Post-Shuttle?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post-Shuttle?

Post by DanM »

I think this has been brought up numerous times on here, but what are they gonna do post shuttle? Are they gonna do Orion once (or if) it starts?

It might be cool if they could set up historical tracks, like, Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo, but that would make for interesting team sizes, or a mission every day.

Another (half-kidding) idea is a Soviet Track, where you fly a Soyuz, and it's like AC, but communist and you go to space.

EDIT: I have no clue how "Soyuz" became bold :P
Last edited by DanM on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

We had Russian Progress module dockings with the ISS when I did the 8-day adult programme in 2004. (I think they were outfitting a simulator to a Russian Soyuz at the time too. Did they abandon this idea, or is it still there?) Space Camp has lunar and Mars missions of some sort. I think they expanded on them recently to go with the Moon and Mars initiatives.

I can see the existing programme still being popular after the shuttle retires. After all, it is the system kids today know about and will learn about for quite some time.

When NASA really knows which direction they will be taking, we may hear some hard answers about Space Camp's future direction. Until then, speculation could cost the Centre a lot of money they don't have. Making simulators for Orion may be wasteful if NASA chooses to do something else. I wish NASA would get off their fencepost and make some decisions already... Until then, two more missions await... October and February.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Space camp is currently or atleast was working earlier this year to build a lunar base mockup for lunar type missions. The plan was to turn Discovery or the original Endeavour into a generic capsule type vehicle for these missions. This however was several months ago and i have seen no update or heard any more word on this since. Not sure if the idea might change now since NASA is getting away from the idea of returning to the moon and looking more at asteroids and Mars. Space camo and maybe academy not sure on academy do a mars mission already but that idea could certainly be expanded. The ISS modules or atleast most of them are still there and in many cases it seems the excess ones ot used for anything were bing removed to make it a better looking set up i would guess will be the focus of things in the future post shuttle with capsule type vehicles geting the campers their much like the current nasa plans. As to the moon base idea i guess we have to wait and see. Space camp has not been updating alumni very well in the last couple of years but i and a few others are working on a plan to change this look for more info on that to come sometime following the hall of fame this year.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador