STS-27: A Close Call

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

STS-27: A Close Call

Post by SpaceCanada »

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/s ... 0327sts27/

"Hoot" was counting his lucky stars after that one!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Thanks for posting the link. Very interesting article. And as one who's gone through a lot of CRM (crew resource management) training, I was cringing at more than a few points. Hoot and Mullane were correct that they should have pushed the issue harder with mission control. They blindly trusted the controllers, who were making decisions based on faulty information and not sharing the background and circumstances that led to those conclusions. Fixing that problem (the making judgements based on bad information) could have been fairly easily identified, one controller asking if the astronauts were seeing clear pictures or making a comment that the pictures appeared very grainy and they thought the astronauts were seeing shadows and such. Getting the clear pictures down to the ground would have been more complicated. Dealing with classified information always is. "The Customer" can be difficult to deal with at times. But that could have been worked out if enough of the right people pushed hard enough.

Whether anything could or should have been done had better images reached the ground is a question that can't be adequately answered. We can only wonder if, perhaps, some changes might have been made that would have prevented the Columbia accident. We'll never know and I'm placing blame or anything. But it does make me wonder. And it should be yet another reminder of the real importance of CRM.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Awesome article! Thanks for posting!

Hoot has some great stories. Him and John Young are the greatest astronauts ever.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner