Where is everybody?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

well the reason my team does so well is because were from fargo, the largest ND city so we have the most tennis resources availible... but we ALWAYS lose to this one team. seriously it gets so annoying never being able to beat them. oh well i guess . my team is mostly upperclassmen now. but next year we are gonna have some 8th graders who are pretty good coming up to varsity so it will be more evened out.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

wow! sounds like you guys have an awsome team set up for the next few years! After I graduate next year the team is going to have a hole in it for a year or two b/c the younger kids are not quite "there" yet. As of right now the whole team is juniors with one senior a sophmore and a freshman. are lineup is a little bigger because the people who play singles do not always play doubles...
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

for your meets do you also do the top 6 singles and top 3 doubles teams? i know that diff. states do it differently and would be interested to know how you do it.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

For varsity (i don't know about jv) we play the top six in singles and top three in doubles. normally we play a 10 game pro set to start off the match and if it starts getting dark we move to an 8 game pro set. We play best 2 out of 3 at tourn. or with our real competitive teams...what about you guys? what do you play to?
~Siobhan
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

for all our matches we do best 2 of 3 sets. but sometimes if its getting dark and a match goes into a third set we do a 7 point tiebreaker.

im not sure about our JV either, but i think they do 6 game prosets.

it gets really tiring playing 3 sets of doubles and then playing 3 sets of singles.. i like your system better.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Tennis is like a different language...
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

hehe. a wonderful language though.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

The boys tennis team at my school almost didn't exist this year. It was really hard for them to find enough guys to do it. I got to watch the guys (some of which I knew well) run around trying to find others to sign up before the deadline. I think in the end they did get enough to have a team.
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

awww. thats sad! my tennis team always has enough people. our JV almost has too many- like 40 people.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

my team as a whole has 33 people but only 11 are varsity...i think jv is broken down into divisions like jv a, jv b,....ect our boys team was really good last year, 3rd in state but this year they all stink! (i didn't say that :wink: ) we (the girls) are challenging the guys to a match at the end of the season to see how it goes. I have spring break this week and i've been at a tennis clinic with the guys team and man they hit hard! I didn't know there was that big of a diffrence! it's 3 hours every day this week which doesn't sound like that much except it's hard drills then some play and then drills again with sprints thrown into the mix...sucides over two courts are just not my thing :? does your team have to give up their break for a clinic or tourn? b/c we were supposed to go to a tourni but it was delayed...
~Siobhan
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

as a whole we must have like 50 people, the top 9 of us are varsity.. and jv we just lump together as one bit jv team... our boys team is good also.. they are 2nd in state as well, and they always lose to the same team as us at state lol... guys do hit hard, i take lessons at the local club and we mix girls and guys together, i think in my level there is 3 girls and like 8 guys so it helps to have experience hitting against guys, i think... my team has the WHOLE break off, its gonna be so nice... but yeah i have a sprint story, so like i went to the air force academy tennis camp, and it was soooooooooo awsome like 10 hours of playing a day, but they make you run and run and run and run and they made us run the line 27 times in a row, once for each ball we neglected to pick up, and seriously i almost passed out at the end, the high elevation didnt make things better. but it was fun anyways...this weekend i will busy even if i dont have tennis, cuz im filling out college apps all weekend, that should be fun.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

wow you went to a tennis camp at the airforce academy!! that's awsome! i wanted to attend there but i get migraines that can't be wavered :? today it was our last day at the camp so our coach was like lets have some fun. we played tennis 9 on 9 over 2 courts with the coach feeding the ball...it was really fun! i'm starting to like hitting with the guys now, i like the ball being hit hard....we played on clay courts today. i was split stepping and i completly slid forward...it's really diffrent from cement courts...
~Siobhan
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

fun!.. have you ever played tennis gussmacker (think thats how its spelled) thats a favorite among my team members...i relly like hitting with guys, cuz one of my strenghths is that i can hit and return power, ive never played clay. upkeep in ND would obviously be a nighmare, but i have played on grass, definitely a different experience as well. Clay gets you all caked in clay doesnt it?... one time me and my tennis teacher talked about it, and he grew up on clay and grass cuz hes from england and i remeber him saying how annoying it is to be covered in this red clay after playing.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

hmm i've never heard of gussmacker...how does it work? I've never played on grass...actually i had never heard of grass courts until a few days ago. I have a friend who lives in kwajalin (sp) and the only courts they have there are grass. After i fell in the clay i had it all over me so yes, you can get covered in clay. the courts here are green clay courts. Kinda weird since alabama is covered in orange clay...
~Siobhan
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

gussmacker is a 3 on 3 tennis game... i dont remember a lot of it, its been a while since ive played but its fun... clay looks like it would suck. and the ball bounces sooooo slow... grass is really fast...yes that is weird that you courts are green clay, esp. cuz all my shoes get caked in red clay evertime at camp... what racket do you use? i go through rackets fast, but right now im using a babolat pure drive
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

How fast is fast? I'm using a wilson hyper hammer right now but i need to get a new raquet, and my coach told me no more wilson...i need a raquet for power because lil' ol me can't produce enought power unless i really fustrated and i can't keep that up too long b/f i get wiped....
~Siobhan
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

fast is i guess faster than a hard court, noticeably faster....i used to use a hyperhammer 6.3 back in 8th grade... haha power is one of the things i can deal with... im worse at the shots that require finesse... oh well...i really like babolat... but i tried this new wilson racket a couple days ago, i forget the name, but its lime green and really cool, but thats its power racket i liked it, its not right for my game, but definitely a racket i would suggest if you need power. heres a link, i think this is the one.

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/products/p ... 1890941169
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

since your a power hitter when you demo'd the racquet did the ball totally fly???
~Siobhan
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

well... i wouldnt say it [i]flew[/i], but i had to use SOOOOOOO much topspin to control it. it was hard.
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

top spin is the only thing that saves my butt sometimes in a match....the wind this season has been killer...how has your team been doing?
~Siobhan