Adult Camp Accomodations

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Adult Camp Accomodations

Post by majtom7 »

Has anyone heard anything new about adult campers staying at the Marriott?
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Adult Camp Accomodations

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about adult campers staying at the Marriott?
You mean officially, as part of the package? That's news to me, but it'd be great if it's true.
I've known several people who stayed at the Marriott the entire time they were at SC, but I've yet to do so.
I was at the week-long 'train with an astronaut' program in 2016 and the HAB1 started to get old after about the 4th day or so. I can cope with almost any living arrangement for a couple of days (based on my military experience), but a week in the HAB? I'd already decided the next time I go (assuming it's a 3-day session), I was going to hit the hotel anyway. It's too much like a throwback to my days in barracks cantonment areas in the Army. I tell people that everyone should experience at least one night in the HAB to get the feel for it, but there's no reason to keep at it if you can afford a night in the Marriott instead.
If not the Marriott, then one of the other hotels just up Governors House Drive is almost as good (though you'll have to drive back and forth). I've stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn and the Extended Stay America the night before a SC in the past and each is okay (though the latter is mostly used by travelling companies). The Marriott, though way more expensive, is clearly the better hotel and of course, it's right there across the fence from the HAB.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51 wrote:You mean officially, as part of the package? That's news to me, but it'd be great if it's true.
Jawohl! When I first heard it, I could understand the reasoning for wanting to separate adults from the kids, especially since apparently there have been incidents. However, I have my doubts based on the cost of the rooms plus the need (and cost) to provide transportation twice a day.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

I called SC and asked regarding staying at the Marriott or any discounts if I decided on doing Adult Academy and didn't want to stay in the hab. I was told for a $200 additional fee you could stay at the Marriott and not in the hab. I did use a specific date as an example which was a 3 day so I do not know what the price difference would be for a 4 day or Adult Advanced Academy. Hope this helps!
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

blachwk wrote:I called SC and asked regarding staying at the Marriott or any discounts if I decided on doing Adult Academy and didn't want to stay in the hab. I was told for a $200 additional fee you could stay at the Marriott and not in the hab. I did use a specific date as an example which was a 3 day so I do not know what the price difference would be for a 4 day or Adult Advanced Academy. Hope this helps!
Thanks for sharing! So two nights for $200. A quick check of the USSRC hotel discounts shows the same "rate" before taxes, etc. Interesting... The sense I got was that USSRC wanted the adults out of the Hab. Maybe not if it's only an option...
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

majtom7 - You were away for our team debrief session last year. I'm not sure how much I can or should make public, but there were comments made about the Hab being overly crowded (both Hab1 and 2 were FULL), and adults wanting more space and privacy. Corporate and adult camps may be housed in the Marriott in the near future, removing the option to stay at the Hab. But, we all know that great ideas may never come to fruition, so I wouldn't put too much hope behind it until it actually happens. Right now, it's currently an add-on option for most/all adult programmes. Transportation back and forth isn't provided, and I couldn't imagine it would be provided in the future either, unless someone had specific mobility needs - it's only a 5 minute walk.

Personally, I don't mind staying in Hab 1, especially with the new non-slamming doors, but I could be part of the minority. Sure, I've had to use my outdoor voice indoors to help the counsellors get unruly kids to behave, but it's pretty rare.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote:- it's only a 5 minute walk
Maybe if you're a triathlete... ;) and it's not raining... and could go through the Hab1 door like pre 9/11...
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote: there were comments made about the Hab being overly crowded (both Hab1 and 2 were FULL), and adults wanting more space and privacy. Corporate and adult camps may be housed in the Marriott in the near future, removing the option to stay at the Hab. But, we all know that great ideas may never come to fruition, so I wouldn't put too much hope behind it until it actually happens.
See what happens when you miss meetings? ;) It may happen if USSRC is so busy that they need to make it happen (which would be a good "problem" for them to have) or it may never happen as it sounds like we had a perfect storm that week.

I say put an adult dorm where the Saturn V was. ;) von Braun's Happy Bottom Riding Club LOL
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

majtom7 wrote:I say put an adult dorm where the Saturn V was. ;) von Braun's Happy Bottom Riding Club LOL
Best suggestion, ever! Too bad their recent funding went to the robotics and new security/coding camps. Even portable (trailer) dorms would be nice - and more economical.

The walk is closer to 15 minutes, you're right, the time flies when speaking with friends on that walk. But, you would have to factor it into your schedule and come prepared for the day so you only have to walk across the parking lot once each way. Plus, many people make the trek over there in the evening anyway, so they're already walking there and back.a
- Jennifer -
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

FYI - Just got back from Space Camp Summerfest and the Marriott has begun renovating the hotel. All of the rooms are being remodeled, and they are putting a Starbucks in where the old Otters was. This should all be done by this time next year (50th anniversary of Apollo 11). I'm told each room will have a "space" theme.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:FYI - Just got back from Space Camp Summerfest and the Marriott has begun renovating the hotel. All of the rooms are being remodeled, and they are putting a Starbucks in where the old Otters was.
Geez, another Starbucks? Yeah, if the Marriott needed one thing, it's was one of those... :roll:
Hotdog wrote:I'm told each room will have a "space" theme.
Now that's a good idea. That said, one time I checked in there, I was carrying my NASA-patched helmet bag and someone asked what the deal was there. When I explained, she said she had no idea the hotel was adjacent to any NASA facility. I could resist asking, "You mean you didn't notice all the rockets as you first pulled up, right behind this building?" 8O
She hadn't. Really.
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote: Even portable (trailer) dorms would be nice - and more economical.
I made that suggestion to them back in 1993 after doing a 24 hour EDM. There was no quiet place for anyone to grab a nap if they had downtime the first 2 shifts. Some trailers out in the back seemed like a simple and like you said, economical, improvement.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Starbucks inside a Marriott seems to be a normal thing. The Marriott resort that hosts SPACEFEST in Tucson also has a Starbucks. That being said, I can tell you there are not too many people that are happy about this. Otters has long been the unofficial Space Camp watering hole of legend, and wiping it out of existence would be the same as wiping out the Happy Bottom Riding Club from Edwards. This is a very sad time. A great piece of our history is being removed. :(
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:Starbucks inside a Marriott seems to be a normal thing. The Marriott resort that hosts SPACEFEST in Tucson also has a Starbucks. That being said, I can tell you there are not too many people that are happy about this. Otters has long been the unofficial Space Camp watering hole of legend, and wiping it out of existence would be the same as wiping out the Happy Bottom Riding Club from Edwards. This is a very sad time. A great piece of our history is being removed. :(
Otters was an empty shell the last time I was there in 2016, so I won't be quite as crushed now as I was to see the bar in a totally different spot as I'd remembered it.
At least I made to Otter's on my first two trips to SC.
I live somewhat close to where Starbucks was founded, and they're everywhere here. I won't be walking into there the next time I find myself there. I swear it feels like this scene from the Simpson's is coming true:
https://youtu.be/vIs4xqRcIdQ
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Are the Hab room doors steel or something else?
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

majtom7 wrote:Are the Hab room doors steel or something else?
The older style doors in Hab1 are plastic. The one on our room last year was wood. I'm not sure what material the newest set of doors are made of, since they renovated the doors after we were there last. Might be a good question for Vincent, Benji, Steve, or someone more local to camp.

Some of the doors in Hab2 are steel, but most are the older plastic type. I have no idea how those doors held up better than the ones in Hab1, unless they kept replacing them.
- Jennifer -
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote:The older style doors in Hab1 are plastic. The one on our room last year was wood. I'm not sure what material the newest set of doors are made of, since they renovated the doors after we were there last. Might be a good question for Vincent, Benji, Steve, or someone more local to camp.

Some of the doors in Hab2 are steel, but most are the older plastic type. I have no idea how those doors held up better than the ones in Hab1, unless they kept replacing them.
I remember the old plastic covered doors. The Hab2 doors may have held up better to less usage.