Bus Tours

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

WesL
Camper
Camper

Bus Tours

Post by WesL »

Looks like NASA/MSFC has given the okay for the USSRC to put together a plan to resume the bus tours.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, this is great news! I remember the bus tour and picnic being a highlight of camp. The rocket test facility, the ISS mock-up, the rocket garden, and the viewing room where we could see parts of the ISS being built. I really wish i took more photos on that tour.

Does anyone remember which park we were taken to for the picnics when they were held in the late 90s? I remember there being a ravine we got to hike through.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Did they finaly get a wheel chair bus for the tours or will they still be denying these to disabled customers? I know this was a block to them restarting a few years ago.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

This is GREAT news! Hope they have it going by August so we can take the tour during Alumni weekend!

I don't remember a picnic area or hiking trails. According to this map, there is a picnic area on Tiros Street. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=3636677
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Don't worry, Boomerang. If there is no wheelchair accessible bus, we will lift you up and carry you onto the bus with us!
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hotdog wrote:I don't remember a picnic area or hiking trails. According to this map, there is a picnic area on Tiros Street. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=3636677
No, that's not it. There was a short rock wall overlooking a valley and then the hiking trails went down beside the wall. There was a cook shelter there with picnic tables under it and in the adjoining green space. It was quite lovely. I think it was a public park; lots of trees and things.

Ah, just thinking about it brings back memories.

EDIT: After a whole lot of searching, it appears we went to Monte Sano State Park for our picnic in 1998 and 1999.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Found a few more tidbits on Wes's site. Boomerang, you might be getting your wish:
The Museum Committee would ...also work through restarting the NASA/MSFC bus tours at such time when the USSRC has the equipment and facilities in place.
Also:
NASA/MSFC has recently setup three display areas mainly for VIP tours and would offer a great tour stop if the NASA/MSFC Bus Tours were to start again
Could this be what they're talking about?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonypic/page754/
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Boomerang wrote:Did they finaly get a wheel chair bus for the tours or will they still be denying these to disabled customers? I know this was a block to them restarting a few years ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been as sick as a Laika :roll:

Hotdog is right on it - based on the discussion in the meeting they would have to get a few things in order. First I'm quite sure they have let the bus fleet dwindle down. Then there is the bus service area that burned down a few years ago. I don't think it was replaced but I could be wrong.

I know the former transportation manager went round and round about the one wheelchair bus they had. It worked about 45% of the time and she was always on the hunt for a replacement.

There was also a mention of trying to work out an Army stop as well.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thanks for the info Wes. I have first hand experience with the van that the air condition didn't work in, the lift was questionable at best and i wont get in to some other problems i encountered with it. It needed to be replaced years ago if you want more of that sorted van story and my issues i had in the summer of 07 pm me some time.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The MSFC and Redstone Arsenal have grown so much since the bus tours first started, it only makes sense that new tours of the facilities should cover much more than just the engine and booster test stands and ISS mission control. MSFC has a lot to offer, and The Mothership would be wise to explore this as a tool to encourage old timers like myself to come back. "Special stops" for alumni-only might make coming back to Space Camp even more appealing!

Perhaps the 9/11 shutdown of MSFC tours can be a blessing in disguise. Here's our chance to get a more in-depth and updated tour experience!
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Hotdog is right on.

The last alumni camp I went to I was on the ropes whether I wanted to go or not. Jason and I were talking and he told me the MSFC tours were back on, and knowing that I decided to go. Well as we all know, it didn't happen.

I think the tour could really be awesome. I remember in the camper days having some neat stops, but there are so many things to see at Marshall. Wouldn't it be cool to see the test stands up close!
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

One of the highlights of SC Level II for me was getting to climb up to the top of the SSME test stand and see it up that close! Great view of Redstone Arsenal from the top of that thing!
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

[darn] that's awesome!
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.