Less than a month away from ASA!

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Less than a month away from ASA!

Post by gt0163c »

street wrote:Also, complete your transportation form! Adults are particularly negligent about that. If you don't request (and pay for) ground transportation from the airport, there won't be anyone there to pick you up!
I admit that I've been negligent on my transportation form. I just went to fill it out and there's no link to the transportation form on my account. Where can I fill out that information?

Also, can you verify check-in time? Adult 6-day is not an option on the CHECK-IN, ORIENTATION AND GRADUATION TIMES page.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

street wrote:Just a reminder: Be sure to complete your health and dietary needs forms! I just did my preliminary report for the ADAA week and 10 folks have not completed them! :(

Also, complete your transportation form! Adults are particularly negligent about that. If you don't request (and pay for) ground transportation from the airport, there won't be anyone there to pick you up!
Can you verify if my SCUBA form was received? I know all my other ones are filled out. My real life name is Jennifer Henley :-)
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Thanks for the reminder. I thought that I had finished my transportation form, but when I checked I had missed one thing so it is completed now. I also did my dietary requirements, which I had forgotten. All done now. :D
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Can you verify if my SCUBA form was received? I know all my other ones are filled out. My real life name is Jennifer Henley :-)
Jennifer, I'll have to get that answer on Monday. Our dive master is out of the office today.
gt0163c wrote:I admit that I've been negligent on my transportation form. I just went to fill it out and there's no link to the transportation form on my account. Where can I fill out that information?

Also, can you verify check-in time? Adult 6-day is not an option on the CHECK-IN, ORIENTATION AND GRADUATION TIMES page.
If I recall, when you log into your account the transportation page is the second page that comes up. I can't give you a link directly into your account, as I can't access it from that end. If you want to email me your transportation information, I'll put it into your account. I'm [email protected]. :)

I'll have to get back with you on check in time. The scheduling office (who makes the team schedules) does not have an answer yet from 'the powers that be'...see, it's not just the trainees waiting with baited breath for schedules! :wink:
Living the dream
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Some more details about the week were posted on fb today. There will be MS and PLT tracks for each time, mostly for scheduling reasons. I AM SO EXCITED!!!
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

Time is drawing close, are you preparing for your mission?? :D
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Some more details about the week were posted on fb today. There will be MS and PLT tracks for each time, mostly for scheduling reasons. I AM SO EXCITED!!!
I saw that. I am curious as to how those will be assigned and if trading places (intra and/or inter team) will be allowed.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

majtom7 wrote:
wxnerdjenn wrote:Some more details about the week were posted on fb today. There will be MS and PLT tracks for each time, mostly for scheduling reasons. I AM SO EXCITED!!!
I saw that. I am curious as to how those will be assigned and if trading places (intra and/or inter team) will be allowed.
I'm kinda wondering the same thing. Mostly because I really would prefer MS track, but I'd also like to try Flight Director in MOCR, which is traditionally a PLT track position. I would assume that if all parties are agreeable, swapping positions would be allowed. But we'll probably have to wait and see until we get to camp. Fortunately that time is getting closer with every passing minute!
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I asked if we'd be choosing our track or if it'd be assigned and from the response it sounds like we get to choose. (Dibs on PLT on the small team, lol) I know that for the LDM we have to have a position we've already done, but I can't see that there'd be a problem with swapping for one of the shorter missions as long as everyone was in agreement.

In the mean time, I'm trying to decide exactly what to bring. I am going back and forth on hauling my camera gear (Canon 6D) and tripod to do some shots at night and haul the big camera around on a day or two to get good photos. My flights are both on small planes (CR9) so I don't want to try to haul too much on board. Ahhh, decisions decisions.
Team Challenger
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:I asked if we'd be choosing our track or if it'd be assigned and from the response it sounds like we get to choose.
Guess I interpreted things differently... I've never been to a camp where the team sat down and decided positions. Yet given that I tend to be less assertive than others, I'd rather have a choice when I sign up.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

wxnerdjenn wrote:In the mean time, I'm trying to decide exactly what to bring. I am going back and forth on hauling my camera gear (Canon 6D) and tripod to do some shots at night and haul the big camera around on a day or two to get good photos. My flights are both on small planes (CR9) so I don't want to try to haul too much on board. Ahhh, decisions decisions.
For what it's worth, I've flown a handful of flights on CR9s (and some on even smaller planes) and never had a problem getting my carry-on bags to fit. When not checking things, I generally fly with a medium size duffle bag that's a little smaller and more squishy than the standard "roll-aboard" bag and that fits in the overhead compartment without issue. I put my large daypack size backpack under the seat and about the only thing I have to do is take the water bottle out of the outside pocket.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

wxnerdjenn wrote:I am going back and forth on hauling my camera gear (Canon 6D) and tripod to do some shots at night and haul the big camera around on a day or two to get good photos.
I'm happy to say since this is a weeklong program, your crew trainers will have a point and shoot Nikon camera (official camera of Space Camp :mrgreen: ) taking photos of your activities as well, including your missions and EVAs. The photos will be loaded onto DVDs for sale.
Living the dream
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Bringing my DSLR is a MUST when going to Space Camp (and Walt Disney World - where we're headed after camp). No questions. Tripod, however... not sure about that just yet since we're travelling for two weeks and will have very full suitcases. My carry-on items are always medical supplies (a whole bag itself, ugh) and camera equipment. Mission patches will make it into carry on this time too, and maybe the iPad.

Reasoning for the DSLR - I paid good money to be able to make stunning photos. I can ace the composure on our exceptional point-and-shoot but it won't have the same quality, depth of field, or colour. I'm going some place where there are breathtaking scenes and I want to be able to capture those. Granted, I'll probably make the most photos on the days after camp when we're roaming the campus on our own. The DSLR will make it to the training floor and Area 51 for a few days too. (Wishing I had a wide angle lens, though.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

You make a great point about why we even have DSLRs. I am leaning toward bringing mine. I got a spiffy lightweight travel tripod that fits neatly onto the side of my camera backpack (which will also hold my laptop and anything else I want to carry on). I carried it to France and around Paris, so I know it isn't a pain to carry. I already ordered the photo DVD too, and I'm going to make sure I find ALL my point and shoot batteries so I don't have a repeat of my 3 day (battery died right as I was going on the 1/6 chair).

I've only been to camp once, so what is "normal" to me may not be, but we chose our positions for each mission, usually during a meal. Our team only had 10 (this time we will be only 9) and it worked quite well. No fighting over spots at all.
Team Challenger
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

A new announcement about our camp:
It’s my great pleasure to announce that joining Capt. Robert ‘Hoot’ Gibson for your week at Adult Advanced Space Academy is retired Marine Corps Aviator and former Shuttle Astronaut Col. Robert Springer.

You have a great pair of experienced Military Aviators and Shuttle Astronauts that will surely make this an incredible adventure!

Looks like a great training crew!! :)
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

As it turns out, the MS & PLT designations are NOT tracks, just splitting into groups, like shirts & skins.

(Saw John Ramsey's clarification on FB while at lunch)
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Despite the confusion over the "tracks", I am soo thankful for the amount of communication we're getting. Still excited! Can't wait!
Team Challenger
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Despite the confusion over the "tracks", I am soo thankful for the amount of communication we're getting. Still excited! Can't wait!

Agreed! I've always felt that USSRC could be more forthcoming. I appreciate all the effort that John Ramsey is making towards the success of the pilot program.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

street wrote:
wxnerdjenn wrote:Can you verify if my SCUBA form was received? I know all my other ones are filled out. My real life name is Jennifer Henley :-)
Jennifer, I'll have to get that answer on Monday. Our dive master is out of the office today.
Jennifer, I got an answer from our dive master and double checked with our reservations department. Neither have your dive form. Please resend it. For insurance you can also fax it to my office (256-721-7135). Also (and this goes for everyone), bring your original dive form with you to camp. That way you have it in hand in case it didn't get here prior to your arrival.
Living the dream
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

street wrote:
street wrote:
Jennifer, I got an answer from our dive master and double checked with our reservations department. Neither have your dive form. Please resend it. For insurance you can also fax it to my office (256-721-7135). Also (and this goes for everyone), bring your original dive form with you to camp. That way you have it in hand in case it didn't get here prior to your arrival.
Oh yikes! I'll be resending it shortly and making sure I put it in a safe place so I remember to bring it with me. Thanks for checking!
Team Challenger