Space Academy packing list - some questions

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Space Academy packing list - some questions

Post by gt0163c »

So, I leave for Adult ASA this Saturday (going a day early so that I can go to church on Sunday

morning before check-in) and I'm starting to work on my packing list.
There are a few things that aren't on the "official" list that I know to bring, things like duct

tape, backpack, water bottle, flashlight (cause I don't go nearly anywhere without my pack, bottle and flashlight), warm PJs. I travel fairly regularly both for work and pleasure, so I know most of what I'll need, but, what are the things that I'm forgetting specifically for camp?

Here's my not yet complete packing list so far:
Clothing:
Clothes for church on Sunday
Shorts, t-shirts and socks and such for six days
Warm PJs (including thick socks and fleece cap)
Nylon pants
sweatshirt/fleece (for extra cold classrooms/sims)
Athletic shoes
Hiking boots (double as travel shoes and shoes for church)
Teva Sandals (for water activities)
Flip flops for shower
Rain coat
Floppy hat
Ball cap
Swim suit and shorts

Gear:
Combination lock
Shower kit
Towels
Sun Screen
Backpack
Notebook
Pencils and pens
Glasses
Sunglasses
Water bottle
Flashlight
Duct Tape
Gerber pocket tool
Space Camp Barbie
Camera kit (camera, memory cards, batteries and battery charger)
Water camera, film and batteries
Ipod kit (for on plane, includes charger)
Laptop kit (again, mostly for on plane, but also to deal with pictures)
Bible kit
Book (mostly for on the plane and winding down to sleep at night)
Clif Bars and trail mix
Emergency kit - includes string, clothes pins, safety pins, sewing kit, small first aid kit, etc.
Travel kit - eye shade, ear plugs and neck pillow, travel alarm clock
Frisbee (cause I like to toss around when I get a chance, and it has a bunch of other uses)
Deck of cards
Brain book - binder with all travel information, forms, emergency contact information, etc
Lockheed airplane magnets (gift for my team members)
Pack of homemade cookies (gift for family taking me to church)

Possible:
Fleece blanket
Sleep Sheet (much more comfortable than scratchy sheets, also provides extra warmth)

Questions:
- Are adults allowed to carry pocket knives?
- Is the food still as bad I remember it being (slightly below mediocre cafeteria food)?
- Are postcards stamps available for purchase? (Promised my nephews I'd send a post card.)
- Would it make sense to take a couple of books for reference? This would be my old Level II log book (circa 1992) and the Space Shuttle Operators Manual.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

I think you have everything covered! :)

Questions:
- Are adults allowed to carry pocket knives?
Umm... I don't really see why not? I'm pretty sure someone had one during the alumni session? Just don't stab anyone.. lol

- Is the food still as bad I remember it being (slightly below mediocre cafeteria food)?
HA! It's probably WORSE than you remember it being. It was pretty gross. There is a somewhat better caf (not my much though) that you have to pay for. It's for normal visitors of the museum. I think THAT food is about below mediocre caf food. :)

- Are postcards stamps available for purchase? (Promised my nephews I'd send a post card.)
I don't know :( someone that worked there could prob answer! I'm assuming yes though.
- Would it make sense to take a couple of books for reference? This would be my old Level II log book (circa 1992) and the Space Shuttle Operators Manual.
It might be too cumbersome to take old books. They will most likely give you all of the new materials you need. :)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I am glad to see you put duct tape on the list. I have heard that the UAT is difficult to take pictures in, even with an underwater camera, and i assume that the plake (pool-lake) at AC wouldn't be the best. A sweatshirt is good, but i would say more for the Hab than the sims or classrooms. For the most part sims and classrooms are not too cold. For stamps, i would bring some, if possible, because I haven't seen any for sale. If you're looking to save weight and space, i would either skip the pencils and pens or just bring one, since they give you a pen anyway. I wouldn't say the food is THAT bad, just make sure you get food that is impossible to mess up (salad, pre packaged stuff, most breakfast things) :)
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Mercergl wrote:I have heard that the UAT is difficult to take pictures in, even with an underwater camera, and i assume that the plake (pool-lake) at AC wouldn't be the best.
Fortunately, my underwater camera has a flash (it's an inexpensive point and shoot with a water proof housing). It works much better than a disposable, especially in low light conditions. So, hopefully I will be able to get some reasonable pictures.
Mercergl wrote:If you're looking to save weight and space, i would either skip the pencils and pens or just bring one, since they give you a pen anyway.
I seem to misplace pens and pencils, and they're small and light (can go in my pack/carry-on), so weight and space isn't that much of an issue, at least not for those items. Actually, weight isn't reall that much of a concern for me. I seem to have a knack for packing my large duffle right at about 48-49 pounds and getting everything in that I need.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

Mercergl wrote:I am glad to see you put duct tape on the list. I have heard that the UAT is difficult to take pictures in, even with an underwater camera, and i assume that the plake (pool-lake) at AC wouldn't be the best. A sweatshirt is good, but i would say more for the Hab than the sims or classrooms. For the most part sims and classrooms are not too cold. For stamps, i would bring some, if possible, because I haven't seen any for sale. If you're looking to save weight and space, i would either skip the pencils and pens or just bring one, since they give you a pen anyway. I wouldn't say the food is THAT bad, just make sure you get food that is impossible to mess up (salad, pre packaged stuff, most breakfast things) :)
I beg to differ on the AC lake photo thing. ;) Jen's camera went with me down the zip line, and we got some good pictures lakeside. Her camera was waterproof (not in a container) so I don't know how cumbersome it would be in a case, but we had a good time.
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ok as for the pocket knife as long as its not being flashed around or used for violence id say noone would probably have a real problem with it. I'll tell you officially the rules say no knives none of the outdoor activities done by any program should require one and if a knife is needed the camp will provide it. Most likely if they object to it theyd just ask you to keep it in your locker.

Food- after having eaten it this entire last summer i can honestly say the food has gotten alot worse over the years. You as an adult can use the public side cafeteria and i'd suggest doing so if you can. Its still not great bt better than the camp cafeteria.

Post cards are availabke in the gift shop stamps may be available there as well but if not there is a stamp machine over by the transportation office in Hab 1 just ask a counselor if you dont see it.

Book wise i'm not sure they even give books to adult campers anymore. We didnt get one for the alumni camp. However if you get an advanced academy book it is seriously lacking in good information. The current books are pretty pathetic to be honest they are more to give kids something to fill out in lectures. if you have room you might want to take the books you mentioned. Your academy level 2 book will probably be ahead of the stuff they do now. When it became advanced academy they really cut the program back. Hopefully the adult version will be on a higher level than he youth one.

Have a great time take tons of pictures tell any counselors you meet Boomerang says hi.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I would suggest packing some extra snacks to munch on when the cafeteria food isn't enough to fill you up, or later at night.

Also, I don't know about you, but I cannot sleep on a pillow that is as thin as a sheet of paper, so I brought myself an extra pillow. There were only two of us in the room, so there were extra pillows on the beds, but they didn't have pillowcases.

We were also able to go and help ourselves to an extra blanket on our first day. I ended up also using the blanket that I brought with me, so I had three blankets and was still a little chilly.

You'll have lots of fun...no matter how bad the food is (and how small the serving size is) or how cold the hab is, you will still enjoy yourself! Take lots of pictures to share with us!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

gt0163c wrote: Fortunately, my underwater camera has a flash (it's an inexpensive point and shoot with a water proof housing). It works much better than a disposable, especially in low light conditions. So, hopefully I will be able to get some reasonable pictures.
Thats good, because from what I have heared the main problem is low light. It would be great to see some pictures taken underwater! Be sure to post any that you take! Have a great time!
Don't Panic

Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Pete Conrad FanI wrote: beg to differ on the AC lake photo thing. ;) Jen's camera went with me down the zip line, and we got some good pictures lakeside. Her camera was waterproof (not in a container) so I don't know how cumbersome it would be in a case, but we had a good time.
I'm sure pictures are fine above water, and it would be awesome to see a picture or video from the zipline! I was uncertain about underwater, but there's no that much to take a picture of underwater anyway.
Don't Panic

Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

Mercergl wrote:
Pete Conrad FanI wrote: beg to differ on the AC lake photo thing. ;) Jen's camera went with me down the zip line, and we got some good pictures lakeside. Her camera was waterproof (not in a container) so I don't know how cumbersome it would be in a case, but we had a good time.
I'm sure pictures are fine above water, and it would be awesome to see a picture or video from the zipline! I was uncertain about underwater, but there's no that much to take a picture of underwater anyway.
Here is the zipline picture:
Coming down the zipline

And the one taken right after of Jen splashing down:
Jen's flickr

You can click on her photostream too to see more (from those links)
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Those are great!
Don't Panic

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Space Academy packing list - some questions

Post by SpaceCanada »

Looking at the list, here are some of my comments:

I like to pack really light, so I think you have a little overkill, but that's just me.

I do not think you will need thick socks and a fleece cap for sleeping. The Hab is cold, but not THAT cold!

What's the deal with nylon pants? Normal/cotton pants will do just fine.

You won't need a fleece in the classrooms and sims. It is a reasonable temperature in there, so worst case you could wear a long sleeve t-shirt and then maybe a sweater outside if you find it chilly in the mornings.

Underwater cameras, even with flash, are sketchy in the UAT but it is worth a try. I have seen some turn out not so bad.

The Frisbee may come in handy, as will the deck of cards.

I agree with Boomerang about the knife question. You could probably carry one and nobody would care but I don't think you would need it for anything except cutting duct tape, but even then you could use your teeth or a pair of scissors.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Space Academy packing list - some questions

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:I like to pack really light, so I think you have a little overkill, but that's just me.
I tried packing light once. I got snowed in on what was to be a weekend trip. Now I pack with "youth leader" mentality: everything I will most likely need as well as some other stuff that someone will have forgotten. I'm also an engineer and therefore genetically predisposed to live by the boy scout "be prepared" motto.
SpaceCanada wrote:I do not think you will need thick socks and a fleece cap for sleeping. The Hab is cold, but not THAT cold!
While being normally fairly thick blooded, I easily get cold when I sleep. Plus, I live in Texas and am cheap when it comes to paying for air conditioning, so I'm used to sleeping where it's fairly warm. Even in my own house, I wear socks to bed in the winter and will sometimes pull on a hat. I may not need them, but they compact, so they won't take up much room.
SpaceCanada wrote:What's the deal with nylon pants? Normal/cotton pants will do just fine.
That's more a note to myself. I have three kinds of pants: jeans, dockers and nylon. I want to remember to take a pair of pants in addition to the dockers I'll wear to church. But since this is summer, I don't want jeans.
SpaceCanada wrote:You won't need a fleece in the classrooms and sims. It is a reasonable temperature in there, so worst case you could wear a long sleeve t-shirt and then maybe a sweater outside if you find it chilly in the mornings.
Okay, that's great to know. I've heard that from more than one person and will pull that from my list.
SpaceCanada wrote:I agree with Boomerang about the knife question. You could probably carry one and nobody would care but I don't think you would need it for anything except cutting duct tape, but even then you could use your teeth or a pair of scissors.
Unless I'm flying, I always keep a pocket knife and small pocket tool (currently a Leatherman Micra) in my pocket. I use one or the other just about every day it seems. So, it's good to know that it won't be a problem carrying those at camp. I will most likely leave my larger pocket tool (Gerber multi-tool) at home.

This is the information I was hoping for. Thanks and keep the advice coming!
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

A guy from our team in June took his video camera down the zipline at the climbing wall.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009