Well...crud!

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Well...crud!

Post by bnaivar »

Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

It's difficult to say. The article jumped around so much it doesn't sound like anyone knows what will happen. Maybe this... maybe that... A budget cut may force NASA to shuffle resources to its priority projects.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Wello we have herd this kind of thing before and sometimes its true sometimes not. I;ve seen florida today be seriously wrong on things space related in the past. And i'm sure even if this is true there will be a big fight in congress. I have to laugh in a way because if this is true and the lunar program is cut space camp just shot themselves in the foot they have been outting aliot of work into switching things over to lunar programs assuming the program would continue they have scrapped alot of theor ISS modules in recent months.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

http://www.space.com/news/obama-nasa-bu ... 00128.html

Looks likie more and more its being confirmed. Tbis is not good for America's space program. I'm all for extending the ISS lifetime i have no issue there this way it can get some real use as an operational science laboratory but the rest is scary and apalling to me. Comercial space flight has some prommise as long as the funding is there but a commerical space taxi could be even further in the distance than Orion would have been atleast in my mind, Especially since private industry is starting from the ground up. In the mean time NASA will have no clear direction with this plan for anything beyond the ISS and low earth orbit. The goal of developing technology to explore beyond low earth orbit isnt a clear goal. I hope they dont completely abandon all the work done on Orion even behind schedule alot of money has been pured nto it in the last few years. Even if they develop a diffrent launch vehicle for it other than Ares to abandon all the work on the spacecraft itself is such an incredible waist of money. I have a bad feeling Obama just condemned us to low earth orbit for many more years to come. God help NASA.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Back during Alumni camp 2008 I predicted the cut of the Constellation program by the current administration and got shouted down. I'm not here for an "I told you so", but I would like to reiterate something else I said then. If Space Camp is to survive without an active manned space program they're going to have to rethink the entire museum/camp program. I believe they should turn it into a legacy program with sims and experiences from Mercury to the Shuttle. That way they don't have to scrap all of the Shuttle sims, the new Moonscape would just be incorporated into the Apollo program, and the whole Camp experience is still relative. It would just be a retrospective experience.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

bnaivar wrote: I believe they should turn it into a legacy program with sims and experiences from Mercury to the Shuttle. That way they don't have to scrap all of the Shuttle sims, the new Moonscape would just be incorporated into the Apollo program, and the whole Camp experience is still relative. It would just be a retrospective experience.
+1
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner