The Mars Generation Movie

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

The Mars Generation Movie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Anyone else excited to see this? It's a Netflix documentary about Space Camp and spaceflight.

Unfortunately, I don't live in America, nor do I have Netflix (and even if I did, I doubt this would be available in Canada). Anyone know how I could watch this? It comes out on 05 May.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: The Mars Generation Movie

Post by p51 »

Wow, I hadn’t even heard of this before just now: http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/30/mars-ge ... n-trailer/
Looks like a good movie, but it’s sort of sad that you simply CANNOT talk about Space Camp at all in the media, ever, and not focus on the kids alone.
How many of us adult program alumni have had to explain to people who doubted us that YES, there really is a Space Camp for adults?
Yeah, I know, that’s not the underlying concept of this documentary, but it never IS mentioned anywhere.
And as for the “Mars generation”, well, I am a member of the generation that after the Apollo program, was expected to walk on Mars. People today often forget that walking on Mars by the 80s or 90s was a real goal before NASA sent the final missions to the Moon.
As part of the SC ambassador program, I talk with highschoolers about SC and hardly any of them think they’ll have peers walking on Mars. Many have openly told me that they don’t expect to see it even in their own lifetimes.
There’s not a lot of dreaming in the generation in high school right now, sadly.
But as for uploading a copy for you, I simply don't have the technical knowledge/ability to do something like that. In other words, I could land a shuttle, but wouldn't be able to design one!
Last edited by p51 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I'm excited for this movie. I'm assuming the USSRC will have some sort of release party, otherwise I may have to host a small gathering myself.

Since it's being distributed directly by Netflix, I wouldn't be surprised if it has fewer geographical restrictions than some of their licensed content. I'll keep an eye out for a copy to send your way in any case, Jennifer.
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

p51 wrote: But as for uploading a copy for you, I simply don't have the technical knowledge/ability to do something like that. In other words, I could land a shuttle, but wouldn't be able to design one!
Whereas I have the skills to design one but God help the crew if I were ever relied on to land it. Haha.

Thanks everyone for offers to find the show for me. Any show featuring Space Camp ranks pretty high on my must-see list.
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I would like to remind everyone of this show, airing on Friday on Netflix in both America and Canada. Space Camp's Facebook page mentioned a virtual premiere party, though I am not sure what all that entails.

I hope the show will be available to the rest of the (non-Netflix) world soon. Enjoy!

I look forward to reading all of your reviews.
- Jennifer -
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I'm going down to watch the premiere tonight in the Davidson Center! *happy dance* :mrgreen:
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Just curious, having little experience with Netflix - if I found someone here with Nexflix could I watch this show a week or two from now? Once it is up on Netflix how long does it stay there, typically?
- Jennifer -
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

As far as I know, Netflix bought full rights to it, so it should be on Netflix forever. Certainly longer than a week or two (or ten), at least!
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The movie was awesome! Great promo for Space Camp and the push for manned Mars flights. Lots of familiar faces in the movie, too! Very well done and a must-see for everyone here!
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I watched it last night too. It was great. I loved watching the Mars mission. I wonder if the equipment actually worked for them. We had lots of problems in 15 when I was on that mission. The beginning did make me think that our missions would benefit from an awesome soundtrack. I also liked that the Public Affairs Officer actually had a spotlight, working microphone and probably a real audience, besides the camera. When I did it, I went out of MOCR and talked to empty space except for once when one counselor came out and asked a question!
Of course, it made me long to go back again.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Thanks to a very generous friend with Netflix, I was able to watch this today! I thought it was well put together and had a good message about the future of spaceflight. Well done, Netflix and Space Camp.
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Vincent wrote:As far as I know, Netflix bought full rights to it, so it should be on Netflix forever.
“Forever” is such a relative concept for Netflix. They pick up and drop stuff faster than a toddler with their toys. It’s the primary reason I still buy DVDs or Blu-Rays of movies I really like. Others say, “but you can just get [insert move or TV show here] on demand anytime you want!” Then I challenge them to do so with random content I choose (none of which is too obscure). Often, the other will come back, dejected, saying, “Wow, there’s a lot of stuff out there you can’t stream, isn’t there?”
Yes, indeed.
As for the movie itself, it was cool during many portions, but it got a little tedious after a while. It’s always great to see all the stuff I’ve used myself, as well as a couple of trainers I have worked with but it got a little tiring after a while. Hey, let’s push for why we need to go to Mars, and though we have some really well-known people into the space exploration field, let’s mostly focus on some random kids who can’t explain the reasons for going to Mars other than how cool it’d be.
I didn’t dislike it, don’t misunderstand, but it got a little tedious after the first hour.
I mostly liked it for the scenes from the training floor.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I'm willing to bet you'll be able to get a DVD copy in the Rocket Center gift shop as soon as they are available! Ownership is always better than relying on a streaming connection.

I'll agree that the Mars-push stuff seemed a bit long-winded. But I didn't mind at the time I saw it. I was happy to get cooled off in a dark, air conditioned room after an extended tour of Marshall in the sweltering heat! The parts showing kids experiencing their week at Camp never got old, and I would have preferred to see more of that. Maybe we'll get some bonus features and outtakes on the DVD.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994