Space Camp Japan

Been to an International Space Camp session, either in Huntsville or around the world? Talk about it with others here!

Moderator: Vincent

Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Space Camp Japan

Post by Mdanner423 »

I write to you from Fukuoka, Japan, home of Space World, the former home of Space Camp Japan!

I went around Space World today looking for any sign that a Space Camp was still there. I found a very large and empty training center, with classrooms and alot of room for the MATs and orbiters that once were held there. Upstairs was a lone moon rock, where you could tell trainees once stood around it in awe.

Through translation I was finally able to hear the story of how they couldn't agree to keep the license, where all the stuff went, and how sad they were to see their program go. It was really sad to see an empty shell where a Space Camp once was. They were very gracious about talking to me and telling me as much as they could with limited English.

The park itself is in amazing shape though, it was sooooooo fun! Space Camp was once a part of it, but a relatively small part, and the place is filled with Space themed everything, including a very nice roller coaster!

If anyone is interested in pics, I will post some next week onto this forum message.

Quite an interesting adventure, but I wish I could of seen Space Camp Japan when it was still with us!
-Matthew
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Please send pics!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Yes, pics!

You're such a die-hard Space Camper... America, Turkey, Japan... what's next?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Mdanner423 »

Sorry for the delay, I can't find my camera's USB cord, I will go buy a new one this weekend if tearing through my apartment doesn't do it.

I want to go to Belgium next since it's the only Space Camp I know that is real besides the ones I have gone to.

I think Space Camp Italy has been in construction for over a decade and can't find any actual information about Egypt/India/UAE/Malaysia or South Korea besides a Space Camp logo on the google map found on the official website.

If anyone has some insider knowledge about if/when the new Space Camps will open, fill me in!
-Matthew
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Don't forget Space Camp Spatial Canada! It sureley exists and functions as a real Space Camp! A group of kids from a local school go there every year.
Last edited by SpaceCanada on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jennifer -
Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Mdanner423 »

Sorry it took awhile to get the cord working!!!

http://gallery.me.com/mgd2i/100040

:)

I vote we bring that float and dance to the US!
-Matthew
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Interesting. It's like a space museum and amusement park merged together.

Whas there much evidence that a Space Camp once existed here, or has it all been converted to more amusement park areas? The ice skating area, maybe?

Thanks for sharing. If you have any more information on this amusement park/museum/camp I would love to hear it.
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Space Camp Japan

Post by SpaceCanada »

My (much younger) cousin was supposed to go to Space World (Space Camp Japan) yesterday but she became ill and they had to cancel. They hope to go tomorrow. I will share any photos she sends me, if I am allowed to do so. I might be more excited than she is...

EDIT: Turns out that Space World closed permanently on 01 January 2018. :( My cousin was unable to visit as a result. So sad.
- Jennifer -