Patch Pioneer / May 2017 ASA

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Patch Pioneer / May 2017 ASA

Post by Feuerfresser »

A crewmate of my Pioneer Team of May 2017 (Adult Space Academy) created attached Patch. Really nice work :-)
Attachments
Team Pioneer.jpg
Team Pioneer.jpg (453.06 KiB) Viewed 9695 times
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Patch Pioneer / May 2017 ASA

Post by p51 »

Well-rendered, no question.
But the motto and bee image, you'd have to have been there to understand it, no doubt.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Yes it is - more or less - an "Insider - Patch" :D

During our Orion mission to Mars I was part of the Mission Control team.
The crew trainer gave us a lot of incidents like a gas leak, a fire and some medical emergencies.
That was really funny. For example: a crew trainer gave me a "stage direction" that I feel sick. After that she threw some slips of paper to the floor with the words "Vomet" on it.
Another medical emergency was a bee sting - and we had to care with our medical kit. This is how the bee comes into the patch.

In mission control, so many people became sick, it was a little excessively, if you ask me.
They gave me another stage direction which said: "Ignore all sick people" (or something like that). So, my words to one of the mission control guys, who had another "serious" emergency was: "Die like a man". That caused a burst of laughter in the evening at the merriott hotel bar :-)
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I was stung by a bee once in the middle of the night during a 24 hour EDM. I was the sole person on the flight deck. The counselor did a wonderful job. She made up a balloon bee with the appropriate striping.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I am glad that they are doing more anomalies in Mission Control on the Adult program these days. When I was there in 2015 we had a hurricane hit Mission Control and we all had to evacuate. When we returned the lights were out and one of us walked into a downed power line and was killed. He had to go out and sing to a group of people by Pathfinder before he could come back and be alive again. We also had some medical anomalies. Our flight director collapsed from a heart attack and since I was the Flight Surgeon, I had to revive him with CPR and candy pills. On the longer missions it definitely gives Mission Control more of a challenge and makes it much livelier.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Frankly, the adult program anomalies I experienced last year were down right silly. I got the feeling we were there to entertain the trainers.
It got tiring really fast on the LDM that year.
In the miliyary, I never trained people like that. If it couldn't happen in real life, its not training.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
carton
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by carton »

Love that patch, Feuerfresser! It looks far better than most I've seen! Funny story about the "die like a man" part- I might have to start using that phrase :wink:
SC 2012
SC 2014
SA 2015
SA 2016 Io
SA 2017 Aerojet Rocketdyne
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The anomalies these days are ridiculous. It's one of the reasons I have not gone back as an adult. In the 80s and early 90s, the anomalies during the missions were reasonable and realistic. Perhaps with so many ADHD kids these days, there's a need to keep them more engaged.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Hotdog wrote:The anomalies these days are ridiculous. It's one of the reasons I have not gone back as an adult. In the 80s and early 90s, the anomalies during the missions were reasonable and realistic. Perhaps with so many ADHD kids these days, there's a need to keep them more engaged.
I don't know about the anomalies in the 80's and 90's being more realistic. I went as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's. We had the gas leak and hurricane in mission control. In the orbiter we had people break legs because they got up from their seats too early, I got stung by a bee. In station we had people with "space sickness" and such. Most of the medical anomalies, in my opinion, are kinda silly. They can break things up but I'd rather deal with the more realistic anomalies.
Last time I was at adult ASA (first time they did the Train With an Astronaut) we didn't have any of those and I found it more realistic and enjoyable.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

We had a "space sickness" case on a 24 hour EDM. He went to the Marriott during his down time and promptly passed out on station.

IMHO, medical anomalies are cheap and easy to throw at you. (BTW, the ISS medical checklist is over 1,000 pages long.) Problems with the vehicles require knowledge of the systems which people attending usually lack.

When I first went to adult camp in 1991, there was a set group of possible anomalies. MOCR had half the solutions; the orbiter the other half. The counselors rated us on how fast we recognized the anomalies and how fast we solved them, among other things. (I still have the sheets.)
Last edited by majtom7 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

One of the things that always bugged me about the medical anomalies was that they weren't always really accurate.

For example, on an EDM the first time I went to adult ASA we had a guy who was given narcolepsy and kept falling asleep. The "correct" solution to that anomaly was to give him a caffeinated soda. However, due to having a friend who actually has narcolepsy, I knew that was the exact wrong thing to do. Those with narcolepsy generally respond poorly to caffeine and it makes them MORE sleepy. The real solution should have been to give him ritalin (or a similar ADHD medication). But that wasn't a bottle of Skittles marked ritalin and it took me over five minutes to convince the counselor why my solution was actually the correct one.
Similarly, at the start of the gas leak in MOCR the first person to have symptoms was not the smallest person who was also nearest the leak (and had asthma in real life, which she had mentioned because she couldn't scuba) but the big guy on the far end of the room. No one was told that they "smelled gas", which would have been a dead giveaway (and the whole reason that natural gas smells the way it does) and what would have happened in real life. But in the anomaly just seemingly randomly passed out. That's not what would have happened in a real world gas leak. And, again, I know because I have first hand knowledge of that situation happening for real in the real world.
I think I'd be more okay with the medical anomalies if they were more real world accurate. But, since they never were, I always saw them as more of a distraction rather than part of the challenge of the mission to be figured out.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I agree on the medical anomalies being unrealistic and the counselors decided whether you did the right thing or not. When I was sending instructions for a transfusion to the orbiter I looked up the blood type and specifically told them which one to use. The counselor still said that I gave him bad blood and that he died from it. But it is also good to have some anomalies and not do a long EDM in MOCR just sitting there with nothing out of the ordinary. I wasn't in there for the long mission in 2015 Advanced Academy but a couple of people had to go and test a procedure in the Scuba Tank, which was a nice touch.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Conan wrote:I wasn't in there for the long mission in 2015 Advanced Academy but a couple of people had to go and test a procedure in the Scuba Tank, which was a nice touch.
I have mixed feelings about this. Sounds cool and more realistic yet it also automatically excludes anyone unable to SCUBA for whatever reason...
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

majtom7 wrote:
Conan wrote:I wasn't in there for the long mission in 2015 Advanced Academy but a couple of people had to go and test a procedure in the Scuba Tank, which was a nice touch.
I have mixed feelings about this. Sounds cool and more realistic yet it also automatically excludes anyone unable to SCUBA for whatever reason...
It was pretty cool. I liked that it tied in the scuba training we had done earlier in the week to something in the actual mission. The guy who scubaed (dove? Dived? got wet) during the EDM and the person who was topside were figuring out the sequence for something needed to fix an anomaly either on the station or shuttle. I don't remember exactly what. It did automatically exclude anyone who couldn't scuba. But it also excluded anyone who was on the shuttle, anyone who was on the station and anyone who was essential in mission control (Flight Director and Capcom). And it should have excluded anyone who was flying home the next day...but that was everyone and our flights were all at roughly the same time. So they let the guy who dove (I believe it was Patrick) assume the risk.
I was okay with being excluded as flight for EDM. Just like not everyone got to land the shuttle or do an EVA or eat lunch with our astronaut trainers Hoot and Bob (major perk of being in MOCR was getting to chat with them over lunch with everyone else suffered through poorly cooked microwave meals on the station). We all were part of a team and had a job to do and were happy to contribute in our positions.

When I did adult ASA previously, the scuba instructors picked one person and one backup who would do the dive during EDM. I was lucky enough to be picked and got to do a helmet dive. That was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. But it wasn't well tied into the rest of the EDM (I wasn't figuring anything out, just assembling something at the bottom of the tank), meant that I had to have a specific role in MOCR and it took me out of the flow of what was going on during the mission.
And I never was really sure why I was picked. The dive master did say I did well (that was the first time I ever dove) and that he had a thing for red heads.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

gt0163c wrote: It did automatically exclude anyone who couldn't scuba. But it also excluded anyone who was on the shuttle, anyone who was on the station and anyone who was essential in mission control (Flight Director and Capcom). And it should have excluded anyone who was flying home the next day...but that was everyone and our flights were all at roughly the same time. So they let the guy who dove (I believe it was Patrick) assume the risk.
I suppose that it works both ways for mission position selection. It all depends on what you like to do. It is incentive to get scuba qualified(? unsure if that's the right term).