Funniest ASA moment

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i doubt we had the same counselor doing our lectures although it is possible but the last time i went was 1998.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

counselor

Post by zachgroff »

well it is possible... was he black, crazy, and have a wild sense of humor?
i think hes been there a while...
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually no the counselor who did our lecture was white. I think the peecicle story is one that all the counselors probably learn about so its probably told every year during that lecture.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Sounds like your talking about Alexis... He did all kinds of lectures late last year..
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i know mine wasn't Alexis but then again i doubt any of my counselors from 98 are still there.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

counselor

Post by zachgroff »

it wasn't alexis but i can't remember what his name was but when i was there there were three lecturers... Melissa who did all the et stuff, someone else who i didn't remember but not very entertaining, and oh yeah.. his name was Jay... (ill check with the others) but i think his name was jay...
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Although i dont remember the name of any of our lecturers i do remember the seemed to dread every time my team showed up at a lecture. We goofed around so much all the time and always had such a good time whatever we did the counselors gronaed when we came into the room. Their was only one lecturer we didnt goof around with and that was the space medicine lecture done by the camp nurse she was just frightning and didnt seem like someone you wanted to mess with.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

yeah

Post by zachgroff »

yeah... there were a few of us from our team that i think even the counselors groaned when the handover took place and i think they dropped the space medicine lecture... i think they've dropped a lot since the camp first opened... someone said the camp used to be a three week program with junior and regular spacecamp only... i don't know
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Yeah...I don't know about that. The very first Space Camp was just a week long...and I don't know that they ever expanded it to run longer...

...Space Academy Level II (now ASA) ran for 10 days at one point though!
sts205cdr
Camper
Camper

Post by sts205cdr »

[post deleted]
Last edited by sts205cdr on Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

simms

Post by zachgroff »

how about a 12 hour misson again.. my counselors told me that they used to have them with the 10 day programs... then you could have all the fun but still make it seem a bit more realistic without every problem ontop of one another but actually do something... like how about docking the shuttle to the station and then going to fix the satelite?
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

heh...12 hour missions?! forget it! I want them to bring back the 24 hour missions!
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

Post by zachgroff »

:o when did they have 24 hour simms (or did they...) sounds great to me though.. although i think they may need to remove a few 'bulkheads' for sleeping space or we could just wear suits made of velcro and velcro ourselves to the ceiling and walls... :lol:
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

They use to have 24 hour missions at certain times of the year at the Space Acdemy Level 2 program. From what i heard it kind of came and went over the years several times. I talked to someone who went to academy level 2 and had a 24 hour mission. She said they would rotate through all 3 areas atleast twice and would be given 4 hours or so to go sleep in the hab during the mission. Also i read they plan to bring them back again when the renovations are done. They are actually going to have a habiytat module for the new space station complex where youll beable to get some sleep.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

:lol: That's kinda sweet! :lol: I hope you're right, but by then I'd be off to college. :cry: Darn it! :cry:
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i also think that was going tobe one of the last aditions made to the training center. The renovation i believe is supose to take 3 years total so its still a couple of years away atleast. Hopefully the adult ASA will have 24 hour missions also.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

renovations

Post by zachgroff »

I don't know how much you all have heard of the renovations so far but in i believe november, Enterprise got renovated again... they now have i think plasma screens for the monitors in the flight deck, a new computer system in mocr, and a new mocr on the first floor before you get to security. They also took apart Columbia their first simulator ironically enough :( but that was in an effort to prepare for the continued floor renovations.... The only downside to the architecture of the building is that theres no easy way to increase the floor space... the cafes on one side, museum ontheother, uat/rocket park on the other... they could only go the other direction but that would stick out in the middle of the building then... from the drawlings that i got to see it looks like the entire floors going to be connected by one large spacestation... the only thing is it looks like its going to be very crowded...

I wonder if a group went, if the group could build their own sceduale for what they wanted to do... you know, their own curriculum?
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the floor will be crowded no doubt about that but from what i can tell only the misions and mission practices will be done there now so i dont think it will be a real problem. They at one time had plans to build a wholenew training center actually a building just to house space camp alone as part of a major renovation to the whole space and rocket center but alot of that had to be scaled down due to the budget problems they had.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
zachgroff
Camper
Camper

budget

Post by zachgroff »

All the terrorist threats, etc. im sure isn't helping the budget... the sale i got for going last year was their effort to try and get kids to start coming again.... but thier website really isn't that attractive to just pull me in and want to start paying either... maybe if they had more pictures or some of the vr that vincent had maybe then more people would be interested... their website just doesn't give that much of a feel for whats their... Their program guide as well... 2000- they used to have pictures of everything... now its black and white and barely any pictuers... (of course i maybe a little prejudice.. in the 2000 program guide in the picture of sleeping accomidations for space camp florida, the kid with the blue shoes and hat siting tying his shoes was me) but i think they need a better advertising plan... like contacting the dept. of education in the different states... theres a school in ohio that goes every year sponsored by community business...
Zach Groff
ASA ~ August 17-23 2002
SC ~ 1997 ~ Florida
SC ~ 1996 ~ Alabama
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

well, the site is focused more towards parents than those attending the camps...as they're, for the most part, the ones paying the bills.

This site on the other hand, is for the campers!