2012 janunay crew trainer class

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

celticcowboy
Counselor
Counselor

2012 janunay crew trainer class

Post by celticcowboy »

is the any pointers former and current RA/crew trainers can give some one whom is going to traning in january
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

From my experiences expect the unexpected. Take a lot of notes and study the info they give you but don't be afraid to go beyond it and learn more. Make friends with as many other crew trainers as you can sometimes it helps to study in groups. Training is fun in many ways its alot like being a camper again assuming you were one once since i don't know your camp background. But also keep in mind you will be responsible for everything you are taught in training and you can be tested on any of it. Take the test seriously because though you are given more than one chance to pass them they can and will make or brake you and you can be failed and not become a counselor if you don't pass. That about covers the training aspect of it.

As far as working their. Have fun the people you work with will likely become some of your best friends and will remain so for many years to come i know i have many vgreat friends from 4 years ago when i worked there. Follow the rules they give you especially as an RA believe me people do lose their RA privledges and are made to leave for frequent infractions i saw it happen. Whatever you think of your supervisors keep it quiet because the walls seem to have ears. Just suck it up and do what they say within reason even if at times it seems to make no sense to a normal person. You'll learn what i mean and most of the management people have been in your shoes and have been through it too.

If you have any more specific questions please ask i'm sure i or someone else here can answer.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Jitters
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Jitters »

Take the job seriously, have fun, but be flexible. That's the biggest piece of advice I can give.

Being an RA is fun, it's nice not having a commute to work :) I was an RA for almost a year, but had my fun and just moved out. Definitely make wise decisions- don't do anything stupid while living at camp :D You'll have an RA orientation and they'll go over all the rules with you when you get here next month.

Being a crew trainer is really rewarding, but training is TOUGH. You're going to have long days and cover A LOT. Have pens, paper, a Dixon Ticonderoga #2 pencil (no inferior pencils allowed), highlighters, post its, an organizer, and your brain ready :)

I look forward to meeting you!
Lauren "Jitters" Bice
celticcowboy
Counselor
Counselor

thanks

Post by celticcowboy »

thanks for the advice I cant wait to get there it will be nice to meet ya too