New Website

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

New Website

Post by SpaceCanada »

For anyone who is interested, US Space Camp launched a new website. The new format hasn't rolled over to all the pages within, and some pages are still a work in progress (ie. Family Guide), but I'm sure it will all happen in due course.

Honestly, I am not a fan of the new format. The youth programme links go directly to the Space Camp Store so you can purchase tuition packages. I like the information pages with a link to the store better, like the adult programmes page - it feels more personal than shopping at an online store. The layout seems dry and flat - nothing grabs my attention. I am sure there is more to come, and I hope it will improve. Maybe I'm just being hypercritical because it's new... or maybe I miss the 'grab your attention' sites of the past.

There are some good points too - the colours are simple and pleasant, the side menu and header are a fresh change... but like I said, I hope to see more to come.

What do the rest of you think?
Last edited by SpaceCanada on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The Space Camp website was in need of a re-design in a bad way. As someone who works in Marketing, may I submit my initial critique:

Judging by what little work they've done so far, it doesn't look like the new site is going to be much of an improvement over the old site. The graphics are cheap and uninspiring (cartoon stars in the background? I thought SC was a realistic Space experience! Throw in a Hubble image!).

There is also a sufficient lack of content about the SC programs and its' history! People who come to SC.com want to know more than what the crummy little brochure tells them. Remember the big 8.5" x 11" booklet brochures SC put out in the 90s, with all of the pictures of training equipment and detailed descriptions of day-by-day activities? Well if SC can't afford to print those anymore, they could at least put it on the website. Big pictures and more detailed info will not only inspire future trainees, but will help sell the program to the parents!

I agree with Jennifer, the Camp programs should not be treated like products in a shopping cart. Being able to order online is a good thing, but I would try to retain the look-and-feel of buying an experience, and not a product.

I do like the link to Hab1 on the front page!

Recap: Graphics are too cheesy, too little info on SC programs and history, cheap product-like online buying experience.

Just my 2 cents!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Andrew
Camper
Camper

Post by Andrew »

Glad to see you all sharing your opinion on the new design.

I've just updated the background on the space camp site and will be making other adjustments as we move forward with this. Keep the ideas coming!

-Andrew

update: I'm collecting historical information about Space Camp now to add to the site.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hey, Andrew. I am glad to see you here and open to the feedback we have.

Why is the Frequently Asked Questions item on the menu a different colour than the other items?

where: FAQ page
typo: Meals for special dietary needs can be accommodated...

Could you include links to pictures of the mess hall, the dorms, etc. on the pertinent FAQ pages? If I were a parent, I would like to SEE what the dorms looks like, or the mess hall, etc. A picture is worth a thousand words.

What sort of historical Space Camp stuff are you collecting? I am sure various people here have all sorts of information, photos, etc.
- Jennifer -
Andrew
Camper
Camper

Post by Andrew »

I love to get feedback on our sites, and always appreciate it, especially when it comes from folks that are as dedicated and connected to Space Camp as the members here are.

It's nice to hear positive feedback of course, but its also good for me to hear criticism and complaints so that I can collect them, sort them, and use them to make positive changes to the website.

I honestly do encourage any and all feedback, good and bad! Share it here, or via PM or email me -- andrewm at spaceamp dot com.

The FAQ item on the menu is a different color because it should have a third level of menu items that pop out of it. I'm leaning towards adding a right arrow to indicate this as well. Let me know if you're not seeing the additional menu options.

In terms of pictures and information on the FAQ pages, I have in mind a system that will highlight words in a glossary, and link to those terms and definitions, including pictures. That way our FAQ can include a glossary of common Space Camp related terms as well, and that same system can be used elsewhere on the site.

In terms of historical information I'm writing out the basic history of Space Camp programs, and would like to do the same thing for the Museum.

What I think would be beneficial to the history of the Camps is alumni memories, experiences, and voices speaking about camp. I'd like to work on gathering and including that information in the future as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the typo.

-Andrew
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I like some of the improvements made so far. I still don't some thing like how Aviation Challenge is reduced to a wee block on the top, hardly mentioned, but it's improving from what it was before.

Another typo:

Where: http://www.spacecamp.com/resources/restrictions
What: MAT: "(Participants must be able to keep their feet flat on the foot restraints while fully gripping the hand holds for safe operation of the simulator.)"

Another one on the same page:

Canadarm is one word.
- Jennifer -
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

SpaceCanada wrote: Canadarm is one word.
It's true. You can see it plain as day in any Canadian dictionary. It comes shortly after aboot.
Andrew
Camper
Camper

Post by Andrew »

Thanks! Updates are in for both those errors.

With sincere and continued appreciation for your contributions,

Andrew
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The aviation Challenge and USSRC websites are up now and look similar to the new Space Camp page.

The programme pages are no longer links to the space store, but pages of their own. I think a few more photos would spice it up a bit (a photo strip at the bottom maybe?), but it's a big improvement.

It's all starting to come together. I still don't know why the USSRC link at the top opens a new window when the others stay in the same browser, but that's just being picky.

Good job, Andrew. I'll keep browsing and sharing my thoughts as they come up.
- Jennifer -