The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Hello,

I've seen, that Adult Space Academy is available to book, now.
I'm just wondering, why they named some ASA with a number behind. Do you know, why?

F.Ex.: Adult Space Academy 4 10/28/2016 - 10/30/2016
Adult Space Academy 34
Adult Space Academy 49....
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
street
Counselor
Counselor

Re: 2017

Post by street »

Those are the week numbers. USSRC runs on the fiscal calendar (the same used by government and military), with the new year beginning the week of 1 October.
Living the dream
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Happy New Year's weekend everyone! Who here is planning on attending camp in 2017?

We have other plans this year and hope to return to camp soon. In the meantime, I look forward to all of your stories and photos.

Check in with your session dates and type of camp.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
NASAgeek
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by NASAgeek »

I'm going to adult space academy on April 14-17. And hoping to go to the train with a astronaut session when it's announced if it works out.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Not me. My wife made it very clear that going to "Hoot Camp II" in October would mean I'm not going back in 2017...
:cry:
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

I'll be there on May 26th
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I recently ordered and received Dr. Rhea Seddon's book, Go For Orbit. (ordered Mon night, had it Fri)

Made me wonder.... Has USSRC ever thought about bringing in someone like Dr. Seddon for AASA? Clearly, I have no idea of the logistics yet might a woman astro draw more people?
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

But then who would look after their awesome Australian Shepherds if both of them were at camp for a week? I say they bring Hoot and Dr. Seddon, plus their pups. Aussies are super smart; they could probably flick switches or hold the less popular MOCR positions. 8O

On a more serious note, a female astronaut would be inspiring too. Though any astronaut that would accept such an assignment gets my thumbs up.
- Jennifer -
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

At the Alumni Festival AKA Space Camp Summerfest 2015, we got to fly simulated missions with Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger. She is a great friend of Space Camp and an awesome, down-to-earth person. She would be a perfect female astro for AASA since she is also a Space Camp Hall Of Famer. I think she still lives in the Seattle area, so it might be harder to get her than Hoot/Rhea since they are nearby in Nashville.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I'd love to see Hoot and Dr. Seddon, but I got the feeling they do stuff like this individually, at least as trainers for Space Camp.
Does she even shown up there much? Is SC more Hoot's thing than hers?
Hotdog wrote:At the Alumni Festival AKA Space Camp Summerfest 2015, we got to fly simulated missions with Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger. She is a great friend of Space Camp and an awesome, down-to-earth person. She would be a perfect female astro for AASA since she is also a Space Camp Hall Of Famer. I think she still lives in the Seattle area, so it might be harder to get her than Hoot/Rhea since they are nearby in Nashville.
I got to meet Dottie a while back and she was one of the nicest former a astronauts I've ever met.
Skidmark

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I have seen Dr. Seddon in photos from a few USSRC events, but rarely as a featured guest or speaker.
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:I have seen Dr. Seddon in photos from a few USSRC events, but rarely as a featured guest or speaker.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
Dottie, though, I bet she'd make a great person for this, and who better than someone who went through SC herself as a kid!
I got to talk to her at the museum in Seattle, standing right next to the FFT that used to be at JSC:
And I was smart enough to bring some stuff for her to sign:
Skidmark

airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Guys,

After a much too long span of time, I will be making a quick stop by Huntsville this summer. Unfortunately, it is the week before summerfest, so I will miss the big party. More than likely sometime during July 6th - 9th. Anyone is town that week? I would love to catch up with the ole gang! Plus now that I am well beyond 30, my memory is fried and I'd love to hang out with someone that remembers everything since my first trip in the early 90's.

I know I have a lot to look forward to since the last time I was at the Sprocket. I'm looking forward to seeing the STA (my investment hard at work), the A-12 on a stick (I liked it in the turn-around at the old front entrance better), going to miss seeing the gone-but-not-forgotten Shuttle-Centaur, I won't be walking through the red gate near Hab1 with the classic Space Camp logo on it, and finally getting to go back on the Marshall tour (I almost made it back opening week, many years ago).

This will be my daughter's first time and my son's second. Heck he is old enough where he could do SC soon!

Hey did they ever put the moon walk simulators back between the Atlas rocket and the S-V interstages, where the kiddy play ground was? I remember hearing rumblings about that in years past. As usual, my burned out brain can't remember what they were called, even though I know we had a conversation here back when I heard about it.

FYI, if you haven't been to the STA at Houston, you need to take a trip! I was around when it flew Discovery for the last time and stopped in Houston, and we were still living there when the STA and the old Explorer on top was opened up to the public. Truly a unique piece of equipment and they did a outstanding job making all the parts fully assessable to everyone.

Anyway, looking forward to catching up on everything.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Welcome back, Kale!

I doubt I'll be able to meet you the week before Summerfest, as I'll be getting ready for the big event during that time. Too bad ya can't put your trip off a week, you sure are missing a great event!

The A-12 isn't quite on the stick just yet. They're just now getting it stripped down, cleaned up and ready for paint. So it's still sitting there in the ol' turn around.

There's a lot of stuff to see that's been added the past few years though, like some new sims and exhibits in the Davidson Center, and an ISS exhibit over the training center you can walk through. The Spacewalker ride hasn't been brought back yet, but last I heard it was still a Go.

Try and do the Marshall tour on the 6th or 7th, its usually better during the week. There's fewer stops on the weekend since some areas are shut down. Thursdays you get the added bonus of the German Biergarten event in the Davidson Center with german food, music and beers under the Saturn V.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

Is anyone doing the advanced space academy November 12-17, 2017?

Just got an email regarding it and curious who is going or thinking of going?
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

How did you get an email for it?

Wish I could go... three vacations in one year tapped out our travel budget.
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:How did you get an email for it?
I think some of us had signed up somehow in the past, as I got that email, too.
SpaceCanada wrote:Wish I could go... three vacations in one year tapped out our travel budget.
Yep, my wife and I are planning on a big trip next year, so I am only using a few days this year to visit my parents, and nothing else.
SC isn't in my plans until about a year from now, at the earliest. Next time I go, I'll probably do the 3 or 4-day version, then go down to Florida to see my parents, and combine the trip that way.
Skidmark

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Surprise! Through a series of truly fantastic events, I was able to join my usual team at Space Camp this week. My attendance was a surprise to all but two people on the team. Despite a few hiccups here and there, it was a WONDERFUL week! The robotics department really outdid themselves, the docent tour still has me speechless, and Area 51 was as fun as ever. I heard the Aviation Challenge events were the best they've ever been too - though I didn't attend. I learnt a lot, had fun, made new memories, and had a great time with some of my dearest friends.

- Jennifer -