Alumni Camps Whos going and when?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

If you talk about this stuff as much as I do, he probably will feel like an alumnus. :-) In a college alumni weekend, you can bring a spouse, I'm sure they just never thought about it.

--des
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx wrote:This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway..

Do you need to be an alumni to register for the weekend alumni camp? I married a man who never went to camp 8O , and would like him to come with me if I go.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Vincent wrote:And anyway, he's an alumnus by marriage! :wink:
I asked about this before, when I went to adult camp. It wa only open to alumnus, but since I was bringing a non-alumni friend they let her come too. I asked about spouses and they said they could go as well. This was for a normal adult alumni week though, not the 25th anniversary stuff. (and, our normal camp session was cancelled, so they were really trying to find us another date to go.)

They don't actually check your alumni status, especially if you have a new married name and don't quote your previous account number. I cannot see it being a problem.

If you married a non-alumni, and you are anything like me, your spouse knows as much of Space Camp as anyone who has ever been there. In fact, my husband jokes 'I've been there before, remember' whenever I go into some crazy trivial about Space Camp.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Now there's a laugh!! I don't know that they had account numbers back then, and if they did I doubt that either of us (space camp) or I would know where it was. :-)

I am going to try and work out the money thing this weekend, so I can sign up. THere was something on the cancellation and refund policy I wanted to see, which has been down the last few days.

--des
SpaceCanada wrote:and don't quote your previous account number. I cannot see it being a problem.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

i remember when i went in 98 i called down there ahead of time to see which track i had gotten because the stuff they sent me didnt say. They asked my accounbt number i gave it to the lady and she said "and?" I was like thats it. She said there should be more numbers. I told her i'd gone to camp before. She said there should still be more i said i went in 1991 for the first time then she knew why the number was so low. Seems like repeat campers werent as common in those days. And to show what a space camp geek i am my number was 8912. and i remembered that without looking it up.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I know that returnees weren't as common but they have always had them. When I went there were a group of gals my age, and they had been to the adult (not the long one or anythng) session 6-7 times.
They were working for ten I guess. I considered AC to be kind of a return. I know for some people it isn't, but to me it was partly about being there at the Space center.

BTW, does anyone know the cancellation and return policy? It still doesn't work. I ask because I got into this at in the Space Educator's Conference. I almost didn't go. I got very sick and couldn't go. I got some better, and though I wasn't maybe 100%, I ended up going. Their cancellation policy was essentially none. I thought it was kind of unfair, as I had signed up for the SCUBA Session. I couldn't do it due to the cold, and they just took my card. I'm sure they sold it. So they essentially got two fees for it. If it had been much more I might have been pretty ticked, I was merely a little ticked. I think that no refund should mean there would be no opportunities for them to recoup what you registered for. I even think there should be an illness policy, just my thoughts.
As I recall space camp had kind of a percentage system, though that was long ago so I don't recall.

--des
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

you get 90% back if you cancel in writing 4 (or maybe 6) weeks in advance of the date.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

On top of what Vincent said, since I come from out of the country, I get travel insurance with my flight, so if I am too ill to go or whatever I have the insurance for it. I don't know if that works within the USA though.
- Jennifer -
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well its official i am now registered for August 2-5 alumni adult camp session. Man this is going to be a long 5 months. But i cant wait.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

YAY!! Congratulations Jason!

The wait will be worth it, I'm sure.
- Jennifer -
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

I'm going on the first alumni weekend for a space academy session.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I'm not sure I can afford it, bu I'm trying my hardest to talk myself into it. I'll probably be going to the June session. I wish there was something like an 8-day extended option, I want to stay longer and do more.
Ad astra per aspera.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Yeah, tell me about it...a part of me was disappointed finding out they were going to only do weekend camps for adults (though, to be fair, they are a day longer than normal).

Then again, I'll be around for the June and August sessions, so that helps immensely (which is like paying for an 8 day session as it were).
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I have to admit an 8 day or even 6 day session would be nice but i doubt i could have afforded one of those anyway. But 4 days is better than nothing i had given myself till the 6th with my hotel reservation to get some extra time unfortunately the fights home are all early on the 6th but atleast i'll have the afternoon of the 5th to still go around too,
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I have always been annoyed that they only have the advanced adult camps a limited no. of months. None of which are available to me as a teacher. I guess I am supposed to want to go to the Educator camps, but I don't really.

--des
Vincent wrote:Yeah, tell me about it...a part of me was disappointed finding out they were going to only do weekend camps for adults (though, to be fair, they are a day longer than normal).

Then again, I'll be around for the June and August sessions, so that helps immensely (which is like paying for an 8 day session as it were).
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Hmm... $400 is a very nice, low price, especially if I can convince my parents to chip in a bit for a trip down memory lane. How many of the festivities are part of the June session? For instance, would I still have to buy a separate ticket for the Shatner-dinner and whatnot?

I'm thinking with the nights in the Hab and the included activities, this is totally worth it.

Time to bet and plead with my mom.

Also, that cancellation policy seems reasonable, seeing as if I'm lucky I'll be there as a counselor (though that even has a hint of non-luck since I'll probably be busy instead of participating).
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Follow-up... or, you know, that camp could be THE EXACT SAME DATES AS BONNAROO. Geez, someone made a bad choice along the way. Crap, now I have to make an actual decision, or give up most the festivities and do the August dates. Or hope I just get the counselor job and have to sell my ticket anyway.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Alright, I just made my reservation for the June camp and for the HoF ceremony. :D

I need to make lodging and transportation plans for the night of the 13th, though, since they said I couldn't stay in the Hab. What are you guys doing?
Last edited by Benji on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i'm not going till august but i'm staying at the marriott.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Really wish one of these two organizations hadn't chosen to hold something so major on the exact same weekend...

Oh well. Depending on my final summer plans, I'd definitely be willing to go in August if I can.
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

This is my first post--great site--and a total blast from the past!

Is anybody taking their kids to the Alumni Parent/Child weekend? My boys will be 8 and 10 and I'm thinking about the August P/C weekend.
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Camp I, April 1986; Camp, April 1987
Academy I, April 1988; Academy I, April 1989
Academy II, Feb 1990; Aviation Challenge, Jun 1990