Book review: Rocket Girl: The Story of Mary Sherman Morgan, America's First Female Rocket Scientist

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Book review: Rocket Girl: The Story of Mary Sherman Morgan, America's First Female Rocket Scientist

Post by Benji »

Rocket Girl is the biography of chemist Mary Sherman Morgan. Morgan invented Hydyne, the fuel which propelled several Jupiter C and Juno I rockets and was instrumental in helping the U.S. catch up to the USSR at the beginning of the Space Race. The book is a work of creative nonfiction (i.e. made-up dialog surrounding real-world events), which makes it an enjoyable read. Throughout the book Morgan's story is interwoven with that of the author's (who is Mary's son) as his discovers his mother's fascinating and historic past, of which he himself did not know until after her death.

Rocket Girl is a story about a historic scientific achievement, a neglected child with a superior intellect who prevails despite the odds, a woman who succeeds and is well-regarded in a previously male-only profession, and a man's discovery of his mother's fantastic but hidden past. Were it not for the author's dedication to uncovering and telling this story, it would almost certainly have been lost to time.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly and highly recommend it.

Links:
Amazon.com: Rocket Girl: The Story of Mary Sherman Morgan, America's First Female Rocket Scientist
Wikipedia: Mary Sherman Morgan
Wikipedia: Hydyne
Ad astra per aspera.