Cheapest/ best time to go?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Cheapest/ best time to go?

Post by Fatal291 »

I need to know the best time to go when rates and stuff are down.. I'm from Ricmond VA and I'm going to ASA. I herd the winter time.. but obviously thats during school. However my birthday is the 28 so should I wait til then.. is it worth it then? How long of a stay would u recomend first timers? I doubt I would be bored but as far as fees how long to stay.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

ASA is $999 in the summer months.
Chaper rates ($699) begin the week of 20-25 August and goes through December.

If you do not have school then, I would recommend going in late August or early September.

Going during the school year isn't so bad if you can get permission from your teachers and catch up on your work before you go.

When is your birthday, the 28th of what month, and how old are you turning?

I think first timers should go to the 6-day programme first, especially if you are concerned about costs. The 13-day programme is only during the summer, so it is a whole lot more expensive.

Also, if your flights can work around it (it always made my flights cheaper), come a day early and/or stay a day late.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

Post by CampGirlKelly »

I missed school twice for camp.. Freshman year of high school, we had two short spring breaks, so I missed about 3 days of school for my trip to ACIII. My junior year of high school, I went with friends I had met the year before at ASA, and they all had break the week before me, so my mom let me skip a week of school.
My teachers were all pretty OK with it because I contacted them a few weeks in advance and was able to do as much as I could before I went away. I also used some of the down time we had (like waiting for team mates on simulators) to do the homework that my class was working on. I also found that if you provided a note from camp stating where you were and that you were learning while you were there, that I was able to have excused absences.

kelly
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I also missed school two weeks for different camp trips. During the first one i went in october and the second time in september. My school and principal didn't have any problem with me going because it was considered a learning experience. All that was required of me was that I give a few short speeches to various clubs and boards around my city.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I've missed school to go to camp in April. All I needed to do was have my parents give written approval for me to go, and the school had no problem with it.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i mised school to go to camp my second time 13 years ago this week actually. Teachers didn't really seem to have a problem with it. Actuallly back in those days they wanted to have a science or math teacher sign something anyway to make them aware you were going also in case they might give you extra credit for the experiance. Actually suprisingly my teachers didn't even require me to do much work that week though i wouldn't count on that. Worst part was coming back and having to go back to class a couple of days later.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Wow, I'm jealous. I don't think my parents ever woulda let me miss school... But Christmas Camp is awesome, but I think I paid the same when I did that ($899 when I went... 3 1/2 years ago). But if you can go when its cheaper I would... offseason is always best. I went the last week of May cuz Florida schools get out earlier than some and it was more fun to have less people around...
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Well money really isen't a problem (yea right lol) I just wanted to know if i could save, it would be dumb to go knowing i could have save close to $300. I turn 18 and I'm what u can call home school but i have to go to a center 3 days a week (tues-thrus) so really i can go at anytime. Thanks!!
Rogue Leader
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Rogue Leader »

i wish my dad would let me miss school but i've finaly convinced him to let me go during the summer.
-Rogue Leader
Rogues, Take'em Out
F-22s Rule!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

You could go to Christmas Camp - you probably wouldn't have to miss school then either.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

School is not an issue for me
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

Best time to go...Late august
Why Go August 20-25?
Thats when im going
^^thats a reason lol
off season begins
rates are DIRT CHEAP
not crowded at all
less groups (most started school around the country)
which means more one on one competition with other groups
literally, its deserted. no lines for G4orce or SpaceShot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

so Best time to go...Latet August 20-25? or your just saying that causeyour going?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the week of the 4th of july this week infact was always my favorite to go went down there twice the week of the 4th. But it isnt the cheapest and it is in peak season so it is crowded but i liked having alot of people there just meant i got to meet more people.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

lol sry u read my answer a lil wrong
these are the REAL reasons to go august 20-25

--like i said before, dirt cheap for what you get.

--maximum amount of tourists/visitors not related camp in an area at the ussrc at any given time is about 10. this is atleast what ive seen.

--You have triple+ the time for G-Force, SpaceShot, Rockclimbing

--Less groups (around 2-4 per program) means knowing people closer than just "oh yeah, i recognize that kid". alos less groups means a better chance at winning things like area-51, shuttle-missions, space-bowl, and the rightstuff award.

--musuem is always near empty so it's very easy to get around without crowds of people in your way

--IMAX movies that u go to are usually all spacecamp kids. which means u can scream, laugh, boo, whatever and no one really cares. In general you have more freedom because there isnt the risk of bothering tourists and museum-goers

--Every year i have been at the beginning of off-season and it's awsome. I can say I've been on G-Froce 6 times non stop lol. I probably wouldnt be saying that if i went during peak. My friends can say they've been on space shot 4-times in a row. I havent been on it yet because i have been somewhat scared/a wuss lol. But i plan on doing it this year. All in all i feel you get a richer experience going then. well, hope this helps more.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Imax movies were never a problem when i went because it was always after the museum had closed so we always had all camp kids and some mischevous counselors in the imax theater. One airing of Blue Planet where counselrs added to a rainy scene with water guns comes to mind.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

hahahaha! sounds pretty great.
when we went to see operation red-flag (i think thats the name) my counselor came up to us an reinacted the entire opening monolougue before it began. It started out something like "Guys, when i was young, my grandfather was my hero...." and he all had us beleiving that he just suddenly decided to tell us something from his childhood. then, when the movie started, some of the more gulible kids started saying "Oh my God Ronnie!!! this movie's based on you?!"
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

see i kind of like having a lot of people more friends to make and the more competition between groups the more fun it usualy is
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i hsve to agree with maytag on this one. I always liked having full sixed teams and more competition with the other teams it was part of the fun.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Ok if that is what you all say.. August is the best time to go.. thanks. I know this is kinda off topic or has been posted before but like I said I am from Richmond Virginia.. have u guys ever flown down there alone or do u do with your parents. My mom and I were talking about this today also.. she wants to come down here but is also willing to let me go by myself. I am 17 and obviously I really don't want them to come but they might enjoy it i dunno. :?