F-18

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Callsign_Einstein
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

F-18

Post by Callsign_Einstein »

Hey I was wondering when there might be an f 18 at AC! It is my favorite plane (possibly because I was in hornets on my first year 8) ) Anyway, I thought it might be once they retire it but i wanted to know what others thought...
Thanks!
My callsign in aviation challenge was Einstein so that explains my username! :D
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Re: F-18

Post by Boomerang »

My guess is if they ever get one it will likely be a while. the FA-18 looks to be in service for the forseeable future especially with the Super Hornet version. And honestly i don't know where they would put it if they could get one it is a pretty decent sized aircraft. Who knows though maybe they could get an older one.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Callsign_Einstein
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Callsign_Einstein »

Speaking of retiring planes, do you think they might get an a-10? It is retiring 2015 or 2016 :?: :?: :?:
My callsign in aviation challenge was Einstein so that explains my username! :D
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I actually have some time in an F-18 and would love to see one at AC, but they don't take the best care of what they have as it is...
Callsign_Einstein wrote:Speaking of retiring planes, do you think they might get an a-10? It is retiring 2015 or 2016 :?: :?: :?:
I wouldn't count the Hog out just yet. They've tried to retire them several times, the Army even wanted to take them over for direct CAS. The Air Farce went bonkers at the suggestion of Army pilots flying any fixed wing jets other than some liaison planes.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The likelihood of AC getting an F-18 any time soon is very low, barring some kind of free donation. There's a list of planes we already have that need restoration, so any funds for planes would probably go towards that. Plus we already have the STA and A-12 projects going on, so we're kind of maxed out in the jet category right now. There is talk of maybe restoring the AC bubble, which is in pretty rough shape...so an F-18 probably isn't very high up on the list at present.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner