MSFC Tours!!

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

After reading Vincent's latest update on the MSFC tours possibly coming back provided that the ADA is met, I wonder if they would consider a supplementary van as a way of meeting the requirements. Rehabbing a bus would be very costly (you'd need a lift as well as seating capability), as would buying a new bus. However, I'm wondering if a van was purchased (or leased/rented per situation) that could used alongside (follow) the regular buses, if that would be acceptable. I suppose it would all depend on how many accomodations are required by the government. Well, bottom line is, I hope the tours do come back!
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually the i know from experiance the center has a lift van. its old and in pretty sad shape the one time i rode in it and it seems like few know how to use it. If they really want to do it they need to retrofit a bus for the job. They have trainees and now a counselor who could bennefit from it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

i see the MSFC tours resuming. Easily. One-two month's revenue of MSFC ticket fare will pay for the retrofit or new buses. After that, it's all gravy!

Buy da revamped buses, open the Arsenal, crank up da tours, and bring in that old revenue the Rocket Center has been missing since 9/11.

Hotdog wants to stand atop an SSME Test Stand once again...
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

Jason, I am in 100% agreement with you! I think there are probably more trainees than are obvious who might benefit from such a vehicle. Even when I am finally out of my cast, I will never have the stability in that leg that I previously had, and I had trouble in the first place with high steps due to the fact that I have a lot of muscle weakness in my quadriceps. So I'd be right behind you! (...unless I tried to "elbow" you out of line!!! But I'm a real cream puff and you'd still probably beat me to it!) LOL - You should have seen my face when I realized I wasn't sure if I could pull myself into the van at the airport. I had a real fear that I'd go for it (I'm very stubborn) and end up on the street on my behind! Yup - Space Camp could sure use something!
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Refitting a bus is quite expensive, what they should do is try to find a used one, if they don't already have one. If they are really serious (and they should be) about disabled campers and staff they need to do this. There are also temporary disabilities.

I sure hope they are really planning on starting these tours up. It was definitely a highlight for me. Though I almost got left behind in the area where they were building the space station mockup. I was so wowed by the slick walls and floor and so on. I doubt anyone would have known I was missing. :-)

--des
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

LOL about almost getting left behind at Marshall! I remember that area well. I didn't get left behind, but I remember on one tour they told us how much money was spent on the interior design of the space station - including the psychology of the wall / floor / ceiling colors. Now, let me preface this by saying that I KNOW this stuff is important, and that it is important to consider such things before you build. BUT, I remember thinking at the time that they were never going to get the station off of the ground if they spent that much $ deciding on which shade of tan / peach to color the walls!!! (Besides, I like "cool" colors - I would probably go bonkers in a confined area that was colored in "warms"! - Also, it would "clash" with the out-the-window colors of Earth! I wouldn't like that...) It really made me appreciate the more "practical" attitudes of Skylab, Mir, and the Salyuts!!!

We did get to see a SSME test firing at Marshall one year. That was simply amazing! We don't get displays like that in Chicago! Made me even sorrier that I've never seen a live launch. BTW - Rich, if you read this post, that was the year Peter, Joe, and I went, so that's why you don't know what I'm babbling about...!
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Well they didn't explain that much to us. Just said this is the prototype of the interior of the space station. I must of forgotten to ask re: the color schemes. Are you sure you are not related to my late father? He'd go along in a version of "drive by" architecture-- roof is too low, too much roof pitch, this red is too red, should be more brown, etc. He'd probably have been good at the human factors thing (of course he was a little old for that).

I didn't get left behind either, but it was very close.

Some day I'll see a real launch!! It's on my top ten.

--des
empress wrote:LOL about almost getting left behind at Marshall! I remember that area well. I didn't get left behind, but I remember on one tour they told us how much money was spent on the interior design of the space station - including the psychology of the wall / floor / ceiling colors. Now, let me preface this by saying that I KNOW this stuff is important, and that it is important to consider such things before you build. BUT, I remember thinking at the time that they were never going to get the station off of the ground if they spent that much $ deciding on which shade of tan / peach to color the walls!!! (Besides, I like "cool" colors - I would probably go bonkers in a confined area that was colored in "warms"! - Also, it would "clash" with the out-the-window colors of Earth! I wouldn't like that...) It really made me appreciate the more "practical" attitudes of Skylab, Mir, and the Salyuts!!!

We did get to see a SSME test firing at Marshall one year. That was simply amazing! We don't get displays like that in Chicago! Made me even sorrier that I've never seen a live launch. BTW - Rich, if you read this post, that was the year Peter, Joe, and I went, so that's why you don't know what I'm babbling about...!