Everyone's Favorite...Ice Breakers!

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

My team saw my lanyard I guess, and the first thing any of them said to me wasn't hi or anything it was can i see your lanyard. So at my first encounter with my team, my lanyard was getting passed around the table during lunch.
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That would be a good conversation starter.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

It really was, they asked me all sorts of questions about it and why I got the pins that I did.
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

to benji, who played two truths and a lie - did you play that with Becky Delta? Cuz during the why space thing, we finished early, and played two truths and a lie... Though the first day, we told embarassing stories...
Everyone on my team this year, though, came with at least one other person (or asked to be on the same team as at least one other person), so pretty much everyone knew someone... We had a couple cousins even... And everyone except for like, three people, had been to some program before...
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I was with 'Drea when we did embarrasing stories and two truths. I did them in the opposite order, becuase my story would have given away a truth. I told you that story, though.
Ad astra per aspera.
Traveler
Counselor
Counselor

Monkeys on fake Snickers

Post by Traveler »

lol I never played ice breakers at camp, although camp for me was a little bit unique. If, ok, when (thinking positive), I am a counselor I think it would be fun to play Gag the Napkin (I'd play Spew, but I think the administration would frown on my bringing Alka-Selzer and 7-up onto campus :D). Of course one can only play GtN if there are big enough napkins to make it a challenge...hmm wonder if there's a Sams Club nearby camp lol
---Jerry---
I can die a happy man if I meet 3 other people who wear pocket protectors.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Your a very strange and unique speciman! LOL I guess you would think i would have figured that out after knowing you for like 3 years lol.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Traveler
Counselor
Counselor

line

Post by Traveler »

:D hey now, nothing weird about Gag the Napkin...Spew takes some getting used too, especially the first time one tastes alka selzer but still, great fun. Fugative is a great ice breaker but somehow getting campers into cars and letting others climb through ppl's backyards...that could be an insurance risk..he he he
---Jerry---
I can die a happy man if I meet 3 other people who wear pocket protectors.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Ice Breakers

Post by SpaceCanada »

Both times I visited Space Camp ASA we had ice breakers the first night. I had the same evening counsellor both times, Jeremy, so some of the games we played were the same both times:

1. Post Office - Everyone has their chairs in a circle facing the centre with one person in the centre. THe person in the centre says "I have post for..." and then says something about themselves. (Example: I have post for everyone who fell asleep on the airplane coming to camp.) Everyone who also did this would have to get up, switch seats, but not to a seat adjacent to their own. The person who does not find a seat then became the postmaster and the game continued until everyone was pretty much laughing too hard to say anything, yet alone play a game!

2. Truth-truth-lie - This was already explained once by Benji, but it was rather crazy because we had some very interesting people in my groups. Who would have thought one of my fellow campers would have a metal plate in his head?!? We were certain that was a lie... but sure enough he did! I'd hate to go through metal detectors with that!

We played a few others, but my second time at camp we were rather close-knit right from the start. With a small group we all meshed together very fast and it was very clear at the end of camp how close we became because there were a lot of tears and long goodbyes. (and Space Dots...)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

We just had to tell our names, where we're from, and what we do for work. Someone actually had a similar job to mine, so we were actually discussing work...kinda scary when you're on vacation :o
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

Well for the past two years now i ended up on a plane with two or three kids who were going to camp nad ended up in the same group as me. So when I get off the plane and we wait to leave on the bus i usually just ask everyone if they want to play BS. BS is a great ice breaker. The KING of all icebreakers lol.
When we got to camp bubbles [grr] made us tell an embarassing story and threatened that if we didnt she'd give us a callsign off the infamous ready-made callsign list [shudders]. She threeatended to call me...Kooblah....but b4 that we sat on the grass in front of the shuttle and just said our names and where we're from. It's hard on the first day if you're shy and not that outgoing. You need to make friends. No one will do it for you. That's something every person from any camp will tell you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Egyptian War is another really good one. We played that a lot.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

How does one play Egyptian War?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Also goes by the name of Egyptian Rat Screw. We played it all the time. The goal is to get all the cards. Aces are 4, Kings are 3, Queens are 2, and Jacks are 1, if that rings any bells. Number cards are nothing.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yes, indeed... also known as ERS... never heard it called Egyptian War before, though... I'm used to the full Egyptian Rat Screw (as just said), myself... I need to remember to bring cards this time around!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

My team tried so hard to teach me that game in 2002 and i could never slap in like ever... Finally, started playing with friends when i got home and now i'm quite good at it though i hit kinda hard... :lol:
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

My mom and I tried playing on the plane coming back from Alabama, the people in front of us gave some pretty bad looks, so we stopped. :lol:
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I don't remember any that I had to do at Space Camp but I played the name and one things about your self starting with the first letter of your name and name other people and the thing about them when I moved into the my dorm at FIT. It really stinked because there was about thirty of us and it was a real to remember every name and thing.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
1MileCrash
Camper
Camper

Post by 1MileCrash »

i remember we played a game that the counselor called "mafia". you had one person that was the killer and one person that was the cop. the killer took turns killing three people while everyone else had their eyes closed by pointing at them and the counselor tapped them on the head. the mafia closed their eyes and the officer got to take a look around and see who was dead. everyone opened their eyes and the cop had something like 3 guesses as to who the killer was. if the killer killed the cop they won. if the cop caught the killer they won.

it was something like that anyway. it was a lot of fun. i know that on the nite before we were to leave we got our counselor to let us play it until like 11pm in the commons area on the 1st floor.
Space Camp - July 1997, Titusville, FL, Team Orion
Space Academy - July 1998, Huntsville, AL, Team BDM
Advanced Space Academy - July 1999, Huntsville, AL, Team Gagarin
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I played that at rez my first year after a 4am fire (yes, there was actually a fire on the 10th floor kitchen, I lived on the 4th floor). Since it was pointless to go back to sleep, even though we all had finals the next morning, we played mafia. But we used cards to decide who was who. And we had a doctor who could save the victim. They would point to a person and if that happened to be the person the mafia had chosen to kill, they would be saved. (I actually managed to save 2 people).
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009