Hab Windows

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

WesL
Camper
Camper

Hab Windows

Post by WesL »

Noticed something the other day when I went by das sprocket to meet some folks. They have taken the bubble windows out of the RA rooms in Hab1. IF you didn't know they were there to begin with you would have never known. Any idea as to why? I'm guessing leaks maybe?
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Hab Windows

Post by p51 »

Are the bubble windows along the side of the HAB still there? I've looked out of the on most mornings when I was there...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Don't know why they removed them specifically but I remember when I worked there a lot of counselors complained the bubble window rooms had a lot of bug problems probably coming in through the windows. I lived in Hab 2 so I never experienced it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

My daughter lived in one of the 'bubble' rooms for two years. She used duct tape to keep rain, wind, and bugs out of her room, unsuccessfully. As the trainees rooms have been renovated in Hab I, so have the RA rooms. They now have a better heating system, the windows have been replaced, as you notices. The built in bunks have been replaced with more functional furniture, and the rooms have been spruced up so they are much more pleasant. The Hab II RA rooms have been similarly redone as well (except for windows, of course! :D )
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:The built in bunks have been replaced with more functional furniture, and the rooms have been spruced up so they are much more pleasant.
Any photos? I'd love to see how the HAB1 rooms have been changed.
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

My HAB1 room was much the same as before. New mattresses & pillows made for kids, some paint on walls and in lockers, hatches inside lockers screwed down, new flooring in room, door failed to close without a pull or push, wifi access very limited.. We were told that the renovation was still in Phase I.

Still had bubble windows on sides....
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

My room, 301, has a regular style door rather than a cool looking portal one, and it also won't close. This is my first time in hab 1 so I couldn't tell you what's changed in these rooms, but the paint does look like it's fairly new (as in probably done in January when my group wasn't able to stay here). I find the room to be fine, and I love the beds honestly. I prefer a firm mattress, so this has been glorious. I brought my own awesome travel pillow too, knowing the camp pillows are just not designed for old and crusty adults. I think it's the counselor rooms that have really been updated, but I'm not going to poke my head in the one next to me :P Also, for all the times people have said how cold hab 1 is....you jinxed it. It's actually too warm for my tastes, though it does cool down as the night goes on, but right now I'm still too hot to try to sleep.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

LOL HAB1 is either too hot or too cold, usually at the same time given the comments from our group.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

majtom7 wrote:My HAB1 room was much the same as before. New mattresses & pillows made for kids, some paint on walls and in lockers, hatches inside lockers screwed down, new flooring in room, door failed to close without a pull or push, wifi access very limited.. We were told that the renovation was still in Phase I.

Still had bubble windows on sides....
Trust me, those rooms are updated.

The bubble windows are still there, but they are flat, not bubbles.
Living the dream
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

street wrote:Trust me, those rooms are updated.
That's very sad to hear because those rooms are much the same as they were when I first went to camp in 1991.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

majtom7 wrote:
That's very sad to hear because those rooms are much the same as they were when I first went to camp in 1991.
I agree. I just got back from the adult ASA and my room - 306 - was almost unchanged from when I last went. Only changes from when I went as a kid was that one table and bench was replaced with a bunk and the lids on the storage bins in the lockers was screwed down. We still had the portal door. I didn't find the hab as cold as it had been in previous years. I wondered if that was my specific room (I think I've been on the fourth floor every other time) or because it was later in the year/cooler outside.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

gt0163c wrote:
majtom7 wrote:
I agree. I just got back from the adult ASA and my room - 306 - was almost unchanged from when I last went. Only changes from when I went as a kid was that one table and bench was replaced with a bunk and the lids on the storage bins in the lockers was screwed down. We still had the portal door. I didn't find the hab as cold as it had been in previous years. I wondered if that was my specific room (I think I've been on the fourth floor every other time) or because it was later in the year/cooler outside.
I was in 301. There were storage bins in the lockers?? Fascinating. Mine just looked like black holes that I promptly filled with stuff :D I heard some of the Pathfinder moms/teachers/whatever complaining about it being too cold, but I was too warm to sleep at first on most nights. I woke up cold most mornings, but not TOO cold.
Team Challenger
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I just got back and stayed in 303. I had the plain door too with no handle on the outside. The hab was warmer than in the past. I guess the updated heating is working. I didn't need my sweat suit at all. The bins are screwed down, which is good, because they were always a waste of space anyway. Once you loaded up the locker, you couldn't open them. The new mattresses are thin, but when you can put two on one bed, they are comfortable enough. Not enough electrical outlets for everything people need to charge these days, but I bring a power strip with me so my room had no issues with that. Still no change to the loudly slamming doors that echo up through the center of the building. I have suggested foam insulation strips in the past, but that hasn't happened.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Conan wrote:The hab was warmer than in the past. I guess the updated heating is working.
Hmm. One of the things I liked about HAB1 was you weren't roasting at night. I like to sleep when it's cool...
Just curious, has anyone thought about making a few rooms in the HAB into better accommodations? Better bedding, more wall plugs, etc. SC could charge more for the 'enhanced' rooms and if they were truly better, many adults wouldn't automatically want to hit hotels at night...
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Conan wrote:The new mattresses are thin, but when you can put two on one bed, they are comfortable enough.
A fair number of people in our group did that and thought otherwise. I stacked 4, never slept through the night once, and had back pains (and I have no back issues). I'll bring an air mattress the next time I sleep in HAB1.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:
Conan wrote:The new mattresses are thin, but when you can put two on one bed, they are comfortable enough.
A fair number of people in our group did that and thought otherwise.
I stacked two mattresses and two pillows (as only myself and one other guy were in my room on my last SC trip) and did okay. That said, they were still harder than even the GI bunks I slept in in the Army and that's saying a lot.
Skidmark

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

John Ramsey had a focus group after graduation that several of us attended. One of his ideas was booking a group of rooms at the Marriott for the Adult programs and having an upcharge for the upgraded accommodations. Some people liked the idea. Some thought that the extra charge might price them out. Although we did agree that room-sharing would help. I assume that they would have a bus pick people up in the morning, although the walk to the Bush room is not very long, so maybe not. It would give us easy access to the "Library" They also told us that they lost money on the Advanced Adult Academy this year, but since it was a test program, they weren't so worried about it. I suspect that future programs like this will have to be priced higher anyway.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Conan wrote:John Ramsey had a focus group after graduation that several of us attended. One of his ideas was booking a group of rooms at the Marriott for the Adult programs and having an upcharge for the upgraded accommodations. Some people liked the idea. Some thought that the extra charge might price them out. Although we did agree that room-sharing would help. I assume that they would have a bus pick people up in the morning, although the walk to the Bush room is not very long, so maybe not.
I stayed at the Marriott last year while attending a 4 day. No time crunches and I slept much better.... I suspect that the more intense schedule of a week long camp would make it not worth the extra expense.
Conan wrote:They also told us that they lost money on the Advanced Adult Academy this year, but since it was a test program, they weren't so worried about it. I suspect that future programs like this will have to be priced higher anyway.
Wasn't that one of the problems that sank the program in the first place? So the test program was unrealistic in regards to price. That's interesting to hear.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

At our debriefing with management, they said that upgrades to Hab1 were on their way, with replacing the doors high on the list.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I'm bummed to hear that this was a monetary loss for them. I won't pretend to know how much it costs, but we didn't actually have the upgraded food they mentioned, and our 6 day was more than a kids 6 day, so what cost so much more that money was lost?

I actually slept really well in the hab. I prefer a nice firm mattress, so I had no desire to stack two. I slept so well in fact, that I haven't even slept in my own bed since I got back. I've been sleeping on an air mattress that I keep inflated enough that it's quite firm.
Team Challenger