Campers who care about space...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Campers who care about space...

Post by DanM »

I made a post about this topic over a year ago, but I think it's a well known fact that <20% of campers are "space nerds" (in a good way). I have observed this at SC and SA. I was actually bullied for liking space at SA. Of course, SA kids are more prone to bullying due to their middle school age. I would be fine now if I was the only "space nerd" on my team, I have since expanded my horizons socially. However, at ASA are there more of the "nerd" type kids, or just general people? I would think it would be more "nerds," because ASA is kinda the opposite of what most teens think is "cool," and the recent economy would filter out a lot of kids.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well when i went to ASA wich was what seems like n eternity ago we had a few non space tyoes there just for fun but most had some intrest in space, engineering or sciences. When i worked there you seemed to get a mix at all age levels it just varies from team to team.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Generally, you can expect trainees in the younger programs to be less-interested in space, as many of them are there just because their parents made them go. It's those unwilling campers who can ruin a team, and you will see less and less of this with older age groups. You may experience a drastic shift in overall camper attitude with the ASA high school program (formerly known as Space Academy Level II). Most of the kids in ASA are there because they wanna be there, have at least a small interest in space travel, and as a whole tend to be much more fun to be around. But, like Boomerang said, your experience in any program will vary from team-to-team.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Hotdog wrote:Generally, you can expect trainees in the younger programs to be less-interested in space, as many of them are there just because their parents made them go.
Interesting, when I did SC, the team was great, they all wanted to be there. When I was at SA, this one kid kinda ruined my trip, I think he was there with his cousin. It would make sense if he was sent there. I still will never be able to figure out why parents will spend hundreds of dollar for something there kid won't enjoy, especially when cheaper alternatives are available. I had to work to get there, lol.

Bay 205-Team Orville

Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

DanM wrote:I still will never be able to figure out why parents will spend hundreds of dollar for something there kid won't enjoy.
THIS! If you're going to force Billy-the-horrible to go to a camp, why pick one that costs a grand a week and is not something he's remotely interested in?
Ad astra per aspera.
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Picture the smart alaeck kid with the jeep in "Spacecamp-The Movie".
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

bnaivar wrote:Picture the smart alaeck kid with the jeep in "Spacecamp-The Movie".
Kevin?

Bay 205-Team Orville

Bay 221-Team Von Braun
JVH
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JVH »

I absolutely loved Advanced Academy when I was a counselor.. for the most part (i'd say about 90% of the time), these kids are the ones who wanted to hear the most about space history, etc.. I could actually share some really technical stuff with them and they loved it.
Purdue University: School of Aeronautics and Astronautics

Level 3 Counselor: Jan- August 2008
ASA Counselor: May - August 2008
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

As an ASA camper, I can say most everyone in my groups absolutely love space, especially at my 12-day experience this year. We could get into the "hairiness" of it, if you will, and we all love it. :)
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell