Yes, I do remember when the TC floor looked like that!

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Yes, I do remember when the TC floor looked like that!

Post by Hotdog »

Yes, I do remember when the training center floor looked like that!

When I was 12, I somehow talked my parents into taking me to the Space & Rocket Center for a visit. I had been trying to convince them to send me to Space Camp for 3 years and with no luck. Then they saw the training center while on the visit and realized it was the real deal. Two months later, I found myself celebrating my 13th birthday at Space Camp! This would be the first of 4 trips to Space Camp programs before graduating high school.

Moral of the story: having an open training center visible to the public is a huge marketing goldmine if not the ultimate and cheapest publicity you can get!!!!!! Listen up, Mothership! Closing off the view of the training center floor was the worst thing you ever did, period.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
CRS
Counselor
Counselor

Behind the Scenes

Post by CRS »

Though getting on the MCC won't be an option during tours, the top of the UAT is a stop on the new tour and will provide guests a great unique view of the floor and the new simulator without interrupting the mission experience for the trainees. We would love for you all to come down and take the tour and let us know what you think and give us any suggestions you might have to make it better. Thanks!

Charity
[email protected]
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I remember when it looked like that too! Ah yes, back in the day... that photo brings back good memories.

I never saw the TCF until I received the camp brochure in the post. But that's because I live way up here in a land where it's still cold and snowing in March. However, if I lived in or around Huntsville I know I would have been at Space Camp a whole lot more at a younger age if I had seen it from the museum side and begged and pleaded my parents to send me there. (At least, that's how I got to attend the summer space theme programmes at our local science centre every year, which was where I eventually found out about Space Camp.)

Hurrah for tours. Here's hoping it brings back the sparkle in some kids' eyes and nagging desire to attend camp. ;)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

When do the tours start? If I come down for the Fred Haise event next weekend, I'd like to check it out!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

The tours are every day at 10 AM and 2 PM, and on weekends and as the season gets busier there will be tours more frequently. They take you up to the top of the UAT for the overlook of the floor and into the Hab for a view of a room as well as a peek at the simulators in the Astrotrek building.

The Hall of Fame display is now by the cafeteria at the 'back' entrance to the MCC floor. The star curtain has been raised and it allows visitors a look at the MCC floor, including the new lunar simulator.

Yes, it was nice to have the MCC floor visible at the grey steps, but isn't it nicer to have so many shuttle simulators and modules to accommodate more missions?
Living the dream
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

street wrote:Yes, it was nice to have the MCC floor visible at the grey steps, but isn't it nicer to have so many shuttle simulators and modules to accommodate more missions?
Yes, yes it is...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

The premise is bad.

Kids on a mission don't care if they're on the MCC or in the Astrotrek building.

I think it would be far better to swap some of the sims with the Astrotrek building's sims and produce a more presentable MCC to passersby.

But the tour is an improvement.