA certification process more enjoyable.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Smiley made a post in another topic a few weeks ago about bringing back the EVA suits to the UAT for the 24-hour EDMs. I cannot wait to go back and do a 24-hour EDM. I will definitely sign up as a MS to get to do the new SCUBA stuff! (However, if pilots get to do SCUBA in the 24-hour EDM, I might try that track instead... we'll see when the time comes...)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017