Mars

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I remember when i went to space camp in 91 we did a mas mission. I believe it was the first year they did that and it was improved alot over the years but it was still kind of cool.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the VR Mars rovers came much later and i be;lieve those were only used by ASA atleast that was the case when i went to ASA in 98. In 91 i'm not even sure what that room was used for. By 93 it was a room wear SA teams constructed a sattelite model. The mars mission i was referring to was one done by space camp only at the time. It had a motion based simulator that the whole team of 12 could fit in. That showed you the film of your flight to mars then when you exited you had diffrent task to so on what was suppose to be a simulated mars surface. Really you were underan orange colored inflatable dome with alot of sand and rocks on the ground. Some of the team collected and identified rock samples infact thats what i did, others checked for radiation actually it was a metal detector, another part of the team created and planted a flag, and others used a computer to download viking probe data from one of the probesi think we were actually in 6 groups of 2 atleast 2 of which were doing the rock sample gathering. Then after an hour or so you got back in the motion simulator anf came home. Ok it was kinf of cheesey but we were all 4th and 5th graders it didnt have to be realistic we just had a good time. I know later they increased the size of the dome and landscaoe area, i think it was even inside the training center at one point. I'm guessing its probab;y similar to what they are doing with the new deep space missions they do at camp now. Some of you may have seen the motion based simulator on the floor before it sat over to one side in front of Enterprise. And on the side it said Space Camp Mars Explorer.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

sts205cdr wrote:Interestingly, when I was at Camp in '99 we had a lecture from Dr. George von Tiesenhausen, one of the von Braun germans.
Dr. von T is very interesting. Did he tell you that Mars was your planet? He stressed that when he lectured us.

Did anyone fall asleep in his lecture? This, apparently, is a big no-no if you get caught. Fortunatley, no one in our group did (get caught, I mean. Even I couldn't help dozing off. The room was warm and toasty and his German accent just lulls you to sleep).
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The only time i ever heard him lecture was in 93 at space academy and back then he was doing an astronomy lecture.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

We had to leave right after he finished to get someplace, but I wish we could have talked more. I actually have his e-mail address (I guess you really couldn't get that in '93). Maybe I'll drop him a line. It's [email protected]. ([url]mailto:[email protected][/url])
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thanks we didnt really get a chance to talk to him afterwards its been such a long time i'm kind of suprised he still does lectures.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

He was looking pretty old in 93.
As far as guest lecturers hes the only one i ever had during camp but had Akan Bean speak at my camp graduation in 91 and Edward Buckbee who at the time was the director of the space and rocket center spoke at my graduation in 93.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008