Space Camp Brochures

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Space Camp Brochures

Post by Boomerang »

I was just thinking back to some of my first space camp brochures and some of the old training center pictures. Vince since you have some of the ol brochures it would be great if you could scan some of the inside stuff like you did the covers. I remember up till the year i went for the first time the brochures actually gave you a day by day list of activites. However because every team was diffrent it was never acurate. I remember they always listed the shuttle mission on Friday in 4 years of going i never had a mission on Friday except a 1 hour mission at asa but thats because we were their on an off week. They also gave names for each day like microgravity day which they said youd would do the 5Df's and the 1/6th and other related simulators. Also some of the pictures inside were a bit out of date in most of them. Heck some of the pictures in newer brochures i remember seeing many years ago in older ones. I remember one particualr picture of the training center that was in the 91 brochure which was the first year i went but was atleast a year out of date. It showed essentially the training center we know and love ofcourse Intrepid wqsnt their yet and wouldnt be for many years. Endeavour wasnt their, And columbia had what appeared to be a small cargo bay. It had bulk head on one side that went back a ways it looked like the side of the cargo bay and at the back it had the same thing space camp still uses for the MS's to work on during colmbia missions. Oh and ofcourse the space station back behind discovery only had a lab module if i remember right and the other station lab wasnt their at all. Vince if you could even find that in one of the old brochures and put it on the picture page it would be a good comparrison and id love to see a picture of the old training center as seen in the movie. I dont know if your brochures go back that far or not.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Yes, I have a brochure or two that has a picture of the old training center!

Scans of the brocures will be up eventually...they're just such a pain to scan and it's very time-consuming...I just haven't had the will to do it!
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I've also got some real old stuff that I'll be posting online sometime within the next month or so. Some old Space Camp News newsletters from 1989, and some old post cards and things.

I'd really love to get my hands on (or if not, scans of) the 1982-1987 program guides. I'm always fascinated by how the program changes from year to year.

Richasi
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well unfortunately i didnt save hardly any of my brochures over the years. I guess i just never saw a use for them much beyond the year that i got it because i always got a new one each year. Unfortunately i havent even got the recent ones because they dont send them to me automaticly any more now you have to request it every year and i just havent the last 2 years. I remember getting my first brochure in 89 and recognise most of the brochures that you have covers for in the archives. Something else i often wondered over the years is if that picture with 2 campers inside the flight deck of one of the orbiters is Enterprise or Atlantis? It looks to be more complete than Entewrprise is because it seems to have alot of stuff thats painted on in Enterprise. Having been insoide atlantis once Atlantis always seemed to be verry acurate infact they even filmed space camp the movies space scenes inside of it. does anyone know?
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I would assume the picture you speak of is Atlantis. That shot has been on or in many of the application guides from as far back as I can remember. Even the kid on the 1991 guide cover is on the web site. :)

Yes, I've never been in the Atlantis simulator but I always wanted to because SpaceCamp was filmed with it. I unfortunately got Commander of the Discovery when I went to Academy, instead of Atlantis but oh well :)

Richasi
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i figured it was probably atlantis because the picture looks livke a verry acurate cockpit and having seen enterprise and atlantis'cockpit Atlantis always seemed more complete. I didnt actually get to use the Atlantis sim infact no part of our team did. We used Endeavour and Discovery but on the last day of camp our counselor let us go inside atlantis and look around. One thing i noticed in that picture is it was so complete it even had the PEAP's. Which indicates the picture was taken pre return to space following the challenger accident or that they left them in for a while still afterwards. The PEAP's or (Personal Egress Air Packs) became unnessecary following the return to space when the crew's started wearing launch and entry pressure suits instead of the old flight suits. By the time i saw in atlantis the PEAPs were gone that was in 1993.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Confirmation that it *IS* the Atlantis. If I bothered to read the fine print on my 1989 application guide, it says the "Cover is George Miller and Debbie Edwards in Atlantis flight deck."

There ya have it folks.

:)

Richasi
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

So now we know that was atlantis so my question is. Why since atlantis is used by space academy is it so much more complete looking than Enterprise thats used by ASA?
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

While the Atlantis may look more complete, I do believe (though I could be incorrect) it is not as sophisticated and/or fewer things in it are actually connected to anything!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well their is verry little connected to anything in Enterprise either. Only the keyboard on enterprise really does anything and maybe some of the payload controls. Most of the stuff is just switches. Malfunction lights are turned off by the counselor when you complete the correct checklist. So really Enterprise and atlantis dont sound much diffrent except atlantis is more complete.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008