$$$ and Bunks- not a "REAL" first timer

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

rycho626 wrote:space camp really doesnt lok fun to me. academy is alot better.
Actually, I have enjoyed every single year I've gone at each level... it's an awesome time.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

My advice:

BUNKS

Pick whichever bunk you want. If you do not like top bunks, choose a bottom one, but beware, there are only two bottom bunks per room. As for the top bunks being colder, I cannot say much because I always take the top bunk. You can close the vents in your room if you get too cold. (Paper or cardboard taped over the vent works nice.) Either way, bring warm pyjamas - sweatpants and a sweater work well.

SPENDING MONEY

You have been to camp before, so you probably remember what the gift shop offers. If you want anything from the gift shop then bring appropriate cash. If you want a mission patch, bring an extra $10 for that. Otherwise, $10 is good for Dippin' Dots, snacks, etc. for the week.

MOBILE PHONES

People who constantly chatter on mobile phones drive me crazy, no matter who or where they are. The simple rule to follow with mobile phones, anywhere, is use them only when necessary. At camp this means using them to call home when you arrive, and again at night (if desired). [I would even recommend only using your phone in the telephone area in the Habitat, just like everyone using the normal phones, not your bedroom or classroom!] At all other times your phone should be turned off. Nobody wants to be interrupted by a ringing mobile phone - it is not only rude, it can distract everyone who would otherwise be trying to enjoy the Space Camp (or Academy) experience.

SPACE CAMP vs SPACE ACADEMY

While I have been to neither of these programmes, I would suspect that you will have evern more fun at Space Academy than you did at Space Camp. You are older now, you can learn more, and you are more responsible. The Academy program will reflect that. It will be more challenging and it will build on things you already learned in Space Camp.

That would be my two bits, or 50 cents. Use your common sense, be yourself, and have a really wonderful time at Space Academy!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

When I went in 2000 I was 11 and camp was the greatest and I loved it. Camp got me addicted to the entire program. The next year at academy I loved it...I think the programs correspond well with kids ages...as I got older I wanted more and more "challenging" sims...(and to do what the big kids did :) )
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

SpaceCanada wrote:SPENDING MONEY

You have been to camp before, so you probably remember what the gift shop offers. If you want anything from the gift shop then bring appropriate cash. If you want a mission patch, bring an extra $10 for that. Otherwise, $10 is good for Dippin' Dots, snacks, etc. for the week.
I didn't discover how amazing Dippin' Dots were until my second year! Even then I think I only got them twice. I really wish I'd have gotten more, they're soooo good. True it's just ice cream, but I never get little dots as my ice cream, it was pretty exciting, lol.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Haha. Back when they were still called 'Space Dots' we had them all over in Michigan. Most of the malls had the little carts so i ate them quite a bit before i went to camp the first time. I really do like the chocolate mint ones though!

Actually come to think of it.... The Palace of Auburn Hills has an entire concession of dippin dots! lol.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Space Nerd wrote:Haha. Back when they were still called 'Space Dots' we had them all over in Michigan. Most of the malls had the little carts so i ate them quite a bit before i went to camp the first time. I really do like the chocolate mint ones though!
Wow, I'm impressed. Space Camp was my first experience with them, and yes, they were called Space Dots at the time... that one actually took me a while to get used to. But awesome, they sure are. Methinks I'll be bringing about a $30 Dippin Dots fund for 12-day.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I really wish they had them around here, it would be awesome!
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

psych0rabbit wrote:I really wish they had them around here, it would be awesome!
Oregon Locations.
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

I am actually deathly afraid of Dippin' Dots. I had them at our state fair, and when I put a bunch in my mouth, they refused to melt, so my tongue and lips got frozen together. I was probably a funny sight, because I was trying to scream and couldn't because my mouth was frozen shut! They did finally melt, but not before I panicked that I would have to pull my mouth apart and hurt myself! :o

I think I'll just stick to chocolate bars! Okay, maybe "stick to" was a poor choice of words *shudder* 8O Eat chocolate bars...
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

the only time i have them is camp and at an amusement park near me
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Space Nerd wrote:Back when they were still called 'Space Dots'...
So I am not losing my mind... good... I could have sworn they were called 'Space Dots' but when I returned to camp last year they were called 'Dippin' Dots'. I simply thought I was wrong and that us campers nicknamed them 'Space Dots'. Okay, I feel better now... I am not as crazy as I thought... thanks! <sigh of relief>

Mmmm... Space Dots...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Vincent wrote:
psych0rabbit wrote:I really wish they had them around here, it would be awesome!
Oregon Locations.
Holy cow!! Vincent, you're amazing!!!!! :D
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I just feel the need to mention that Space Dots and Dippin Dots aren't exactly the same... Way back when they were Dippin Dots they hadnt quite perfected the freezing process so they were actually kinda painful to eat because they froze off the first layer of skin in your mouth (i am so not kidding about this). This meaning that I fully understand Carrie's story! Sometimes the more permanant booths for them actually keep them too cold so that you have that issue too... This is why i much prefer the Dippin Dots from the machine at camp they're already a little soft so its not like eating dry ice. :lol:
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

Cool...knowing this, I may get the courage to retry them on my next trip to camp :)
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Yeah, they're much easier/safer to eat now! I would definitly give them another try they're not something you want to miss out on!
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

Thank you SO SO SO much for your tips!!!!! Only problem is, I'm allergic to Space/Dippin Dots. ( they use traces of peanuts in their stuff) Oh well....
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Well they arnt THAT good! You'll still have lots of fun even without them! But do watch out for stuff you're allergic to and make sure you put that you're allergic to them on your health form because the nurses get REALLY mad if you dont. :lol:
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

i know, i know. i just feel somewhat left out when the entire team is walking around with dippin dots..... *sighs*
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Just come up with some sort of witty response as to why you arnt eating them like.... "Dippin Dots are SOOO last year!" Ok so that wasnt really witty... but you get the idea. :lol:
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

how about...... "You are eating all of those nasty calories that will eventually kill you...?" is that witty???..... actually...i dont think it is that witty either :?

my friend didn't get dippin dots either, so i am not entirely alone...

i know dippin dots dont seem big to you, but when you can't have them, they seem like the most important thing in the world