Space Camp dreams

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Space Camp dreams

Post by Boomerang »

Well i thought we needed a new topic and a dream i had last night inspired this one. I know i've had dream at night where i'm back at space camp. Some are realistic some are so far out their that its hard to even tell it was really about space camp. I figured their must be other's out their who have had dreams about being at space camp so here is the place to talk about them. I guess i'll start with the one i had last night.
this dream was definately more on the weird side than the realistic. In the dream it seemed like i was visiting the camp but i also remember thinking that i was attending at some points in the dream. In the dream i had an atracktive blonde counselor showing me and some unknown person around the camp. The first thing she took us to see was the new graduation auditorium. Yes i know it doesnt rerally exist but it did in the dream. It was huge and from a viewing glaaery we watched the whole camp graduating at the same time. After that we went to look at the training center. But it wasnt the training center we all know and love. This training center was totaly diffrent. In the area where the old training center that we know should be their was something new. First of all the are4a was much bigger. In half of it their was a moonscape and the other half was a mars landscape being used by the trainees. My first thouyght was where was Enterprise and the other shuttle simulators. Then to the right i saw a huge curtain. And the counselor told me not to go look in their. Ofcourse i snuck away and went under the curtain and then their was another curtain. So i went and looked behind it and their was columbia Enterprise and the other sims we know including intrepid. And their was also a new one being built.Thenthe counselor came and found me. She started telling me i wasnt supose to be their but then as if this dream hadnt been weird enough she started kissing me. Unfortunately thats where the dream ended. Weird i know. So everyone else start posting your space camp dreams.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i guess either i'm the only one whos ever had a dream about space camp or noone wants to tell about their dreams. Well it was worth a try. I figured i should tell someone about that really weirsd dream and figured who better than a bunch of space camp graduates.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I'd share some of mine but I don't think I could describe them to any degree of clarity. For me, all I have to do is vaguely think about it and a whole group of images flood my mind - problem is putting those images into words for others to understand.

I've had similar dreams like you had - the odd return and seeing the Training Center and/or other parts of the experience changed. Then again, it's been 11 years since I've been a part of any of it so my distortions are understandable.

I did have a dream once where a capsule from the Mercury era was launched to commemerate an anniversary and it ended up crashlanding in my backyard (instead of the water) and the crew from SpaceCamp the movie came to pick it up. What was strange about that dream was that a week later a friend of mine and I were playing in that area of my yard when we located bits and pieces of parts (screws, etc), wires and other doo-dads. It was an eerie connection to what was a dream. I put the experience into words somewhere. I'll have to find the story sometime and share it as I wrote it. Quite weird.
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That is a weird dream. I've had a few other space camp ones some weirder than the one i described above. Most involve something familiar becoming something strange and old friends and counselors from camp are ussualy involved as well.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Wow i had a dream just like the mercury crash one you were talking about once except it was with apollo it was really weird.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i've never had one about a space capsule crashing. But acouple of years ago i had a dream where discovery exploded durimng launch. It looked just like the challenger accident thankfully it wasnt real.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Yikes! I don't think I want that dream.

Other than like being back at Space Camp, I did have dreams where I was actually in the movie and had the whole movie play out. Either I played the character of Max or I was just some extra person on the team. It was real strange sometimes.

I also have serial dreams where it'll start one night and finish a night or two later... sometimes days/weeks later. There was this one I had about a spacesuit (EVA Suit) I was allowed to try it on and then it got stuck on me (end #1). Picked up a few days later with me wearing the suit at school (end #2). Picked up again with the suit in a glass container (me out of it obviously) and I crawled in it and was transported (magically) to the surface of the moon where I hopped around and such (end #3). And then it picked up where I was on the moon and couldn't get back but suddenly the suit transported me back to my room where the suit was kept in the glass container and I stood there watching it in silence (end).

Weird stuff, no? :)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well your right that is a weird dream. I've had some serial dreams before but none that i'd tell here.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Hmm, okay... I'll let that one slide. :)

There are many dreams though that I can barely describe to myself so I'll have to take a rain check on those. But there is one that I remember having the first time I saw SpaceCamp, and it centered around myself and a friend of mine who was in NASA and on the Space Shuttle crew and we were out in the middle of no where with orders in hand to get to our launch pad (Pad B). We traveled through all sorts of alleys, streets, subburbs, etc but always ended up at an old abandoned pad (Pad A - which visually was nothing more than an old missile launcher looking thing, you know those portable rocket launchers Russia has that they'd roll through the streets). Anyway, by the end of the dream we finally made it to our designated pad just before the shuttle lifted off (remember, this is a dream so no problem that there was only 5 second left) and just before we could get securely on board, the shuttle lifted off without us, throwing the crew (us and other folks) to the ground. It was a weird sensation to be flying through the air then suddenly land on the ground. I can still remember the thud. A few moments later after the smoke cleared we tried to figure out what happened... needless to say NASA wasn't happy with us :)
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

But also to comment here... I have noticed that many of my dreams are what I would rate as THX certified - meaning I not only have them but I seem to experience them emotionally, and fully.

I remember a Star Trek type dream I had one year where I was beaming from one point to another (and while no one knows how a transporter beam feels) I remember the sensation of being out of the universe for a split moment, my body being taken apart bit by bit... and then I was reassembled just as if time didn't move. It was freaky.

And there was a Borg type dream I had where I was assimilated... and boy did that hurt. I actually woke myself up on that one because my whole body felt like it was burning up - and the spot where a borg nanite emerged from my arm (like Picard's cheek in First Contact) hurt the entire day. And there wasn't anything for me to bump it into.

Anyway, I shared some... next!? :)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I've had dreams like those where i feel sensations infact i think i even had a similar borg dream before. To be honest though i never remember any dreams that took place in space. I remember one space camp dream where i had arrived at the huntsville airport and got picked up by one of my old counselors but somehow we got lost on the way to camp and seemed to drive around for hours trying to get to camp and never did before i finnally woke up.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

There are a lot of dreams that I remember from when I was little. Probably because I've had those dreams over and over or they had quiet an impact. There are many though I can only remember bits of... flashes of an image that can barely be described. There was one dream I had that was a horror dream that I woke up from because something was screaming at me and I screamed back and I don't know whether I was screaming in real life or whether the scream was so loud it just woke me up but it was freaky. I remember telling my friends about the dream and I was shaking just telling them about it.

Anything that is related to Space or Space Camp I generally remember. Probably because it's engrained in me to remember those kinds of things. And any that particularly strike me I write down and turn into stories... eventually. I have a note book filled with images from dreams just waiting to be turned into stories. LOL
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I remember alot of dreams from when i was litle too. Some of them verry vivid and realistic dreams. Some of them happened so long ago that its hard to know what was real and what was a dream from so long ago.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

*nodnods* Yeah, same here. One of these days I should try and freely write down the images that come to mind or better yet, audio record them and see what comes out of it. Probably uncover a lot of things that way.
Hehe.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thats a good idea maybe i should try doing that sometime if i ever have the time.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Anytime you find a moment is usually good. Sometimes I'll get a thought that comes to mind and I'll write it down or type it so I can keep the essence of what it was. Because if I sit on it for too long it'll change.

That's what happened to a lot of my memories of Space Camp and Space Academy. Thankfully I had enough forsight to record things on audio tape just for the heck of it or a lot of details would have been lost to time.

I also find it quite refreshing to put a detail to something that is not well defined or remembering something about an old dream that may unlock a whole treasure trove of details about it and other dreams you might have had.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i wish id recorded my days at space camp more than i did. When i went to academy i kept a journal every night. infact back then the log book had a place to keep a journal in it. When i got back from AC i wrote down all my experiances but the other 2 years i didnt think of it.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

You just don't think of these kinds of things. When I went to Camp I was completly surrounded and enthralled with the experience. It didn't even to occur to me to take a picture while I was there - I did have my camera. It was a little Kodak instamatic but still, I could have taken a few picture of my teammates. The only picture I have of them is the group foto. And what's in my head. And that I'm trying hard to hang on to. I didn't even wise up when I went to Academy but the next go 'round will be different. I don't know what I'm going to do but I am certainly going to be armed with my digital camera and a notebook for sure!

I'll probably take so many pictures I'll need to buy a couple more Flashcards for the camera so I make sure I have enough room for shots :)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I took lots of pictures all 4 years unfortunately none turned out the first year. The only pictures i have from my first year are my team photo and 2 pictures my counselor mailed me. Even though i took alot of pictures the other 3 years i wish id taken more film so i could have taken even more photos.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I might rent a video camera to take with me. I'd love to have a laptop so I could download my pictures and type my notes instead of writing them. Oh well, plenty of time between now and next Fall. Hehe.