Ozzy & Jack's World Tour comes to Space Camp

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Ozzy & Jack's World Tour comes to Space Camp

Post by Hotdog »

Did anyone else watch Ozzy & Jack's World Tour tonight on A&E? It was the episode where they go to Space Camp.

Ozzy is one of my musical heroes, but I must admit, I wasn't prepared for the sight of seeing Ozzy, the Prince of Darkness in a SC flightsuit. A strange visual!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Ozzy & Jack's World Tour comes to Space Camp

Post by majtom7 »

We did. Once again, they showed the celebs riding the MAT, on the 1/6 G chair, and performing an ISS EVA. I get that it's free publicity yet at the same time, camp is so much more than those activities.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I hadn't even heard of it, but I found video at JSC of them actually getting into (I assume) ACES suits on the floor where the FFT once sat.
Here's a preview showing them at SC: https://youtu.be/-snaSsiEivw
majtom7 wrote:Once again, they showed the celebs riding the MAT, on the 1/6 G chair, and performing an ISS EVA. I get that it's free publicity yet at the same time, camp is so much more than those activities.
They want to show the 'gee whiz' stuff you really can't do elsewhere, so I completely understand why they focus on those things.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51 wrote:They want to show the 'gee whiz' stuff you really can't do elsewhere, so I completely understand why they focus on those things.
So do I yet I feel that it gives the wrong impression. As you know, most people who attend camp do not do ISS EVAs. Sometimes, even the sims like 1/6 G chair are unavailable.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Yeah, at no point does the show even try to explain the mission, flight deck, team work, etc. Which I suppose is my main beef with the show. Ozzy and Jack spend the first 45 minutes of the episode screwing off in Birmingham, not even in Huntsville! So Space Camp, despite being Jack's biggest childhood dream, is delegated to only the last 15 minutes of the show. Is that because Jack and Ozzy were only treated to a day camp experience? That would explain why they seemed to have no clue about a shuttle mission or any kind of team activities. Jack and Ozzy just sort of got the VIP tour and happily went about their way at the end of their day.
Last edited by Hotdog on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Samantha Brown's Places To Love showed her doing an EVA, too. They also showed her at the Davidson Center.

LOL This is the ad that popped up on the Samantha Brown's Places To Love Huntsville episode page: https://www.huntsville.org/ Journey Beyond Your Expectations
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I saw the Samantha Brown episode last week also and really enjoyed it. She went to some interesting places and I learned a lot about Huntsville. She seemed very enthusiastic about Space Camp, and Dr. B did a great job talking about Camp and the rocket center.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994