What and Why?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

What and Why?

Post by DanM »

What do I need? What should I know? Why do I need kneepads? Why do I need duck tape? Who Is Bubbles?
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Re: What and Why?

Post by Space Nerd »

DanM wrote:What do I need? What should I know? Why do I need kneepads? Why do I need duck tape? Who Is Bubbles?
Read everything in this forum for the answer to the first two. You don't need kneepads. When don't you need duct tape? Bubbles is a counselor that I think still works at camp.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

there is no real answer to why you need duct tape, but somethig will come up during the week when yor will want it, such as taping a counselor to a chair, or more likely in your case as an aid to keeping racks nice and tight
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I'm going to show up looking stupid with duct tape in my bag because i can't tell if you guys are joking or not :( 8O
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Seriously... duct tape comes in handy at camp, especially during the EDM missions. Since we do not have velcro everywhere to keep things from 'floating away', duct tape works wonders. If anything, bring some to the EDM, you'll need it. If you don't need it, then at least you came prepared, and you won't look stupid - we all bring duct tape - the counsellors are used to it. Seriously...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

that and im serrious about using it to keep racks tight, you just put it under another layer so that it isn;t visible and it works wonders, that and there are soooooo many pranks that it can be used for
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Duct tape can come in very handy at times especially in the advanced programs whebn handling anomolies don't know how much it would work for other programs but i'm sure it would have its uses.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

so why dont they fix the problem.. i know they have to wounder whats with the tape..
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

huh?????
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
landon
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by landon »

I THINK, he was meaning to say: You shouldn't need to fix problems that arrise from Anomolies with duck tape.

<<< I think thats what he was saying, if not, then I dunno...

I am having a bit of trouble understanding where duck tape comes in myself... They must REALLY have some dussies if it takes duck tape to fix'em 8O

It could be like caving (I'm a caver)... Everyone tells you to "Bring a pocket knife! It will come in handy"... I have been caving for 8 years and not once have I encounterd a problem where I need a pcoket knife. I think its more of a Tradition than anything else.... But It could come in handy I guess, can't hurt to bring a roll.
Landon Parks,
[email protected]

Wants a Gmail address? Ask me.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Its not to fix problems with camp... Its to fix problems (anomalies) that the counselors are going to spring on you. Its simple problem solving really...
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

For example... (both from my youth trips to ASA)

A "fire" breaks out on the space station. Your crewmate grabs the extinguisher and sprays it on the fire. However, your crewmate forgot to brace themselves and due to the 'action/reaction' law, was thrown against the wall and broke their back. Now you must stabilise your crewmate so they cannot move their back. Since there are no spine boards on the space station, you grab your duct tape and tape them to the floor. Immobilisation complete...

or...

One of your crewmates gets homesick and starts acting up. They start trying to open the airlock with everyone inside. (If they open the airlock you all die.) So, to restrain them, you duct tape them to the floor, a wall, a chair, etc. until they calm down.

Thus, proving why you need to bring duct tape. Similar scenarios do occur in MOCR and on the shuttle.

Duct tape won't really come in handy for Space Camp or Academy, but it is a definite must for ASA.
- Jennifer -
landon
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by landon »

They better not tie me down to anything if I go... lol. As to these "Anomolies", it seems to me from what Im reading that the whole EDM is filled with nothing but these, which to me would get kind of boring and "Unreal" after a while... I mean, in real life, there isn't going to be THAT many anomolies in such a short time period... Unless NASA totally looses touch and just lets it all go.

I can see maybe 2 or 3 anomolies the whole time (even thats a bit extreme)...

Personally, rather than fill up the missions with Anomolies, they should just make the missions themselves more interesting. At least thats they way I see it, because if the missions where REALLY super interesting, there wouldn't be any time for a ton of Anomolies....

I can see maybe the shuttle loosing radio contact once, some kind of engine failure once and maybe a home sick austronaut going nuts, but anything more would just be to much, for the shuttle anyway.

I'm guessing the Adult Academy is like this too? I mean for kids it one thing, but I cant see a bunch of adults putting out an imaginary fire on the space station :roll: ...Maybe thats just me....
Landon Parks,
[email protected]

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

EDMs aren't FULL of anomalies. I think we only ever had one 'or two major anomalies each time, but a few smaller ones like a buzzer or a solar flare, etc. The EDM has a lot of other interesting stuff too, don't worry; things like experiments, checklists, station and shuttle maintenance, monitoring things, etc.

Adult camp is a bit different, yes, although similar too. My adult 8-day camp was a complete mash of craziness during the 24-hour EDM. We were solving anomalies in ways other than in the book. We missed docking with the supply ship, so lets do an EVA to retrieve it and get our stuff... totally not-by-the-book. Or, when we had an electrical problem, some guy pulled out the elctrical diagrams we got earlier that week and found a random switch to make thigns work again - once again, not by the book. Then, we had an ear doctor (a real one) on our team, so when someone had a 'headache' he totally went all out and said he needed to perform surgery and stuff - it was great.

Again, anomalies are not the reason for the EDM, and they are not the entire EDM either. They do, however, make the EDM rather memorable and they are a good outlet to have fun amidst all the technical and serious stuff. We did a lot of fun 'real' stuff on our adult EDM, things like ARISS (amateur radio on the ISS), EVAs, checklists, maintenance stuff, changing orbits, docking with the ISS, etc. It was definitely a learning experience.

Also, in the adult alumni (and youth) programme they make you write your own scripts for the EDM. That means you have to find all the cheklists and write them down in the proper order, create a mission timeline (somewhat), write up EVA instructions and procedures, create checklists for maintenance procedures, etc. It was a lot of work but it was incredibly fun as well.

Counsellors also tune into their team's personalities. If they have a team that has a 100% serious attitude and wants things done as serious as possible all the time, and no funny business, they'll do that. On the other hand, if they have a team that is, say, 85% serious, they'll add a few fun anomalies to make things interesting. Also, in reality, the EDM would be like a training mission for astronauts. In real astronaut training they do have missions where absolutely everything goes wrong just to test the skill of the crew. Consider it an honour if they throw every anomaly possible at you and you keep your cool, fix everything, and survive!

Look forward to everything at camp, even the EDMs, because no matter how silly they sound, you will walk away with a smile on your face and a sense of satisfaction. (Unless, of course, you crash land on re-entry and kill everyone...)
Last edited by SpaceCanada on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jennifer -
Right Stuff
Camper
Camper

Post by Right Stuff »

when i went to AC i brought duck tape... cuz everyone on the forums told me to and i thought it couldnt hurt.. and it came in handy~! i used it to tape my sheets onto my bed... my bed was perfect!!! and the sheets were to tight u could bounce a penny on it and it would keep bouncing... lol... had the best bed there... made it the first night and slept in another bed the rest of the time... (luckly there were only 5 guys on my team~) lol... duck tape can be a lifesaver sometimes! dont forget it~ lol...
Aviation Challenge Mach III April 30-May 5
Team: Blacklions
Team Leader: Callsign Pooky
My Callsign: SPAM (as origional Mercury 7 astronauts were called "spam in a can")
Others Callsigns on team: Sheila, Comet, Jetlag, Nemo, Squack
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

yeah you only get a few major anomolies like that, and your completely wrong without the anomolies the edm would be really boreing
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I really think that you're spending too much time analyzing camp before you've even been there. You can't expect to know what your experience would be like just based on our experiences. Space camp is not something that can be explained by the best writer it has to be experienced. If you want to go and the resources are avaliable just try it. I've never known anybody who couldn't find something about their week that made it worth while.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
landon
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by landon »

Yeah, but still, $1,000 is a lot of money to shell out for 6 days... I just hope it's worth the money thats my only concern.
Landon Parks,
[email protected]

MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

well if your experience turns out to be ANYTHING like that of most of us here, it will definately be worth it
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well space camp is expensive there is no doubt of that but i have never met anyone who didnt think the experiance was worththe money you spend.
Ask yourself these questions.
1. Am i intrested in spaceflight as it reALLY IS not the fancy unrealistic stuff seen in the movies but the often times hard working rarely glamourous space flight that is today's space program. As well as the science that goes along with it. If you go there expecting to blow up asteroids fire laser guns or meet aliens you will be disapointed this isnt the movies.
2. Do i want to know what it takes to become an astronaut? And get a taste of whatthe training is like?
3. Do i want to meet other people the same age who have the same intrest from all over the country and sometimes around thw world?
4. Do i want to make friends that will last a lifetime?
5.Do i want to learn more about human spaceflight its pastpresent and future.

If you can answer yes to any of these then i'd sayits worththe money because you will have all of the above if you go to camp.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador