The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Anyone planning on attending this year given that the 4 days are on holiday weekends and the likelihood of anything longer is remote?

PC
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: 2016

Post by p51 »

I badly want to get to SC any way I can in 2016, as I was unable to get there last year.
But my office is going through a massive restructuring right now and we'll be blocked from any time off for at least a couple of months in the spring and early summer. I'm just praying that it won't go further than that.
I am planning a possible NASA-inspired road trip with some friends, ending at Huntsville for whatever session is scheduled at that time.
But I can't put myself down for any timeframe yet.
I still am hoping there'll be a "Hoot Camp" 2016, though as I'm still seething that I missed it last year.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Hang in there, I think they're working on something for October. :D
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:Hang in there, I think they're working on something for October. :D
Sounds good. Any idea when we might be hearing something more concrete?
I have made it clear to my wife that I must get back to SC this year after missing 2015 entirely. So assuming that my wife and employer will allow it, my options hopefully will be:
1. Whatever they come up with for a longer-than-3-day program. I'm praying for a "Hoot Camp II"
2. The road trip concept from Houston to a 3- or 4-day standard SC session that I mentioned in my previous post
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Advanced Space Academy 8/21-26 $1,349

Options:
Marriot (double occupancy) $350
Custom (customized with team members' names) Mission Patch $12
Airport Transportation Round Trip $25
Photo DVD $30
Flight Suit $90
Clothing Package $90
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

There's also word that they're working on another Adult ASA (6-day) train WITH an astronaut session for sometime in October. Should be announced, I think they said, in early-to-mid April.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TahoeMinx »

I've been watching the SC site and emailing them since last year (Thank you, sales staff, for being so patient with me). I've been told there will be an Adult Camp Oct 9-14 and it should be posted on the website next month. Last year the dates wouldn't work for us (already committed to family reunion trip), but this year I'm really hoping to surprise my husband with a first time trip for the two of us. I just discovered this forum, and it's provided a wealth of information - thank you so much. I noticed mention of a Facebook group? What's it called, and is it a closed group - I'd like to join that one as well. And I'd very much like to touch base with anyone else thinking about attending in October. I'm so excited about this, especially since discovering this site, and really want to plunge into the experience wholeheartedly!
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

The group is called "Adult Space Camp Adventure". It is a closed group but I think the admins are pretty good about adding people. Is there word if "Train with an astronaut" will be an option?
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

gt0163c wrote:Is there word if "Train with an astronaut" will be an option?
I got an email from Terri at Space Camp's sales department a couple of weeks ago and confirmed that indeed, "train with an astronaut" will be offered this year, on October 9-14.
8)
So, who's up for this? My wife and employer have both given me the green light (my wife will stay at home as she has no interest in this for herself).
Skidmark

TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TahoeMinx »

p51 wrote:
gt0163c wrote: 8)
So, who's up for this? My wife and employer have both given me the green light (my wife will stay at home as she has no interest in this for herself).
I am definitely up for this! Last I heard, registration will open up in early May. I'm hoping to keep it a surprise from my husband until we actually land at Huntsville Airport. I have questions, though, for any of the ASC veterans out there. I called them up today to find out whether Mike & I would be on the same team and whether we could stay in the hab together. The answer was "yes, if you want to" to part A, and "no" to part B. I was a little bit bummed at first, but hey, maybe it will be fun to us to stay in separate dorms and hopefully have a chance to bond with other team members. Do most adult campers stay at the hab or the Marriott? Also, Mike's a coffee fiend - he doesn't want anything fancy, but he's a bear in the morning until he gets a nice cup of good black java. How's the coffee at the cafeteria?
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I think once they've opened registration and people have signed up for that October session, there should be a thread for those here who are going as I'd assume that session will be filled with space die-hards and people who've been before.
TahoeMinx wrote:I called them up today to find out whether Mike & I would be on the same team and whether we could stay in the hab together. The answer was "yes, if you want to" to part A, and "no" to part B. I was a little bit bummed at first, but hey, maybe it will be fun to us to stay in separate dorms and hopefully have a chance to bond with other team members.
I have been on teams with married couples each time I've gone. While they've always been on the same team (I can't imagine not wanting to be on the same team as your sweetie, otherwise why'd you haul them to camp with you?), I don't recall their bunking arrangements. I suppose they want to cut down upon the kind of things you might expect of happily married couples, if you get the drift. Hopefully, someone will chime in who has experienced this to answer your question. But I seem to recall that married couples didn't bunk together. But don't quote me on that. Yeah, I'd be bummed about that, but my wife would never stay in the HAB, even if she lost her mind and agreed to go to space camp with me (not gonna happen, folks).
TahoeMinx wrote:Do most adult campers stay at the hab or the Marriott?
Most new campers do the HAB. Most veteran campers go to a hotel, especially if it's a short (3 or 4 day) session. I'm a former Army officer and spent a lot of time in barracks conditions so the first couple of years I was fine with it. But the third year, I gotta admit I was envying those who stayed at the Marriott. I'll be looking at how much of a deal I can get for a hotel this year... Most teams regress to the bar at the Marriott on some (if not most) nights there anyway if they're not worn out from training. The 4-day one I went to in 2014, our days were well over 12 hours solid and I was simply worn out by the time we were done most of those nights, but we did have fun socializing over at that bar. I haven't been much of a drinker since my military days (got too many, "been there-done that" stories, like the time I tried to outdrink some British paratroopers. Bad idea.)
TahoeMinx wrote:Also, Mike's a coffee fiend - he doesn't want anything fancy, but he's a bear in the morning until he gets a nice cup of good black java. How's the coffee at the cafeteria?
I'm not a coffee drinker at all (and I live in the Pacific NW, near where Starbucks was started), but I do know they have a pot most mornings. No clue how good it is.
I did note that the Biergarten will be open for Oktoberfest while that week is going on: http://rocketcenter.com/calendar/2016-10 Maybe I'd be lucky enough to encounter some of the old German folks, as I haven't had need of my (highly limited) skills at that language for a while now, which I spent the majority of college taking classes in. Again, I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but I might make an exception in that case if the food and liquids are good.
Skidmark

TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TahoeMinx »

Thanks for the info. And I'm hoping we can stop by Octoberfest, too. Maybe we can practice our German together (my mother is German, but you'd never know it to look at me...). We'll be flying out from Reno - and since you can't seem to get anywhere directly from Reno, who knows - we may be changing planes at an airport near you :)
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I don't drink coffee either, but they always had coffee ready in the mess hall when our team arrived, often before official breakfast time.

I replied in the other thread but couples are not be permitted to bunk together during camp.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

I am really jealous :-) Hope you all will enjoy your next Space Camp Experience. I have to wait such a long time (hope to be there in early 2017).
If you need some help to understand a Biergarten, let me know. We have a lot of them in Germany ;-)
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

TahoeMinx wrote:I called them up today to find out whether Mike & I would be on the same team and whether we could stay in the hab together. The answer was "yes, if you want to" to part A, and "no" to part B. I was a little bit bummed at first, but hey, maybe it will be fun to us to stay in separate dorms and hopefully have a chance to bond with other team members. Do most adult campers stay at the hab or the Marriott? Also, Mike's a coffee fiend - he doesn't want anything fancy, but he's a bear in the morning until he gets a nice cup of good black java. How's the coffee at the cafeteria?
Nope, married couples are not housed together in the Habitat. You might be a married couple, but there is a good chance you will be surrounded by children also attending the camp that weekend. Genders are kept separate, no matter the age. The only exception is for family camp, where the parents and children of a family all share one room.

I don't drink coffee, but I've never heard gripes about the cafeteria stuff.
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:Nope, married couples are not housed together in the Habitat. You might be a married couple, but there is a good chance you will be surrounded by children also attending the camp that weekend. Genders are kept separate, no matter the age.
That makes sense when you put it like that, even though I have very rarely ever been around children campers in the time I've been to the adult programs.
I couldn't even imagine the things that teens going through Space Camp have probably tried there over the years... :roll:
Skidmark

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

p51 wrote: I couldn't even imagine the things that teens going through Space Camp have probably tried there over the years... :roll:
Keeping my mouth shut on that one... :mrgreen: ...and the counselors/crew trainer shenanigans can be quite scandalous as well!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

A couple spontaneously formed during my first Camp. There are many, many rooms in Hab1.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Phoenix PK wrote:A couple spontaneously formed during my first Camp. There are many, many rooms in Hab1.
An inside peek at your autobiography? ;)
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Phoenix PK wrote:A couple spontaneously formed during my first Camp.
I've seen a couple of people who wanted a couple to spontaneously form at camp but didn't...
Skidmark