Mission Space

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Princess
Camper
Camper

Mission Space

Post by Princess »

For those that were not able to make it to alumni camp, I want to share an interesting fact:

Mission Space at Walt Disney World made Story Musgrave sick.
ASA Level I 1988
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 Challenger-Cato, Challumbia-Station Commander "Natasha"
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Mission Space

Post by Richasi »

Princess wrote:For those that were not able to make it to alumni camp, I want to share an interesting fact: Mission Space at Walt Disney World made Story Musgrave sick.
Honestly, I can't see how. =) You pull a G or two but... still... it's not THAT bad =)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

He must have turned his head, thinking "that won't affect me!"
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

rkolker wrote:He must have turned his head, thinking "that won't affect me!"
Well shoot even I've done that. I mean, yeah, it can get disorienting in there but an astronaut getting sick on Mission Space? Maybe they should send me up instead! I'll go! :)
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

ha, I did hear that! one of the best rides at WDW though!
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Well to turn this discussion a little more serious and space related, space sickness isn't really motion sickness in the usual sense and, if at all related, not entirely. There is no really good predictor on earth, even the Vomit Comet. Space sickness is believed to be caused by the inability to tell up from down and to establish other spatial frames of reference. Usually it effects beginners more. MOST astronauts don't throw up. The biggest symptoms are malaise, nausea, loss of appetite, and that sort of thing. They are helped by things like moving slowly, keeping a reference with where the top of the shuttle is (or seems to be), etc. Eyes are as much to do this as inner ears. And it goes away in a day or so. They are helped by drugs related to motion sickness anyway. BTW, many of the more macho astronauts got space sick. Even test pilots who did many sicking turns on high performance jets. It's more of a problem on SkyLab,
Mir, Shuttle or ISS as they can move around more.

Therefore it is possible for Mr. Musgrave to NOT have gotten space sick at all. It is possible that if you go into space (I'm figuring some of you might be young enough) you WILL get space sick, even if you tolerated the ride.

This is a nice lay article on this subject. They do mention vomiting as a symptom, but again I understand this is less common.
http://www.sciencemaster.com/jump/space/motion.php

Sorry to make this serious but I couldn't resist pulling in the real space science aspect of this. Just the teacher in me, sorry sorry. :-)

--des
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

des wrote:Sorry to make this serious but I couldn't resist pulling in the real space science aspect of this. Just the teacher in me, sorry sorry. :-)
--des
How DARE you burst our non-serious bubbles! ;)

Yeah, I'm aware there's a difference. I just find it funny that he'd get a little queasy on M:S but not on his shuttle missions.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yea! Well you try teaching space science for 5 days a week for 3 weeks and see if you can stop yourself. But I'm still sorry!! If I meet Mike Mullaine (he MIGHT come to our little camp in July) I'll ask him if he stands those kind of rides. Of course there is still that right stuff idea in NASA. So he could lie. :-)

--des
Richasi wrote:
des wrote:Sorry to make this serious but I couldn't resist pulling in the real space science aspect of this. Just the teacher in me, sorry sorry. :-)
--des
How DARE you burst our non-serious bubbles! ;)

Yeah, I'm aware there's a difference. I just find it funny that he'd get a little queasy on M:S but not on his shuttle missions.
Princess
Camper
Camper

Post by Princess »

As an extra FYI:

Story said that he told them they needed to accelerate up for one minute...hole the G force for one minute...then decelerate for one minute....

Since they did not do that he said that is why it makes people sick...Story felt that WDW was more interested in building a story then listening to what he said….
ASA Level I 1988
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 Challenger-Cato, Challumbia-Station Commander "Natasha"
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Princess wrote:As an extra FYI:

Story said that he told them they needed to accelerate up for one minute...hole the G force for one minute...then decelerate for one minute....

Since they did not do that he said that is why it makes people sick...Story felt that WDW was more interested in building a story then listening to what he said….
Heard that too but I also heard that they weren't allowed to hold the G force for more than the 25 seconds or whatever they hold it for now. The 'ride safety gods' or the powers that be wouldnt let them for some reason?
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I bet it would have been okay to hold it if it wasn't such a kick in the pants. Mission: Space makes me sick, too.

It's funny that they built that ride around the story while the new Finding Nemo ride was built around the experience/technology. Has anyone ridden it? If not, consider yourself lucky, it really stinks. (Now I'll have to keep an eye on my six, I might be getting a visit from some Disney lawyers!)
Ad astra per aspera.
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Benji wrote:I bet it would have been okay to hold it if it wasn't such a kick in the pants. Mission: Space makes me sick, too.

It's funny that they built that ride around the story while the new Finding Nemo ride was built around the experience/technology. Has anyone ridden it? If not, consider yourself lucky, it really stinks. (Now I'll have to keep an eye on my six, I might be getting a visit from some Disney lawyers!)
i heard finding nemo sucks too. :( and i was looking forward to it!
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

LOL about the space sickness "serious" lecture! I am an ex-teacher, but more importantly, a science person. I did a senior biology paper on the physiological effects of weightlessness, so of course space sickness was included.

The difference between motion sickness and space sickness all has to do with the inner ear. There are three "canals," shaped in a little half-circle (semicircular canals). These three circles follow the x-axis, the y-axis, and the z-axis. As you turn or move, the fluid in these circles gets to moving and disturbs little haired cells inside the circles. This tells you what direction you're going in. If you get the fluid going in a real strong direction one way, and then suddenly move your head in a different direction, you're going to get motion sick. Keep in mind that on Earth, gravity is also influencing this fluid. As the fluid's weight presses on the cells under it (even when your motionless), it tells your body which way is "down." In addition, the signals from your eyes support the signals your brain is getting from the inner ear.

Now, in space sickness, it is the absence of regular movement of this fluid that gets you sick. Without gravity, the fluid has no "weight" in the ear. So the cells, and thus your brain, has no idea if you're vertical on your feet. vertical on your head, or sideways. And, unless someone is in a foot restraint and is swinging an astronaut around in a big circle to get the fluid moving in one direction, this fluid will float and give your brain none of the signals that it is so used to on Earth. The big problem now is that your eyes are still giving you a signal. You might be "heads down" - your eyes are telling you that your head is near the "floor" and that your feet are near the "ceiling" - but your inner ear isn't telling your brain a thing. So in space, you get disoriented from visual signals that are NOT backed up by brain signals (your brain gets conflicting data), and you get space sickness. And yes, it does eventually go away after your brain gets used to the fact that it's not going to get the same positioning signals from your inner ear as the visual cues from your eyes, and learns to adapt and rely only on visual cues.

The vomit comet isn't that great of an indicator of whether or not you'll get sick during space flight. Gravity is still at work for the most part on the vomit comet, at least enough so that your brain can "check in" to see how your body is supposed to be oriented. Space sickness doesn't usually take effect until after 2 to 4 hours of weightlessness. In the KC-135, you aren't weightless for that consecutive period of time. (You get motion sick on the KC-135.)

Basically, the easier your body can ignore the conflicting cues, the less likely it is that you will get space sickness, regardless of whether or not you get motion sickness.

Science class for today is now over. You've been a great class!
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

IMO, that takes a lot of guts for someone like Story to admit that.
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

iheartspacecamp wrote:
Benji wrote:I bet it would have been okay to hold it if it wasn't such a kick in the pants. Mission: Space makes me sick, too.

i heard finding nemo sucks too. :( and i was looking forward to it!
Actually it's all in how you look at it. Compared with what was there - which was nothing for a number of years - the Nemo ride at The Living Seas is actually nice. It's also for CHILDREN and as such adults aren't going to find too much in that. I do happen to like the EAC portion of the ride and for what it is... it's fine.

Now, the Nemo Musical at Animal Kingdom does suck, but again, different audience demographic altogether.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hey Empress, nice lecture. I tried to stay quiet and not listen to my iPod and put my cell phone on vibrate! :-)

BTW, you all are mentioning Finding Nemo. Now gosh, you want to get a really serious aquarium nut ticked, just say Nemo. Though I loved parts of it, it also got all these kids buying clown fish, instead of goldfish. I have one btw, and all the little kids that see it call it Nemo, which is a boy. It is a girl

--des
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Richasi, i think they're talking about the new Finding Nemo ride at Epcot? Right where the Living Seas used to be..? maybe? lol

i always call clown fish nemo too ;) i dunno..they're just cute! i kinda want one too..haha!
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Personally, Soarin' is my fav ride by far at Disney.
Princess
Camper
Camper

Post by Princess »

I will let you know what I think about the Nemo ride since I will be there from July 13-18. :D

Soarin' is good but I still think the best one at CA is Hollywood Tower Hotel and just to make it space related..the best part is the "Zero G" effect..... you can make stuff float 8)

hey, iheartspacecamp, I just got my first fish and it's a Beta
ASA Level I 1988
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Princess wrote:I will let you know what I think about the Nemo ride since I will be there from July 13-18. :D
You will? Don't forget to say hi!