Endeavour Damage

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Endeavour Damage

Post by Boomerang »

Well as vincent has pointed out here the launch wasn't so clean. And aparently there is a 3 inch gouge in one of the black underside tiles 4 feet away from the gear doors. Radar indicates one of the pieces of foam that shed was actually ice that hit the orbiter. The crew will be performing another indepth inspection of the area tommorow to see how serious the damage is and what if anything needs to be done to fix it or god forbid in worse case rescue the crew. They arent to the point of thinking crew rescue yet they are thinking tile repair however so we will see.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

8O OMG, I'll be sure to stay on top of this and keep them in my prayers.
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Ive heared that this damage is not as bad as some gashes the shuttle has landed with, but those were in the past, before anybody knew the extent of the danger that this damage poses. Hopefully this wont turn out to be a disaster.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

I don't remember which flight it was, but at least one shuttle has landed with fairly severe tile damage, down to the aluminum. The unknown question is how much was done on ascent, and how much on reentry? Was the tile down to aluminum before entry, or only after being subject to heating and dynamic pressure on entry? Also, where was the damage as compared to this flight?

I'm no expert, but I would not be comfortable bringing Endeavour home without doing at least some repair on the gash that's down to aluminum.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985