Space Camp Florida Closing

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Space Camp Florida Closing

Post by Boomerang »

Well guys it looks like financial problems and low attendance have struck space camp another blow. According to a news article on space.com unless it recieves a reprieve space camp florida and the astronaut hall of fame will close its doors on September 17th of this year. According to the article financial losses mainly due to low attendance will force fprclosusre by the property owners, South Trust Bank. As for now the last session of space camp florida will be September 8-11 of this year. I know most of us attended Space Camp programs in Alabama only but i know 1 or 2 also went to florida. With the closing of space camp California a couple of years ago that will leave only Space Camp Alabama and the overseas camps left. The article doesnt say how much money the camp needfs to stay open so i won't even guess but i pray they can find someway to remain open. In my opinion though this might in some small way help space camp Alabama because all campers will now be attending their which will hopefully up their attendance some. Still i hate to see any space camp close its doors. I have so many great memories from my 4 trips. Although all mine were to alabama this will take a way a chance to see the Kennedy space center that many kids may not get otherwise. I to this day still have never been their. Makes me wish i had attended camp in Floridainstead of alabama but the camp in florida was so new at the time only 2 years old i figured alabama would be much better. Well everyone check out the article on space.com and comment.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

...and then there was one. (overseas camps, aside...)

bummer.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I really hate to see it go too. ::hears taps playing for space camp florida in the background::
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador