Alumni Camp?????????????

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Alumni Camp?????????????

Post by Boomerang »

OK Space Camp i don't know if you even bother coming here anymore but since my letter seemed to get no response and same with a post about alumni camp on the facebook page maybe someone here can get the message across.

Its clear Space Camp doesn't seem to care whether they alienate alumni or not anymore since we can't even get a response to our concerns. I know the Star Wars exhibit has the big priority right now but it should not be to the exclusion of everything else. This email is concerning the aluni camp this year specificly.

To date the only mention of this camp anywhere has been here and that was last year. Thank you Monkeynaut without you there wouldnt even be that. Yet with just over 2 months till the camp there has been no attempt by the camp to advertise it at all. The only other mention i have seen is on the Hall of fame advertisement that mentions an adult alumni weekend thursday to sunday of that weekend. Yet no mention has been made on facebook, myspace, twitter, here, or the space camp home page. The last 2 years the camp has been atleast half current staff members. The reason being there has been no real attempt to get the word out. Last year there was no announcement till a month before the camp. Does space camp just not care anymore? Are they banking everything on Star wars and praying the rest takes care of itself? Or is it just the continued lack of caring anything about getting alumni support beyond returning youth campers?

With the high cost of travel, the lack of advertising, and the general attitude i see toward alumni still, i ca guarantee this camp will suffer the same problem as the last 2 a lack of enough people to make even 1 team without using curent staff. I know there is no real problem with staff wantiing to participate but the whole idea of the camp in the first place was to get alumni to return to camp not to make half the team alumni and half staff. I was there in 2008 and what i saw was 2 distinct groups on our team. One was the ew alumni who had come the other was the staff. And rarely did the 2 realy mix together because there was a distinct line there. This was as opposed to 2007 when myself and the only other staff member who attended alumni camp were still very much a part of the team.

Space camp seems to once again be setting itself for further alumni isolation and further failure with alum i relations. I would still love to hear nything from camp regarding the last message i posted here but still have not. I know I am not the only alumni who feels this way. Please take your heads out of the Star wars hole and listen to the people who made the camp such a success those who paid your bils by returning year after year.

If any person here with connection to the camp could pass this and the previous message onto someone who could do somethig about this it would be appreciated since noone from camp management seems to look here anymore.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

The Mothership doesn't care to post anything about Alumni camp, but they did have time today to post on Facebook about their big new Popsicle promotion!

"Check out Space Camp in the new Popsicle® promotion this summer! The commercial is available every 30 seconds on the little rotating screen at the bottom."

Thrilling, I know.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Well, it's official. The facebook announcement states that there will be no alumni camp this year.

Taken from Space Camp's facebook page:

" The U.S. Space and Rocket Center has decided to not run an Adult Alumni Camp as part of the Hall of Fame weekend in 2010. This is due in part to the date selected for the 2010 HOF ceremony and the desire to give alumni ample planning notice so that the camp can be a success. Once the 2011 HOF ceremony is set later this... year a full announcement and program details will be posted."
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ok that wasnt expected i was hoping for better than that but atleast they arent trying to rush something to get it in. i will still be there that weekend for the hall of fame but that puts a damper on things.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Read: the last couple of alumni camps have had disappointing turnout and we didn't plan far enough ahead to do anything about it this year.

I'm disappointed, to be sure, but what else were they going to do?
Ad astra per aspera.