Last mission for Atlantis

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Last mission for Atlantis

Post by ApolloXI »

On the Space Camp Facebook page they announced today was Atlantis' last mission. Sad day for many of us older alumni and consolers who served on board her.

This makes me want to head back to the USSRC and see what the rest of the MCC floor looks like.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Last mission for Atlantis

Post by p51 »

Not even the older ones. I know there are plenty of kids who are still kids today who ran missions in the Atlantis.
I was lucky enough to pull a CDR slot in my only mission in that orbiter, in 2013. It was an excellent mission, probably the best one I ever took part in, if I do say so myself.
I never got take part in a mission in the Endeavour, though (and only ever got to see the inside when sneaking into the crew compartment late one night last Fall during "Hoot Camp"...
As for Atlantis, I just wish I could have seen her in her prime when she had a more realistic interior.
Does anyone have any idea what'll happen to the Atlantis now that she's not being used for SC missions anymore?
Good Speed, Atlantis! You served the campers well!
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Is there any other Shuttle Mission planned during Adult Space Academy?
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I would hope she would be restored back to movie quality and put in a future museum shuttle exhibit. But I'm guessing they'll use another one of the orbiter sims for that, maybe Endeavour. From what I hear, parts of Atlantis will be auctioned off at this year's Summerfest.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:From what I hear, parts of Atlantis will be auctioned off at this year's Summerfest.
That is so sad. Wasn't that the original sim at Space Camp?
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The first "real" shuttle sims at Space Camp were Discovery and Columbia. Not sure which one came first. Columbia was the sim for the younger Camp kids and Discovery for the teenage campers. Discovery was the sim being used in the movie where Kevin crashes and burns on their training mission. It had a full payload bay, which was kept even when we got Enterprise with it's full payload bay. Only in recent times was the payload bay for Discovery dismantled to make room for more ISS hardware and the Orion/Altair stuff. Last I heard, Discovery was going to be remodeled into a Dreamchaser space plane sim.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

So I wonder where the storage facility is where the sims go to die? I wish all of the sim equipment could have been saved as-is by some camper that was well endowed. Maybe they go to the bus barn... you know like where they used to like to park things like the actual Sky lab simulator... in the elements!

I was lucky enough to have missions in Columbia (before the rename), Discovery and Enterprise. Never got in Endeavor. We snuck in Atlantis during Alumni Acad... I was lucky enough to ride the RMS in Enterprise, but it would have been neat to go in the MMU arm as well on Discovery.

Good memories...

I would have loved to get an Apollo CM and LM simulator!
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I know a certain someone on my adult team back in 2004 that would probably go all google eyed at the prospect of owning an old shuttle sim. Then again, he has probably crafted himself an exact replica by now... Someone will have to get an update from him next time he's at camp. PK - you know Sims, right?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017